Warning To People Taking Lysine

L

lollipop

Yes, just one day of not taking it made a difference
This is why I am careful what I stay on regularly, daily, and without a break...almost nothing other than NDT and maybe digestive enzymes.

cyclops

I'm surprised anybody actually notices any difference from taking isolated amino acids. There's obviously plenty of research in support of them, especially BCAAs blocking serotonin, but these are often in controlled environments, short lived and not meant to be long term. I think there's a reason why Ray doesn't recommend isolated amino acids. The manufacturing processes alone are not always trustworthy. I tried supplementing with BCAAs, L-phenylalanine, and Tyrosine. I noticed from BCAAs that my perceived exertion and recovery from workouts was better, probably because it is tryptophan release from muscle breakdown, and subsequently an increase in serotonin that induces the feeling of fatigue. I don't discount this, but I also ended up realizing that there are other, more effective ways to achieve the same end, namely a drink with lots of sugar while I workout (preventing the spike in cortisol, and thus preventing muscle tissue breakdown- to a lesser degree, less tryptophan and serotonin).

Gelatin is IMO the best of all, and isolated amino acids are in the end probably nothing more than an experiment, not something you can really take day in, day out and notice huge improvements from it. Not discounting anybody's experience, but I always notice that the supplements Ray recommends (pregnenolone, progesterone, thyroid, aspirin, niacinamide, cascara) usually are the best things, that I actually feel working. And playing around with other things is fun, but I tend to always come back to the ones ray recommends.

Going down the path of nutritionism isn't the best route, and eventually you find that eating real food works best for getting nutrients, along with some helpful hormones.

I wonder why Ray seems to be more ok with supplementing isolated vitamins vs isolated aminos. I guess vitamins are somewhat safer?

OP
Vinero

Vinero

6 grams is a ridiculous amount. Why did you take it to such an extreme. I think 500mg is an ok daily amount but still I would pulse it, on and off
I took 6 grams because thats the same amount the research studies on lysine used to reduce nitric oxide.

Kunder

As of late I take daily over 15 grams of bcaa, 15 grams of glycine, 10 grams of lysine, 15 grams of taurine, 15 grams of betaalananine and 5 grams threonin....and i feel....absolutely nothing. Just nuttin. Good or bad.

So go figure.

ddjd

As of late I take daily over 15 grams of bcaa, 15 grams of glycine, 10 grams of lysine, 15 grams of taurine, 15 grams of betaalananine and 5 grams threonin....and i feel....absolutely nothing. Just nuttin. Good or bad.

So go figure.
these are ridiculous amounts....are you winding us up?

OP
Vinero

Vinero

So go figure.
Stop taking it.
See what happens.

Kunder

these are ridiculous amounts....are you winding us up?

Not kidding. And I dont think these are particularly high amounts. On the contrary I find it very hard to believe someone can get any effect at all from ridiculously tiny amounts like 500 mgs. A glass of milk has more aminos.

That said, because of the absolute absence of any effect whatsoever I will be cutting this all out once my multi kilogram supplies run out. I’ve been on this for about 5 months.

By the way my usual real food protein on top of the above aminos is about 120-200 grams gaily. Milk, cheese, gelatin, meat.

ddjd

Not kidding. And I dont think these are particularly high amounts. On the contrary I find it very hard to believe someone can get any effect at all from ridiculously tiny amounts like 500 mgs. A glass of milk has more aminos.

That said, because of the absolute absence of any effect whatsoever I will be cutting this all out once my multi kilogram supplies run out. I’ve been on this for about 5 months.

By the way my usual real food protein on top of the above aminos is about 120-200 grams gaily. Milk, cheese, gelatin, meat.
just 1 x 00 size capsule of lysine and i benefit from low nitric oxide and serotonin for about 4-5 hours. same for BCAAs.

i just dont understand how our bodies can be so different. how can you not feel anything from 15g of all of those powders. its insane. 15g of beta alanine is madness. ive experimented with all those things you listed and i would only ever take about 1g of each a day. do you take them on empty stomach and seperately to test for full absorption?

Kunder

just 1 x 00 size capsule of lysine and i benefit from low nitric oxide and serotonin for about 4-5 hours. same for BCAAs.

i just dont understand how our bodies can be so different. how can you not feel anything from 15g of all of those powders. its insane. 15g of beta alanine is madness. ive experimented with all those things you listed and i would only ever take about 1g of each a day. do you take them on empty stomach and seperately to test for full absorption?

You have a typo in the first sentence, did you mean 500 mg capsule?

I take it on empty stomach, with grape juice+maple syrup, that means about 50 to 60 grams of carbs. I wait at least 15-20 minutes and then i have my regular food, typically high protein like cheese, eggs or milk.

And yes, it is weird the different effects, or the absence of thereof.

How exactly do you know the NO or serotonin has been lowered for those 5 hours?

And if a tiny x miligram capsule does that, wouldn’t you have to have the same effect from a glass of milk? Or one chicken breast?

ddjd

You have a typo in the first sentence, did you mean 500 mg capsule?

I take it on empty stomach, with grape juice+maple syrup, that means about 50 to 60 grams of carbs. I wait at least 15-20 minutes and then i have my regular food, typically high protein like cheese, eggs or milk.

And yes, it is weird the different effects, or the absence of thereof.

How exactly do you know the NO or serotonin has been lowered for those 5 hours?

And if a tiny x miligram capsule does that, wouldn’t you have to have the same effect from a glass of milk? Or one chicken breast?
no isolated amino acids are a lot more effective otherwise they compete with each other for absorption. are you taking them all at the same time? that could be why you dont notice anything. i would try each one in isolation on seperate days. but still its completely strange.

with regards to the typo - i mean one 00 size capsule, which is about 1 gram yes.

Kunder

no isolated amino acids are a lot more effective otherwise they compete with each other for absorption. are you taking them all at the same time? that could be why you dont notice anything. i would try each one in isolation on seperate days. but still its completely strange.

Yes all at once. Btw i started with taurine on its own, for about 6 months, didnt feel anything either.

And also, add 5 grams of creatine to the list. Daily. I can’t say i’ve gotten bigger either. Did a full loading week at the beginning with 30 grams a day.

B

Braveheart

Linus Pauling Therapy protocol...
At least daily:
6000 mg vitamin C divided in doses of 1000 mg,
L-Lysine 6000 mg
L-Proline 2000 mg

Last edited by a moderator:
L

lollipop

Linus Pauling Therapy protocol...
Atleast daily:
6000 mg vitamin C divided in doses of 1000 mg,
L-Lysine 6000 mg
L-Proline 2000 mg
Was this for “medicinal effect” or simply maintenance? That is seriously high doses. For how long would this protocol be recommended to follow?

B

Braveheart

Was this for “medicinal effect” or simply maintenance? That is seriously high doses. For how long would this protocol be recommended to follow?
PROPHYLACTIC/PREVENTION: Linus Pauling recommended that every adult should take at least 3 grams of vitamin C, and 1-2 grams of L-lysine every day as a preventative against heart attacks and stroke.

MILDLY THERAPEUTIC: And those who are considered high risk, (that is, anyone whose mother, father, sister, or brother, has had a heart attack or stroke), should take at least 3 to 6 grams of vitamin C and 2 to 3 grams of lysine per day.

THERAPEUTIC: Pauling recommended that those who have had a heart attack or stroke should take at least 6 or more grams of vitamin C and 4 to 6 grams of lysine.

These, together with a general anti-oxidant recommendation which included vitamin A and E, were his specific recommendation for the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular disease. After his death, the Lp(a) proline binding sites were discovered and Dr. Pauling's associate, Matthias Rath, recommends proline as a "binding inhibitor" partner with lysine.

L

lollipop

PROPHYLACTIC/PREVENTION: Linus Pauling recommended that every adult should take at least 3 grams of vitamin C, and 1-2 grams of L-lysine every day as a preventative against heart attacks and stroke.

MILDLY THERAPEUTIC: And those who are considered high risk, (that is, anyone whose mother, father, sister, or brother, has had a heart attack or stroke), should take at least 3 to 6 grams of vitamin C and 2 to 3 grams of lysine per day.

THERAPEUTIC: Pauling recommended that those who have had a heart attack or stroke should take at least 6 or more grams of vitamin C and 4 to 6 grams of lysine.

These, together with a general anti-oxidant recommendation which included vitamin A and E, were his specific recommendation for the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular disease. After his death, the Lp(a) proline binding sites were discovered and Dr. Pauling's associate, Matthias Rath, recommends proline as a "binding inhibitor" partner with lysine.
Fascinating. Thank you @bzmazu :):