Anxiety Medication

inthedark

I'm going through a particularly demanding time at the moment, doing school for a new career and a practicum for said career, along with the rest of life's demands. I've been experiencing a large amount of anxiety because of all this. I'm in the northern hemisphere on the coast so the lack of sunlight tends to make anxiety worse this time of year. I usually successfully use metergoline from September to April to help, but with all that's going on it seems to not be enough.

Given this context, does anyone have recommendations for anxiety medications or supps that they have successfully used to reduce anxiety symptoms? I don't want SSRIs or benzos, and I'd prefer something that I don't need to take everyday. So far I've come across Mirtazapine and Gabapentin as possibilities. Lisuride could be good, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't differ much from Metergoline, which I already use.

lampofred

Calcium, vitamin D, gelatin, red light are pretty anti-anxiety for me.

OP
I

inthedark

have you tried plain ole l theanine?

I've had mixed experiences with theanine. Last year I tried it and got almost an allergic reaction but more recently I tried again and it doesn't seem to do much. Maybe if I incorporate it every day.

Mhtro

I had crippling anxiety and Phenibut did wonders for me.
It's highly addictive so be careful, other than that kratom, minerals and maybe some good Probiotics might help " Dr. Formulated Probiotics Mood+" is supposedly a good one but don't quote me on that.

boris

Ray On Anxiety / Neurosteroids
RP: "I’ve seen increased sugar, and/or calcium, and/or magnesium, and/or vitamin D, and/or vitamin B6, and/or other B vitamins, and/or pregnenolone, thyroid, progesterone, testosterone, relieve it. Sometimes a beta-blocker like propranolol gives immediate relief."

Arnold Grape

have you tried plain ole l theanine?
2nd — something tells me this works better when used sporadically and with caffeine, but I have been getting a bit of mileage out of this lately, with increased focus. My other thing is drinking about 6-8 ounces of magnesium bicarbonate water with a splash of juice. If you are so brazen, just take progesterone, which is the mothership/ anesthetic approach to ameliorating anxiety symptoms.

OP
I

inthedark

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I've got most of my vitamins and minerals pretty good. I tried a few(9) mg of progesterone and a 500mg cap of Inositine and it seems to be very effective.

aguineapig

Buspirone is an interesting one I am just starting to experiment with. Raises dopamine and Noradrenaline, lowers serotonin. Generally fairly well tolerated, not the crazy long list of nuclear grade side effects as with ssri.

Beta blockers are very very useful for me as well. Propranolol is a decent one, but with prolonged used it can possibly raise serotonin, lower t3, and cause some sleep issues. Atenolol is theoretically Superior in these ways, it doesn't cross the blood brain barrier and isn't lipophilic like propranolol. Some studies find beta blockers as effective as benzos, though this is individual and likely depends on Benzos naivety.

OP
I

inthedark

Sorry I just realized I said "Inositine" up there when I mean Inositol. I've been taking 1g before bed and 500mg-1g during the day and I'm VERY impressed/surprised at how well this affordable and accessible supplement mitigates my anxiety, even without the progesterone I mentioned above. This leads me to believe my anxiety has been due in part to high adrenaline. Taking Inositol also makes it so I can drink much more coffee before adverse affects become apparent.

southcesar

Does anyone here have experience with long term use of propranolol / atenolol and could they tell me if they ended up experiencing side effects, particularly hair loss?

Frankdee20

Medications such as the antihistamine hydrazine (blocks 5HT2A), buspirone (activates 5HT1A), mirtazepine (similar to cyproheptadine) are generally considered safe and non habit forming.

southcesar

Does anyone here have experience with long term use of propranolol / atenolol and could they tell me if they ended up experiencing side effects, particularly hair loss?
I've found this:
The hair loss from propranolol is not permanent and is typically a result of telogen effluvium.

Cosmetic side effects, as is alopecia, are one of the most frequently reported side effect categories in anti-epileptic drugs (AED) and have a high intolerability rate.