L-Lysine And Anxiety?

M

member 2106

I'm prone to oral herpes breakouts, and the only thing that really combats it is L-Lysine. It's very effective, and either expedites healing time or prevents the outbreaks in the first place. The herpes breakouts tend to occur when I'm really tired or under a lot of stress, and usually both go hand in hand.

I've been suffering from astonishingly high levels of anxiety recently (not for the first time in my life), which I can usually manage with Diazepam and CBT, but I'm wondering about a possible connection between Lysine deficiency and anxiety. I mean, it's clear that there must be a tendency towards this deficiency in the first place, which manifests in cold sores and is treated effectively by upping levels of Lysine. So perhaps this deficiency, which may be a chronic one, could be playing a significant role in anxiety and worried thoughts, etc.

I see this has been discussed here before, but it seems a very interesting relationship, one that would be worth exploring a little more. I'm going to take 1-2 grams of Lysine each day for a week or so, and see if it has any effect on anxiety levels.

(On a side note, I do tend to subscribe to the notion that anxiety/panic issues should be ultimately be confronted a la Claire Weekes, but at the same time I think addressing possible deficiencies in such a way as to promote general stress reduction should also be a part of the strategy).

Last edited by a moderator:

yomama

L-Lysine has no anxiolytic effect at all on me, same for the L-Theanine which just make me a bit sleepy for no more than 2/3 hours, what I found really calming and relaxing is Taurine, at a dose of 3~5 gr split throughout the day.
Cannot answer about the relationship between nutritional deficiencies and anxiety but if you need to control panic attacks I better suggest drugs like Propranolol instead of Diazepam, no dependency issues etc. but keep in mind that Propranolol is a drug used to lower blood pressure, so if you BP is already low, you suffer bradicardy or you have hypothyroidism etc. you cannot take it.

InChristAlone

Drugs like beta blockers are not going to address why you are having panic attacks. I feel like drugs are suggested too often for true mental disorders. The only thing that has been of lasting help for my hyper-adrenaline is learning to love myself. Anxiety can be a symptom of needing to change your lifestyle.

Quality

It seems im quite sensitive to lysine aswell, minor anxiety increase (i know it sounds odd, guess my serotonin dropping too low) in doses as low @ 500mg twice daily, wonderfull to lower serotonin in the gut though.

Last edited:
OP
M

member 2106

Drugs like beta blockers are not going to address why you are having panic attacks. I feel like drugs are suggested too often for true mental disorders. The only thing that has been of lasting help for my hyper-adrenaline is learning to love myself. Anxiety can be a symptom of needing to change your lifestyle.

I think there's a lot of truth in what you say. Anxiety sometimes seems like a form of self-destruction, so a bit of self-love, if you can find it, is important to counter that. And yes, a significant, positive change in lifestyle can make a difference. Thank you.

OP
M

member 2106

It seems im quite sensitive to lysine aswell, minor anxiety increase (i know it sounds odd, guess my serotonin dropping too low) in doses as low @ 500mg twice daily, wonderfull to lower serotonin in the gut though.

Have you tried Taurine?

Quality

I have and its awesome, but it seems to be giving me bloodshot eyes in doses I find effective though ( as most No boosters do to me ), Ive taken taurine in doses of 8gram at once before, felt very liberating and anxiolytic.
I know citrulline is not recommended but it did seem to relax me alot aswell, though that might have to do with the fact that I have slightly elevated blood pressure.
Avoiding citrulline like the plague though, ive seen multiple information about it even promoting tumor growth!
De antikatabole werking van glycine - shame its in dutch for you guys

yomama

I think there's a lot of truth in what you say. Anxiety sometimes seems like a form of self-destruction, so a bit of self-love, if you can find it, is important to counter that. And yes, a significant, positive change in lifestyle can make a difference. Thank you.

Your against taking a beta blocker for panic attacks but you have no problem in taking drugs like Diazepam, not to mention you trust in self-love to make a difference...
Interesting, for sure.

OP
M

member 2106

Your against taking a beta blocker for panic attacks but you have no problem in taking drugs like Diazepam, not to mention you trust in self-love to make a difference...
Interesting, for sure.

I've taken beta blockers in the past, but find that Diazepam works better for me when the anxiety gets really bad. I only take it as needed. I'm aware of the possible dependence issues you mention.

InChristAlone

Self love absolutely makes a difference because it gives you the confidence to treat your body.very well. Chronic stress can cause a chronically low blood glucose causing anxiety.

OP
M

member 2106

L-Lysine has no anxiolytic effect at all on me, same for the L-Theanine which just make me a bit sleepy for no more than 2/3 hours, what I found really calming and relaxing is Taurine, at a dose of 3~5 gr split throughout the day.
Cannot answer about the relationship between nutritional deficiencies and anxiety but if you need to control panic attacks I better suggest drugs like Propranolol instead of Diazepam, no dependency issues etc. but keep in mind that Propranolol is a drug used to lower blood pressure, so if you BP is already low, you suffer bradicardy or you have hypothyroidism etc. you cannot take it.

I'm definitely going to try Taurine. A lot of people, including you, seem to report anxiolytic effects from it.

OP
M

member 2106

Interesting, for sure.

Does the self-love thing not ring true for you? I guess everyone's experience of anxiety is different. In my case, self-love, or even just self-esteem, are really important, because chronic anxiety can sometimes make me an enemy of myself. Doing things like eating well, and taking care of myself, make a big difference. And I know that, in my case at least, the problem is not simply a deficiency of this or that (mine stems from a trauma), although addressing potential deficiencies can certainly help!

yomama

I suffered of panic attacks for years. First time I took the Propranolol was like pulling the parking brake while speeding on the highway but only after that I was able to start a self analysis process and to adjust nutrition and supplementation to my condition, if this is what you means for self-love. Beta blockers are effective for panic issues depending on the dose which must be adjusted to your body. In my opinion Diazepam will sink you into misery, but that is just my opinion.
Taurine is safe, cheap and effective, the only I blame is the over stimulation of hepatic bile production, after some time I can now tolerate up to 3~5 gr without the need to visit the wc repeatedly. Also, a B-complex supplement could help to normalize your neurological status.

OP
M

member 2106

I suffered of panic attacks for years. First time I took the Propranolol was like pulling the parking brake while speeding on the highway but only after that I was able to start a self analysis process and to adjust nutrition and supplementation to my condition, if this is what you means for self-love. Beta blockers are effective for panic issues depending on the dose which must be adjusted to your body. In my opinion Diazepam will sink you into misery, but that is just my opinion.
Taurine is safe, cheap and effective, the only I blame is the over stimulation of hepatic bile production, after some time I can now tolerate up to 3~5 gr without the need to visit the wc repeatedly. Also, a B-complex supplement could help to normalize your neurological status.

Thanks for the advice! I'll let you know how the Taurine goes. What I seek most of all is calm, and genuine relaxation, and a sense of robustness too.

furball

It's not a coincidence you get herpes break outs and anxiety.

Root cause of both is serotonin.

Lysine opposes serotonin.

I would also focus on gut health, a few decent hits of charcoal and daily carrot salad.

OP
M

member 2106

It's not a coincidence you get herpes break outs and anxiety.

Root cause of both is serotonin.

Lysine opposes serotonin.

I would also focus on gut health, a few decent hits of charcoal and daily carrot salad.

Can you point to any studies about the link between herpes and serotonin? That relationship would make some anecdotal sense to me. I really need to start taking the carrot salad again, I've got out of the habit, but for a lot of people it seems essential.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals