L-Lysine And Anxiety?

Elephanto

Can you point to any studies about the link between herpes and serotonin? That relationship would make some anecdotal sense to me. I really need to start taking the carrot salad again, I've got out of the habit, but for a lot of people it seems essential.

It's wrong. arginine promotes herpes virus replication by way of nitric oxide. In short, nitric oxide promotes herpes, not serotonin, and since lysine is a competitor of arginine uptake it prevents herpes breakout.

MB50

I'll look into this. What was your experience with it?

12g seems to just change how your brain interprets the world. There is no sedative effect, I just get really comfortable in whatever situation I'm in and enjoy talking with others. The only side effect from higher doses is possible Bloating and gastro intestinal discomfort. Studies have used 20g in a single dose for months and there were no significant side effects. So I'd suggest starting low and increasing as needed and take with some food.

Quality

Another overlooked fact by many on this forum, where its generally known for its serotonin antagonist and NO blocker properties is that lysine is necesarry for carnitine synthesis, do not forget that.

OP
M

member 2106

12g seems to just change how your brain interprets the world. There is no sedative effect, I just get really comfortable in whatever situation I'm in and enjoy talking with others. The only side effect from higher doses is possible Bloating and gastro intestinal discomfort. Studies have used 20g in a single dose for months and there were no significant side effects. So I'd suggest starting low and increasing as needed and take with some food.

From what I've read so far, it's pro-serotonin. Do you think that's actually the case?

MB50

From what I've read so far, it's pro-serotonin. Do you think that's actually the case?

I am not a trained scientist, but I read through a lot of studies trying to figure that out. It seems like the only reason some people say that on the internet is a study found that patients who didn't respond to SSRI's also didn't respond to myo-inositol. So, they are assuming that the mechanism of action is similar. However, studies have been done looking at the actual level of monamines following myo-inositol supplementation and they did not change. Myo-inositol and its effects seem to stem from its affect on cell signaling, which includes dopamine and serotonin receptor signaling. I am hoping at some point, somebody with a deeper knowledge will look into it because it seems to have great effects for PCOS, anxiety, depression, and insulin sensitivity.

Last edited:
Drugs like beta blockers are not going to address why you are having panic attacks. I feel like drugs are suggested too often for true mental disorders. The only thing that has been of lasting help for my hyper-adrenaline is learning to love myself. Anxiety can be a symptom of needing to change your lifestyle.

100 percent

Martkos1

It's not a coincidence you get herpes break outs and anxiety.

Root cause of both is serotonin.

Lysine opposes serotonin.

I would also focus on gut health, a few decent hits of charcoal and daily carrot salad.

Hey - first time i´m posting here. I tried using. Lysine 1 gr. 3 times daily - felt a great relief first and thought i´m finally free of my anxiety. Unfortunately the happy feeling turned around after a few days and i went through severe panic attacks. My legs were so wobbly i had the feeling i could not move anymore and the panic attacks were back to back. Much stronger and forcefuller than i ever had them. I am recovering now with 5 htp which had an almost immediate effect in stopping the panic. So what is the matter with lysine? Why was i at first feeling better and then much worse? What do you guys think?

InChristAlone

Hey - first time i´m posting here. I tried using. Lysine 1 gr. 3 times daily - felt a great relief first and thought i´m finally free of my anxiety. Unfortunately the happy feeling turned around after a few days and i went through severe panic attacks. My legs were so wobbly i had the feeling i could not move anymore and the panic attacks were back to back. Much stronger and forcefuller than i ever had them. I am recovering now with 5 htp which had an almost immediate effect in stopping the panic. So what is the matter with lysine? Why was i at first feeling better and then much worse? What do you guys think?
Do you think it lowered stress hormones too much? The wobbly legs leads me to believe that.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals