Is insomnia from Pregnenolone common?

Electrisio

I saw a couple of Reddit users' anecdotal experience of 5mg a day of Pregnenolone for a few weeks before running into sleepless nights. I absolutely hate insomnia so really would like to avoid this. Is insomnia a likely side effect of Pregnenolone (or DHEA for that matter)? Can anything be done to mitigate it?

Hans

Forum Supporter
I saw a couple of Reddit users' anecdotal experience of 5mg a day of Pregnenolone for a few weeks before running into sleepless nights. I absolutely hate insomnia so really would like to avoid this. Is insomnia a likely side effect of Pregnenolone (or DHEA for that matter)? Can anything be done to mitigate it?
Pregnenolone converts to pregnenolone-sulfate which is both a GABA antagonist and an NMDA agonist, both of which will promote excitation. Pregnenolone also converts to progesterone and progesterone to allopregnanolone which has GABAergic effects. So it's most likely an imbalance between GABA agonism and antagonism that some people are very sensitive to.
To combat it, you can try taking progesterone with it and an NMDA antagonist, such as magnesium and/or zinc.

Phosphor

I just posted in another thread that I cannot take pregnenolone in any dosage because I simply do not sleep. Your body does with it what it wants, and that is what my body does with it. Clearly not the right thing for me.

OP
E

Electrisio

I just posted in another thread that I cannot take pregnenolone in any dosage because I simply do not sleep. Your body does with it what it wants, and that is what my body does with it. Clearly not the right thing for me.
I am the exact same as you unfortunately, get some benefits but literally no sleep. Gonna have to chuck it out.

Clyde

I think im running into this now
The effects can be different at high and low dosages. It's been used in studies recently at 400mg. Maybe play around with the dose a little or it's just not for you.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals