IS THIS THE REAL CAUSE OF COVID DEATHS C. DIFF INFECTIONS?

I have been reading about Clostridium Difficile because my husband has been diagnosed with it today. It is a "super bug" bacterial infection with a high mortality rate. The doctor said he got it from his last hospital visit for a spinal compression fracture. This is some scary stuff, but it is also suggested that it is under reported in Covid patients deaths. This is such a shocker to me in more ways than one!

"The dearth of studies regarding secondary infections, such as Clostridioides difficile, in COVID-19 patients makes it difficult to measure the effect of the pandemic on antimicrobial stewardship programs and on long term antimicrobial resistance. While increased awareness regarding personal hygiene and extensive use of protective equipment may lead to reductions of healthcare associated infections, the challenge of strictly isolating and managing COVID-19 patients in many healthcare systems, often in proximity to patients colonized with C. difficile, and the inevitable higher workload imposed on healthcare staff could lead to additional hospital transmissions. The increased use of antibiotics to treat COVID-19 may, inadvertently, have resulted in an under-reporting of C. difficile infection. Actually, Spigaglia (2020) has published an article expressing her opinion about the COVID-19 and the impact in elderly patients, who will probably become more susceptible to CDI. The author also demonstrates her concern about the low number of bacterial infections cases related to patients with Sars-Cov-2. To ensure appropriate treatment and to improve patient outcome, increased vigilance and improved diagnosis are both necessary. Given that future emerging viral diseases are highly likely, we would urge increased awareness of the issue and call for informed debate around how to implement effective measures to meet these challenges.

In conclusion, it seems highly likely that cases of CDI are being under-reported among COVID-19 patients and the increased use of antibiotics may, in part, be responsible."

"The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the way we practice medicine and lead our lives. In addition to pulmonary symptoms; COVID-19 as a syndrome has multisystemic involvement including frequent gastrointestinal symptoms such as diarrhea. Due to microbiome alterations with COVID-19 and frequent antibiotic exposure, COVID-19 can be complicated by Clostridioides difficile infection. Co-infection with these two can be associated with a high risk of complications."

"Clostridium difficile infection (CDI) has emerged as a major health care–associated infection; incidence, hospitalizations, and mortality rates are increasing (1,2). Reported case-fatality rates are 6%–30% and seem to be rising."

Last edited:

Vileplume

Rinse, I’m sorry to hear about your husband. It sounds like he (and you) have been through a lot. He’s at home now?

Dang, C Diff is a bacterial infection that causes inflammation of the colon. That sounds absolutely horrible. It really is true that all disease starts in the gut, which makes antibiotics seem like a risky move, whenever you use them. It’s possible to totally rearrange your gut bacterial composition. I’ve even heard people mention that you can totally eradicate certain species of gut bacteria with antibiotics, and that some never come back. That’s a scary thought.

And once you have a messed up gut, like sibo or c diff, in my experience it’s really difficult to get your gut back on track. But at least one can know that if they treat their gut, theyre treating the problem. I don’t know of a more universal path to health than focusing on the gut. When I eat something that my gut really doesn’t like, I get a fever in proportion to how much my gut didn’t like whatever I ate. As someone with poor gut health and constant bloating, I feel lucky that I haven’t had any major acute illness episodes recently, such as some on this forum have reported.

It sounds like bacterial infections, such as C Diff, are crawling all over hospital equipment? That’s terrifying. I hope your husband is doing okay.

Xin

FMT ( fecal microbiota transplant) is awesome against C.Diff. I know two people who flew to Argentina after they failed to get rid of it with antibiotics. It's also available in the US.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
You are such a sweetheart Vilepume for being concerned. He is still in the hospital, and has been there since Friday. I got him in right away, but there was even more complications for leaving him for 14 hours in the waiting room with the bloody diarrhea. He lost so much blood waiting that his kidneys started shutting down and they ended up giving him 3 blood transfusions. I just hope he didn't vaxxed blood. I am in disbelief! They started him on antibiotics tonight and now I don't know what the future holds for his health. I remember that RP said there is no good or bacteria per se and that a sterile gut is best so I am shooting for that positive idea. Fortunately I have been giving him around the clock doses of 20+ manuka honey and regular doses of turmeric and ginger, which according to my attachments, they might have spared him some damage or even his life, we shall see. He has been diagnosed with Smouldering Myeloma a couple of months ago, which leaves him immune challenged, so I am really worried for him. I got a jar manuka honey to his room tonight, so that will help me sleep a little better tonight. I am glad you haven't had anything serious too. You are too young to need to deal with serious detriments like these.

Attachments

• 20211213_184144.jpg
    20211213_184144.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 20211213_192340.jpg
    20211213_192340.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 20211213_192502.jpg
    20211213_192502.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 34
OP
Rinse & rePeat
FMT ( fecal microbiota transplant) is awesome against C.Diff. I know two people who flew to Argentina after they failed to get rid of it with antibiotics. It's also available in the US.

I read that too last year and it sounded so outlandish, but not anymore! Some procedures go through the nose with the "specimen"...

"Stool is obtained from a donor or from a stool bank, where it has been screened for pathogens and processed for medical use. Donor stool may be administered via a plastic tube inserted through the nose into the stomach or small intestine."

aliml

I have been reading about Clostridium Difficile because my husband has been diagnosed with it today. It is a "super bug" bacterial infection with a high mortality rate.
Hoping for your husband speedy recovery.
Fortunately, I came across a research article on Nigella sativa (black cumin seed) oil and its ability to inhibit the growth of Closstridium difficile (the bacteria that causes colitis!) and other pathogenic microbes and viruses. This gave me the confidence to give this oil a try.

My simple Black Cumin oil protocol:

I started with 2 teaspoons of Nigella sativa oil (100% pure) at breakfast, lunch, dinner, and before bed. To my amazement, within just two days (!!!), my stool is no longer as bloody and the rectal bleeding is nearly gone!

So to the folks reading this... if all of the conventional treatments are not helping and you don't see much improvements, TRY Black Cumin seed oil!

IS THIS OIL SAFE???

This oil has been used in food in the Mediterranean, Middle East, India, and South Asia for centuries, and it is VERY safe!!!

You can still continue your conventional treatments, but you should start incorporating this Cumin seed oil into your diet. It's an oil that you can add to your salad, bread, or any other food. Add 2 teaspoons to your breakfast, lunch, dinner, and take 2 more teaspoons before bed.

I need to repeat this again: I was having heavy rectal bleeding and bloody stool EVERY DAY for 2 weeks straight, and as soon as I started taking Cumin seed oil, the bleeding is nearly gone!!! In just 2 days!!!

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
My husband took amoxicillin for a tooth problem and became symptomatic for C diff in four days. He was positive for GDH or the common antigen but not the toxin and the doctor was no help. So he did like you looking up on the internet and has been using manuka honey once a day, powdered ginger at breakfast and turmeric at lunch. We also avoid high fiber. He seems okay now.
It sounds like your husband is in much worse shape right now. Even if the antibiotics, vancomycin, help him it can come back. My nephew’s wife finally received a fecal transplant after several antibiotic failures and it worked for her.
I hope he can get back to normal soon. How awful for him to need 3 units of blood. He has had a rough time.

Rafe

My sympathy is with you two going through this. It sounds like his health is fragile at the moment.

It looks like standard of care with fecal transplant is only done if a course of vancomycin has failed.

It’s done with a colonoscopy with screened, approved samples from a fecal transplant bank. Since he’s in the hospital it would probably be done like that. I’d ask his doctor early, before the vancomycin. Just to see if he’s open to doing it.

I searched “c. difficile fecal transplant California” & several practices come up.

Here’s one, for ex:

I have no knowledge of these myself.

Ben.

Im so sorry he is in that position. Makes me even more reluctant to go to a hospital unless i realy need to.
I can't realy contribute much to the theory or question in the title....

But he is insanely lucky to have such a invested and loving partner.
Good luck you two and speedy recovery for him.

Rafe

I think instances of opportunistic bacterial infection may be the next “epidemic” health crisis, what with hand sanitizer placed every 100 feet in public now & people trying frantically to “get rid of germs.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
My sympathy is with you two going through this. It sounds like his health is fragile at the moment.

It looks like standard of care with fecal transplant is only done if a course of vancomycin has failed.

It’s done with a colonoscopy with screened, approved samples from a fecal transplant bank. Since he’s in the hospital it would probably be done like that. I’d ask his doctor early, before the vancomycin. Just to see if he’s open to doing it.

I searched “c. difficile fecal transplant California” & several practices come up.

Here’s one, for ex:

I have no knowledge of these myself.

How nice of you to take the time to find that for me. I hope it doesn't come in handy, hut thank you again!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I think instances of opportunistic bacterial infection may be the next “epidemic” health crisis, what with hand sanitizer placed every 100 feet in public now & people trying frantically to “get rid of germs.”
That sounds about right.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Im so sorry he is in that position. Makes me even more reluctant to go to a hospital unless i realy need to.
I can't realy contribute much to the theory or question in the title....

But he is insanely lucky to have such a invested and loving partner.
Good luck you two and speedy recovery for him.

Thank you Ben. Your words teared me up.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
My husband took amoxicillin for a tooth problem and became symptomatic for C diff in four days. He was positive for GDH or the common antigen but not the toxin and the doctor was no help. So he did like you looking up on the internet and has been using manuka honey once a day, powdered ginger at breakfast and turmeric at lunch. We also avoid high fiber. He seems okay now.
It sounds like your husband is in much worse shape right now. Even if the antibiotics, vancomycin, help him it can come back. My nephew’s wife finally received a fecal transplant after several antibiotic failures and it worked for her.
I hope he can get back to normal soon. How awful for him to need 3 units of blood. He has had a rough time.
It is good to hear your husband pulled through doing the same things. I am going to read this to him. Thank you for reaching out with this encouragement Dolomite.

StephanF

Forum Supporter
How timely! My wife just underwent a root canal re-treatment, the 25-year old root canal failed. On the digital x-ray (man, these have such high resolution) one could see that it wasn’t done right. We treated it with chlorine dioxide but that didn’t go deep into the root but at least kept it at bay up to her appointment. She didn’t want to take the antibiotics, sine it is so disruptive to the gut biome, it’s the same medication, amoxicillin, and we are going to continue with chlorine dioxide. She is petite, so she took only two activated MMS drops yesterday and she puts a rolled-up cotton swap soaked in chlorine dioxide solution, diluted from 3,000 ppm to about 1,000 ppm, placed on top of the area where the puss bubble formed. The dentist filled the cavity with calcium hydroxide, which has a very high pH and will migrate into the tiny micron-size channels in the dentin. In a month, she will have another appointment and the dentist will seal it up with gutta percha.

OP
Rinse & rePeat

I found info indicating antacids make people more susceptible to this deadly bacteria. Apparently stomach acids usually eradicate this bacteria, sonsuppressing acids is not good. This explains why so many elderly or immobile people or people on medications with digestive issues are at risk for this infection, and possibly many others.

"The popular class of antacids that includes Aciphex, Dexilant, Nexium, Prevacid, Prilosec, and Protonix increases the risk of C. diff infection and bone fracture, new studies find. The drugs all are proton pump inhibitors (PPIs), the most powerful class of antacid drugs."

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I found info indicating antacids make people more susceptible to this deadly bacteria. Apparently stomach acids usually eradicate this bacteria, sonsuppressing acids is not good. This explains why so many elderly or immobile people or people on medications with digestive issues are at risk for infection.

"The popular class of antacids that includes Aciphex, Dexilant, Nexium, Prevacid, Prilosec, and Protonix increases the risk of C. diff infection and bone fracture, new studies find. The drugs all are proton pump inhibitors (PPIs), the most powerful class of antacid drugs."

I didn't know this about the PPIs. My husband has never taken them, though. I have but it has been more than 15 years ago. Thank you for finding this.

Amoxicillin is usually not seen as bad as some other antibiotics. But after his experience I don't plan on taking them unless necessary.

Like Rafe suggested, you might ask about a fecal transplant now rather than waiting.

Steve

Ugh...now I'm freaked out since I just took broad-spectrum Amoxicillin for an ear infection which was diganosed incorrectly and most likely made the infection worse since it was fungal, not bacterial. I just found this article below, and wanted to post it so that you are careful not to get infected yourself.

The infection is contagious​

If someone is diagnosed with C. diff or you suspect you or a loved one may have one, isolation is important to keep the infection from spreading. In the hospital, the infected patient will be isolated from other patients, and staff will have to observe isolation precautions, using gloves and gowns.

The bacteria are spread through spores that the bacteria release. These spores can live for a long time, several months, on surfaces. An infected person may touch a doorknob and spores may cling to it. When another person touches the doorknob, they may pick up the spores on their hand. If they bring their hand to their face, or if they use that hand to hold food, the spores are then transferred and that second person may be infected.

At home, if you or your loved one has C. diff , thorough and frequent hand washing is essential. If possible the person with the infection should use a dedicated bathroom. If you must share a bathroom, it should be thoroughly cleaned before anyone else uses it, concentrating on common surfaces, such as taps, counters, doorknobs, and so on. Ensure the person with the infection also has their own towels and linens. These should be washed separately in the hottest water possible.

It’s important to keep in mind too that hand sanitizers are not effective against C. diff. Soap and water are the only defence. So, when handling anything that the patient has touched or giving direct care, the staff must wear gloves.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
@Steve My husband only took 4 1/2 days of a 10 day regimen before he noticed symptoms. He quit taking it but the disease still progressed. It took about 2 weeks of low residue diet, the manuka honey, ginger and turmeric to get rid of the blood in the stool.

Bleach is also good for killing the spores.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals