IS THIS THE REAL CAUSE OF COVID DEATHS C. DIFF INFECTIONS?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"You can test positive for a C. diff. infection without having any symptoms. This is known as C. diff. colonization. Some people are carriers for C. diff. but do not have C. diff. A positive test result plus symptoms indicate that you have an active C. diff. infection."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
What a lovely soul! You two look perfect together. Thank you for sharing something so precious and difficult for you. We are with you. In my prayers every night.
I totally feel love from everyone on this forum, in this thread and in PM's. My husband and I had been friends since he was 18, 35 years ago and made it to our 25th wedding anniversary last September. He didn't deserve what he got. It is still hard to believe this bacteria can consume it's host so quickly with the right conditions. It is so terrible to think of babies going through the pain he went through.

Lollipop2

I totally feel love from everyone on this forum, in this thread and in PM's. My husband and I had been friends since he was 18, 35 years ago and made it to our 25th wedding anniversary last September. He didn't deserve what he got. It is still hard to believe this bacteria can consume it's host so quickly with the right conditions. It is so terrible to think of babies going through the pain he went through.
? so sad.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Samples were categorized as being from outdoor environments, private residences, shoe soles, public buildings, or acute care settings.
In a Texas subanalysis, = shoe soles had the highest positivity rate (45%). Positivity rates in outdoor samples were 27% and were similar between private residences (24%) and healthcare buildings (24%)."

onesunnydaize

I am so sorry for your loss. I can feel the love in your photo. You and your family are in my thoughts. Take care

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I am so sorry for your loss. I can feel the love in your photo. You and your family are in my thoughts. Take care
Thank you Sunny. This is a major learning curve for me. I have a deep understanding about grief that I have never known before. Going through all of this will make me a better contributor to the forum. Thank you for your heart felt message.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"The primary risk factor for C difficile colitis is previous exposure to antibiotics; the most commonly implicated agents include the cephalosporins (especially second and third generation), the fluoroquinolones, ampicillin/amoxicillin, and clindamycin. Less commonly implicated antibiotics are the macrolides (ie, erythromycin, clarithromycin, azithromycin) and other penicillins. Agents occasionally reported to cause the disease include aminoglycosides, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, metronidazole, chloramphenicol, tetracycline, imipenem, and meropenem.

Even brief exposure to any single antibiotic can cause C difficile colitis. A prolonged antibiotic course or the use of 2 or more antibiotics increases the risk of disease. Moreover, antibiotics traditionally used to treat C difficile, vancomycin and metronidazole, have also been shown to cause disease."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I have been reading sepsis stories and just read this one. I did not know diabetics are not suppose to be in jacuzzis.

"My fever broke, and the tests showed there wasn’t any brain damage. I was still in the hospital when my doctor told me I picked up some bacteria most likely from the hot tub. (Sepsis and Bacterial Infections) He told me if you’re diabetic you should never be in a hot tub. I never knew something so enjoyable almost killed me. After being released from the hospital, for weeks at home I was still on antibiotics. I finally got my strength back, and was able to return back to work. Believe me when I say that I never got into another hot tub, no matter how alluring they may be. Glory to GOD, for giving me a great health care team, who recognized the symptoms for sepsis, and antibiotics."

Athrunzala

1644652672555.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Scientists Reveal the Secret Superpower That Makes C. difficile So Deadly

April 23, 2019

A new discovery about dangerous C. difficile diarrhea has identified a new way that the bacteria - and possibly others like it - cause severe disease. C. diff is the most common hospital-acquired infection and estimated to result in 453,000 cases per year, with 29,300 associated deaths.

The new finding from the University of Virginia School of Medicine explains why certain patients are highly susceptible to C. diff infections, provides doctors with a way to predict disease severity and points to a new way to treat the often-deadly condition.

The UVA researchers found that the immune response to C. diff causes tissue damage and even death through a type of immune cell called Th17. This solves a longstanding mystery about why disease severity does not correlate with the amount of bacteria in the body but, instead, to the magnitude of the immune response. It also explains why patients with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) are more likely to suffer severe C. diff infections and more likely to die from them.

The bowel condition colitis, the researchers determined, has a lingering effect on the immune system, priming the patient for a worse C. diff infection. While scientists have known that C. diff and other bacteria produce toxins that are harmful to the body, they assumed this was a simple matter: more toxin, more sickness. But UVA's research reveals that the truth is far more complex. Oftentimes, the type of immune response generated by the body can dictate the outcome of disease independently of bacterial toxin.

"When we, as a lab, started working on this, we were actively discouraged from working on C. difficile because [some] people in the field thought that, oh, this is a toxin-mediated disease. You don't need to understand anything more than the fact that the bacteria make toxins," said UVA's William A. Petri Jr., MD, PhD. "So, it's been a wonderful opportunity for us because we went in and we sort of countered the prevailing wisdom. Yes, the toxins are important, but the toxins are important because they affect the immune system in dramatic ways."

Seeking to understand why patients with IBD are so susceptible to C. diff, researcher Mahmoud Saleh created a mouse model of colitis, one of the common forms of IBD. He was able to determine that mice that recovered from colitis actually had changes in their immune system - an adaptive immune response. Immune cells known as Th17 cells had become hypercharged, primed to cause a severe reaction to subsequent C. difficile infection. Even the same amount of the bacteria would now cause a dangerous, outsized response. "If we infect a month later, we see that these [T helper cells] alone can cause severe infection," Saleh said. "So, these cells are sufficient for that increased severity of C. difficile infection."

The researchers then looked at human samples to determine if their finding would hold true. It did, and they were able to use substances in the blood, including a protein known as interleukin 6 (IL-6), to predict disease severity. Patients with high amounts of IL-6 were almost eight times more likely to die from C. difficile than those with low levels."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Lactose intolerance is a common side effect of C. diff infection. Avoiding milk and dairy products — with the possible exception of yogurt containing live, active cultures — may help eliminate added gastrointestinal distress.

You may become gluten intolerant for a period of time after infection. If so, it’s important to avoid foods containing gluten, such as wheat, rye, and barley."

P

Peatness

Conclusions:
Low serum 25(OH)D < 15 ng/mL was associated with increased risk of CA-CDI. This suggests vitamin D may have a role in determining susceptibility to CA-CDI.

@Rinse & rePeat —I just read through every post in this thread and did not expect the final posts to be like this. I am truly sorry for your loss. Sending prayers and love your way. Thank you for contributing so much to this forum. I have learned so much from your posts and am truly grateful to you for sharing your knowledge and experience, especially during such a challenging time.

My father just got discharged from the hospital today— with a positive c. Diff pcr test yesterday—negative toxin a and b.

We went in for suspected sepsis Last Sunday after his chemotherapy cycle. They put him on cephalosporins daptomycin and some others :-( while waiting for blood cultures. He was already on Bactrim as part of his chemotherapy. They gave him protonix as well. But as soon as I saw the positive c diff. I did a quick search and stopped protonix.

They discharged us without any new antibiotics and told us to continue bactrim (bc chemo).

I just gave him 1 teaspoon black seed oil and he went to sleep. I will be getting manuka asap. His breathing has become a little labored since last night.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@Rinse & rePeat —I just read through every post in this thread and did not expect the final posts to be like this. I am truly sorry for your loss. Sending prayers and love your way. Thank you for contributing so much to this forum. I have learned so much from your posts and am truly grateful to you for sharing your knowledge and experience, especially during such a challenging time.

My father just got discharged from the hospital today— with a positive c. Diff pcr test yesterday—negative toxin a and b.

We went in for suspected sepsis Last Sunday after his chemotherapy cycle. They put him on cephalosporins daptomycin and some others :-( while waiting for blood cultures. He was already on Bactrim as part of his chemotherapy. They gave him protonix as well. But as soon as I saw the positive c diff. I did a quick search and stopped protonix.

They discharged us without any new antibiotics and told us to continue bactrim (bc chemo).

I just gave him 1 teaspoon black seed oil and he went to sleep. I will be getting manuka asap. His breathing has become a little labored since last night.

That is so strange that you posted this just now cause I just came onto this post to post something about sepsis I just read from Ray Peat. Hearing from you and hearing your worry I am so encouraged to keep posting anything and everything I know and learn for times like these, just hoping it will make a difference. Please reach out if you need to pick my brain. I feel a little queasy worrying about your father. You really gotta keep an eye on his speach. With sepsis speach gets slurred and they don't make sense and they hallucinate. Please keep let me how he is tomorrow.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"When stress is very intense, as in trauma or sepsis, the reaction of liberating fatty acids can become dangerously counter-productive, producing the state of shock. In shock, the liberation of free fatty acids interferes with the use of glucose for energy and causes cells to take up water and calcium (depleting blood volume and reducing circulation) and to leak ATP, enzymes, and other cell contents (Boudreault and Grygorczyk, 2008; Wolfe, et al., 1983; Selzner, et al, 2004; van der Wijk, 2003), in something like a systemic inflammatory state (Fabiano, et al., 2008) often leading to death." -Ray Peat

That’s very sweet of you but please don’t worry— you've been through a lot a deserve ease and comfort.

His speech and mental state are altered bc he is being treated for cns lymphoma, so it’s hard to tell...
Is aspirin ok? because you posted about nsaids being detrimental.

For several months he has had high lactic acid, high respiratory rate ~30s, low co2, low bicarbonate- So he has been having symptoms of sepsis but he is always negative for infection.

This time his bp went to 70/30. And he’s hardly eating Bc of low appetite and his blood sugars are 90-150 without any meds. He’s diabetic and usually much much higher. Right now bc he just finished chemo, he’s also anemic.

He takes 10,000iu vitamin d3, b-complex, thiamine, magnesium, vitamin k2, biotin, Some pyrucet, some curcumin.

I read ethyl pyruvate and progesterone May help with sepsis

OP
Rinse & rePeat
That’s very sweet of you but please don’t worry— you've been through a lot a deserve ease and comfort.

His speech and mental state are altered bc he is being treated for cns lymphoma, so it’s hard to tell...
Is aspirin ok? because you posted about nsaids being detrimental.

For several months he has had high lactic acid, high respiratory rate ~30s, low co2, low bicarbonate- So he has been having symptoms of sepsis but he is always negative for infection.

This time his bp went to 70/30. And he’s hardly eating Bc of low appetite and his blood sugars are 90-150 without any meds. He’s diabetic and usually much much higher. Right now bc he just finished chemo, he’s also anemic.

He takes 10,000iu vitamin d3, b-complex, thiamine, magnesium, vitamin k2, biotin, Some pyrucet, some curcumin.

I read ethyl pyruvate and progesterone May help with sepsis
I would not recommend the aspirin with C.diff, not just because C. diff ramps up with NSAIDs and pain killers, but it can cause ulcers, and thin blood can seep into the blood stream easier. My husband got anemic too. You really have a challenge with his diabetes on top of everything.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals