Killer CT SCANS

"Now, people who don’t want x-rays are treated as crackpots. Probably because of this cultural situation, Gofman’s recommendations are very mild--simply for doctors to use good technology and to know what they are doing, which could lead to ten-fold or even hundred-fold dose reduction. Even with such mild restraint in the use of diagnostic x-rays, Gofman’s well founded estimate is that 250,000 deaths caused by radiation could be prevented annually. I believe many more deaths would be prevented if ultrasound and MRI were used consistently instead of x-rays. Using Gofman’s estimate, I think we can blame at least ten million deaths on just the medical x-rays that have been used inappropriately because of the policies of the U.S. government in the last half century. That wouldn’t include the deaths caused by radioactive fallout from bomb tests and leaks from nuclear power plants, or the vast numbers of people mentally impaired by all sorts of toxic radiation." -Ray Peat

"According to CR investigators, here are some shocking statistics:

One CT scan can expose you to as much radiation as 200 chest X-rays.

Researchers estimate that at least 2% of all future cancers in the U.S.—approximately 29,000 cases per year—will stem from CT scans alone.

15,000 people are estimated to die each year because of cancers caused by the radiation in CT scans.

One CT scan of the abdomen or pelvis delivers more radiation than most residents of Fukushima, Japan absorbed after the nuclear power plant accident in 2011.

Almost 35% of imaging tests are ordered mainly as a defensive effort by doctors to avoid lawsuits, not because of true medical need, according to a study presented at the 2011 meeting of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons.

Cancers from medical radiation can take anywhere from five to 60 years to develop, depending on age and lifestyle.

In a 2012 study of 67 medical providers, less than one-half of the clinicians caring for patients undergoing abdominal CT scans said they knew that the scans could cause cancer.

In another study, only 9% of 45 emergency-room physicians said they knew that CT scans increased cancer risk.

A 2013 Australian study comparing more than 680,000 people who had CT scans as children with 10 million who did not have a CT scan showed that the former had a 24% increased cancer risk, and each added scan boosted risk an additional 16%.

Children who had a CT scan before the age of five had a 35% increased cancer risk.

Researchers estimate that for every 1,000 children who have an abdominal CT scan, one will develop cancer as a result.

A 2012 study that looked at almost 180,000 British children linked CT scans to higher rates of leukemia and brain cancer.

Less than 10% of people surveyed said their doctor had warned them about radiation risks of medical imaging.

Almost as many people surveyed (17%) were very concerned about magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) –which doesn’t emit any radiation — as were concerned about CT scans (19%).

Reducing CT radiation doses could almost halve the number of future radiation-related cancers, according to a 2013 study in the journal JAMA Pediatrics."

gaze

hospitals really are one of the worst places to be. clueless doctors harming clueless patients. tragedy all around. it's noones fault in particular, the ideologies run deep and are rooted into people at a very young age in med school. Doctors and nurses do important work, but the entire system has been led badly astray. lots of hospital victims and more to come

Last edited:

BodhiBlues

I have been saying for years that the best way to stay healthy is to avoid hospitals. Iatrogenic illness is a huge problem and when doctors go on strike, fewer people die.

JamesGatz

This is scary sh*t - I remember getting one before finding RP when my health was in bad shape haha I just try not to think about it - what makes me wonder is how dangerous is being a radiation technician in the room controlling the CT scans - surely that amount of radiation cannot be confined to that one little room and must travel outside to other rooms and to other floors

Anyway I hate hospitals and will never step foot in one again - last time I was there (years ago) I had a doctor tell me "you know anxiety is caused by mental illness right ?" when I told him I was taking B3 to help me relax and focus - I was like f*** let me get out of here before I get myself into trouble because this c*nt just called me mentally ill for taking a supplement ... absolutely brain-dead.

babies getting mutilated for their foreskins on one floor, patients getting annihilated with radiation in another, another person dies from a ventilator in another, and then someone getting prescribed SSRI's in another - hospitals are a manifestation of so many evils into one building

Last edited:
I stop chest xray but when my molar started to ache I went for an dental xray & im nervous of the radiation. I corrected my diet and no more molar pain. I hope my molar adjust in a natural way so no tooth extraction.

Perry Staltic

Doctors have let technology seduce them away from the maxim, "Foremost, do no harm." Now it's "Foremost, treat even if it harms." In fact, they don't think it's possible to treat unless they do harm. That's how far medicine has fallen. This article by an MD, though poorly written, is illuminating because it shows what a confused state doctors' minds are in.

Medicine cannot be practiced without causing harm. Those supposedly sacred words are a lie. Any treatment that has an effect will also have side effects. Any hope of benefit will also be accompanied by a risk of harm. That is a fundamental, but often overlooked, rule of medicine.

Last edited:

achillea

Dr. Amanda Vollmer says in her new book on DMSO that taking 1/2 tsp 50% DMSO with aloe or water each day for 7 days before an x ray will help mitigate or prevent the damage of ionizing radiation in the body, She has protocol for CT too.
Also red light treatment asap after.

Rafe

RP was asked once to answer the point that, “Well, a typical x-ray is no more ionizing radiation than you’d get from traveling in an airliner.”

I’m characterizing his answer, which I think can be found in one of the John Barkhousen Politics & Science interviews:

Ionizing radiation at elevation (airliner, on top of a mountain) will just go through you & continue. But it is ionizing radiation that gets inside buildings (windows) that then is trapped & degrades into unknown elements that seems more a comparative threat. It just keeps bouncing around as it degrades. Going to @JamesGatz ‘s point about the lead-lined rooms where the nuclear equipment is, well, you might not want to work 60 hrs a week in there.

I don’t think that’s an argument for removing windows from office buildings.

I think it’s incidentally an argument for refusing work in office buildings. Or living in windowless dorm rooms.

Steve

Ugh....I had a CT scan of my head.....oral surgeon said it was required so he could see the nerve line prior to pulling my wisdom tooth that was causing problems.
Now you've added to my list of possible health problems to be paranoid about. :(

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Ugh....I had a CT scan of my head.....oral surgeon said it was required so he could see the nerve line prior to pulling my wisdom tooth that was causing problems.
Now you've added to my list of possible health problems to be paranoid about. :(

I'm sorry Steve. I fell the same way, as my husband just had one last night in the hospital. It made me sick last night, reading about CT scans, and I made this thread immediately to warn others. I told him this morning you better start doing everything you can now to combat weak bones and cancer. That means LOTS of calcium, natural vitamin D, vitamin C and NO PUFA's.

DrJ

As someone who did advanced research in the design and optimization of CT scanners for radiation dose and having also designed several CT systems for non-human use and doing the relevant radiation calculations, I say this: always prefer to get an MRI if possible (but avoid the gadolinium-based contrast agents).

gaze

I'm sorry Steve. I fell the same way, as my husband just had one last night in the hospital. It made me sick last night, reading about CT scans, and I made this thread immediately to warn others. I told him this morning you better start doing everything you can now to combat weak bones and cancer. That means LOTS of calcium, natural vitamin D, vitamin C and NO PUFA's.
reading about getting harmed, after you've already been harmed, is a horrible feeling. it's never easy. has happened to me with asbestos, fluoroquinolones, x rays. only thing there is to do is embrace it and look forward

peateats1

Just as a side note MRI's do emit some radiation according to Dr Peat, but it's about 1000 times less than that emitted from a Ct scan. He compared it to regular cell phone use. So MRI's do carry some risk.

Rafe

As someone who did advanced research in the design and optimization of CT scanners for radiation dose and having also designed several CT systems for non-human use and doing the relevant radiation calculations, I say this: always prefer to get an MRI if possible (but avoid the gadolinium-based contrast agents).
Thank you for being in here & contributing that.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
reading about getting harmed, after you've already been harmed, is a horrible feeling. it's never easy. has happened to me with asbestos, fluoroquinolones, x rays. only thing there is to do is embrace it and look forward

My stomach is churning from all this. Awhile ago when he told the doc the story about this all coming on from the tetanus shot THEY gave him last Fall, a nurse came in trying persuade him to let them give him a flu vaccine!

Perry Staltic

I stop chest xray but when my molar started to ache I went for an dental xray & im nervous of the radiation. I corrected my diet and no more molar pain. I hope my molar adjust in a natural way so no tooth extraction.

Dental xrays are apparently not as strong as they used to be when they used film.

Lollipop2

Are there different levels of CT scans? Meaning some with more radiation than others? I have heard they can run different CT’s like low dose etc...

DrJ

Are there different levels of CT scans? Meaning some with more radiation than others? I have heard they can run different CT’s like low dose etc...
For sure. There's a huge variability in radiation dose that can depend on protocol used and body region scanned. It can depend on the tech, institution policies, and/or radiologist. CT scanners are designed to fit obese people but this geometry is not ideal in terms of dose for children and thin people.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I talked to my husband a bit ago from the hospital, and since I am not vaccinated I am not allowed to go in the hospital to see him, but he said they wanted do ANOTHER CT Scan and he declined. Two more nurses came into verify that he was declining it and when another nurse asked him if he declined it, he said yes and he proceeded to inform her of what I posted in this thread and sent to him last might, l saying, "Did you know that one CT scans has 200 times the radiation of one chest x-ray?" She said "Yes" and "good for you." He said it was like she was impressed that he wasn't blindly agreeing to everything.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals