Alternatives To Mammogram Using CT Scan

yerrag

Ray has talked about his preference for using MRI and ultrasound for mammograms instead of the widely used CT Scan. Reading from Is MRI Contrast Agent Worth Risk , I understand that it can be more nuanced, and I wonder if @Ras @DrJ, you can give your take on this.

I have a friend who has been on chemotherapy for the past 14 years for breast cancer. Every quarter, she undergoes a CT scan, which is as often as she gets her chemotherapy. I have told her about considering asking her oncologist to change the mammogram from using CT scans to MRI and ultrasound. However, I would really like to provide her with specifics, so that she can sound knowledgeable when discussing this with her oncologist.

Could you provide some insight into this? Things like would MRI work well without contrast dye when it comes to breast tissue? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each of the methods? Would it be better to have both MRI and Ultrasound so as to get a better interpretation?

Thanks.

Ras

We've only recently begun to venture into the world of MRI breast screenings and biopsies. To answer your latter questions, I'll have to talk with our breast-specializing radiologist.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

We've only recently begun to venture into the world of MRI breast screenings and biopsies. To answer your latter questions, I'll have to talk with our breast-specializing radiologist.
Thanks for checking on it Ras.

L

lollipop

Check out Thermography for safe testing. I use it. Uses infrared. Safe for practicioner and for patient.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Check out Thermography for safe testing. I use it. Uses infrared. Safe for practicioner and for patient.
Will do Lisa. Is it new or it's just under the radar? Thanks.

L

lollipop

Will do Lisa. Is it new or it's just under the radar? Thanks.
Under the radar. Mostly doctor groups use for safe diagnostics. They do not need to cut into the body using it.

Here in Dallas, there is a dedicated testing center not associated with a doctor’ Office. You might look it up for ideas:

Thermography Center of Dallas

DrJ

Sorry I don't know enough about the efficacy of MRI for breast screening to say anything meaningful.

Are the quarterly CT scans actually for breast screening? Or are they monitoring a tumor volume to track its response to treatment?

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Sorry I don't know enough about the efficacy of MRI for breast screening to say anything meaningful.

Are the quarterly CT scans actually for breast screening? Or are they monitoring a tumor volume to track its response to treatment?
It's the latter, to monitor tumor volume.

DrJ

It's the latter, to monitor tumor volume.
I think most cancers can be easily seen with MRI. But MRI machines and scan cost are much more expensive than CT so they prefer to use CT when possible.

I guess it depends on what healthcare system your friend is in as to if they could get switched to MRI for scanning instead.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I think most cancers can be easily seen with MRI. But MRI machines and scan cost are much more expensive than CT so they prefer to use CT when possible.

I guess it depends on what healthcare system your friend is in as to if they could get switched to MRI for scanning instead.
That's good to know. Thanks.