Last Dose Of Thyroid Before Thyroid Labs?

SuperStressed

When would it make sense to take your last dose of thyroid medication (im taking tyromix) before you have a blood test for TSH, FT4, Ft3 etc?

Dobbler

That's a tough one. T4 has a half life of 2 weeks, and that's just half life. Also when everything has cleared from your system , thyroid gland is on holiday for 2 to 7 days, depending on the dosage you have been taking. I have no idea how long it takes for TSH to bounce back to baseline.

BUT if you want to see how the product is working and what your lab values are WHILE using it, then taking product for atleast a month before the test would be good because T4 builds up slowly.

OP
SuperStressed

SuperStressed

BUT if you want to see how the product is working and what your lab values are WHILE using it, then taking product for atleast a month before the test would be good because T4 builds up slowly.
Yes this is what I meant. Like, Ive been taking a night time dose so do I take that dose as normal and then do the test when I wake up BEFORE taking my morning dose of tyromix?

I think the T4 half life is 5-7 days so testing after 2 weeks makes sense.

Last edited:

sweetpeat

Yes this is what I meant. Like, Ive been taking a night time dose so do I take that dose as normal and then do the test when I wake up BEFORE taking my morning dose of tyromix?
That is what I do - take my evening dose of thyroid, but nothing on the morning of the test. T4 and TSH should be fairly stable by now as you said. Just keeping in mind that your t3 levels will be in a trough for the test if you do it this way.

Mastemah

Do tests on thyroid. You want to see what your dose is doing. No reason to stop thyroid unless you’re testing to see what you are like without it.

Peater Pan

Do tests on thyroid. You want to see what your dose is doing. No reason to stop thyroid unless you’re testing to see what you are like without it.
Except when your doctor call you 'hyper' and cuts your meds based on useless 'free' tests when you're actually still hypo based on legit diagnostics like symptoms, lipids, temp, pulse, etc. When I'm doing test via Dr., I do not take meds that day or the evening before.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals