Juicing your own oranges

dukez07

How easy is it?

How many oranges do you need to use, to get a quart of OJ?

Is it affordable?

Does it take much time out of your day?

You will need fifteen small oranges for a quart of juice. I used an electric juicer and it took about five minutes per glass. It is much cheaper than buying juice because you can get a kilogram of fruit for one euro when you buy enough; this also goes for organic oranges. I don't recommend eating oranges now unless you can find them frozen, it will ruin your intestine. Organic juice from frozen oranges sells for like eight dollars per quart where I live.

Filip1993

Such_Saturation said:
You will need fifteen small oranges for a quart of juice. I used an electric juicer and it took about five minutes per glass. It is much cheaper than buying juice because you can get a kilogram of fruit for one euro when you buy enough; this also goes for organic oranges. I don't recommend eating oranges now unless you can find them frozen, it will ruin your intestine. Organic juice from frozen oranges sells for like eight dollars per quart where I live.

Why don't you recommend oranges (orange juice too I guess?!) now? Because it's hard to find ripe ones?

Filip1993 said:
Such_Saturation said:

Why don't you recommend oranges (orange juice too I guess?!) now? Because it's hard to find ripe ones?

Indeed, I stopped around the end of April because the sugar was pretty much gone. Also I got worse metabolism from them.

loess

Juicing fresh oranges can be very affordable if you buy by the case. If you can find a wholesaler in your area, you can often get even better prices than buying cases from the grocery stores. Right now I am paying around $28 for a box of 113 small non-organic valencia oranges. If you are in the US here is a searchable database of wholesale produce companies.

I used to use an electric juicer but switched over to a manual citrus press and it is much quicker and easier to clean up. I have the OrangeX; it is rather pricey new but I bought mine used off Craigslist. There is one on eBay right now for $33 + shipping. It was well worth it for me as I juice oranges pretty much every day.

You can add a bit of baking soda to a glass of OJ to offset the acidity, but yes, stay away from oranges that are picked extremely unripe. Valencia oranges from California are in season right now and have been pretty good lately.

Filip1993

Such_Saturation said:
Filip1993 said:
Such_Saturation said:

Indeed, I stopped around the end of April because the sugar was pretty much gone. Also I got worse metabolism from them.

I agree, the oranges I have access to are very unripe. They give me endotoxin symptoms. I don't even now what to eat right now besides milk, eggs, liver, coffee, gelatin and white sugar. It's so hard to find good quality food that doesn't cause problems, I can definitely see why so many people are having health problem in todays society...

Filip1993 said:
Such_Saturation said:
Filip1993 said:
Such_Saturation said:

I agree, the oranges I have access to are very unripe. They give me endotoxin symptoms. I don't even now what to eat right now besides milk, eggs, liver, coffee, gelatin and white sugar. It's so hard to find good quality food that doesn't cause problems, I can definitely see why so many people are having health problem in todays society...

I tried melons but they gave me the acid reflux from outer space. Very strange sensation.

jyb

Such_Saturation said:

I think I'm really bad at detecting sugar content. For me every orange that I have pressed freshly tasted good. Acid, not acid, all good.

OP
D

dukez07

How are you supposed to tell whether an orange is ripe or not? I've had ornages that are soft but tasty/tasteless, hard but tasty/tasteless, juicy but tasty/tasteless, hard to peel but tasty/tasteless, easy to peel but tasty/tasteless, etc, etc. There in't any common pattern.

If the ornage tastes good, then it's good to eat?

loess

It can be tricky to reliably source an orange that is truly ripe unless you are picking it off of the tree yourself or buying in season directly from a small grower/farmer. The hard truth is that like many non-climacteric fruits (fruits that don't ripen further after being picked), most of the oranges that make it to the grocery shops are picked early and never have a chance to fully mature. Color is not always a surefire way of determining whether citrus is ripe. An orange can reach full-maturity but still have some green spots on the rind. Florida-grown commercial (non-organic) oranges are sometimes dyed to "improve" their color; these are pretty easy to spot and in my experience are almost always underripe, extremely acidic and not at all sweet. All that being said some good rules of thumb are to pick citrus that feels firm and heavy for its size, smells sweet and fresh, and buy in season (mostly late fall/winter in the US, but there are good summer Valencia oranges from California beginning in late May)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals