Index of refraction PUFA

Drareg

I found this video very interesting, something we don't speak about much is the refraction of PUFA and how this influence cells communication, I know Peat spoke about cells potentially using light to communicate, its also interesting to think about infrared light and how PUFA influences it.
It seems to only work with pyrex glass, borosillicate.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Tj2KMZhfoc

Another shining a green laser through olive oil changes the beam to a red colour, I can't find anything with saturated fat, would be interesting to test with different hormones in PUFA and SFA.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCo60SRujtQ

Lejeboca

Got me curious :cool: Interesting, indeed.
It works b/c the refractive indices n of pyrex (borosilicate glass) and vegetable oil are the same (1.47) per wiki.

its also interesting to think about infrared light and how PUFA influences it.
For the same starting (vacuum or air) wavelength under the same temperature (that keeps a PUFA and a SFA liquid), I reckon that PUFA shifts the wavelength more towards blue since n_PUFA is larger n_SFA (per 2 papers cited below) and wavelengths are inversely proportional to n.

The Relationship between the Refractive Index of Fish Oils and their Content of Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA), Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) and Total Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids (PUFA)

Abstract: Highly significant correlations were found to exist between the refractive index of fish oils and their content of eicosapentaenoic acid, the sum of eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acid and the total polyunsaturated fatty acids. The refractive index of a fish oil can be used therefore as an indicator of the content of the abovementioned fatty acids.

1658804398303.png

Refractive Indices and Densities of Normal Saturated Fatty Acids in the Liquid State

From Summary: The refractive indices of the normal saturated fatty acids from caproic to stearic inclusive have been determined a t a number of temperatures between 20 and 80". For each acid the refractive indices are straight line functions of the temperature with an abrupt change of a slope at 40'.

1658804865805.png

OP
Drareg

Drareg

Got me curious :cool: Interesting, indeed.

It works b/c the refractive indices n of pyrex (borosilicate glass) and vegetable oil are the same (1.47) per wiki.

For the same starting (vacuum or air) wavelength under the same temperature (that keeps a PUFA and a SFA liquid), I reckon that PUFA shifts the wavelength more towards blue since n_PUFA is larger n_SFA (per 2 papers cited below) and wavelengths are inversely proportional to n.

The Relationship between the Refractive Index of Fish Oils and their Content of Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA), Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) and Total Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids (PUFA)

Abstract: Highly significant correlations were found to exist between the refractive index of fish oils and their content of eicosapentaenoic acid, the sum of eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acid and the total polyunsaturated fatty acids. The refractive index of a fish oil can be used therefore as an indicator of the content of the abovementioned fatty acids.

Refractive Indices and Densities of Normal Saturated Fatty Acids in the Liquid State

From Summary: The refractive indices of the normal saturated fatty acids from caproic to stearic inclusive have been determined a t a number of temperatures between 20 and 80". For each acid the refractive indices are straight line functions of the temperature with an abrupt change of a slope at 40'.

This is very interesting......
Mae Wan Ho speaks about life being liquid crystals and the rainbow colour effect, the refraction of light must be relevant in cells with all this in mind, the structural composition must effect this.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I found this video very interesting, something we don't speak about much is the refraction of PUFA and how this influence cells communication, I know Peat spoke about cells potentially using light to communicate, its also interesting to think about infrared light and how PUFA influences it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Tj2KMZhfoc

Another shining a green laser through olive oil changes the beam to a red colour, I can't find anything with saturated fat, would be interesting to test with different hormones in PUFA and SFA.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCo60SRujtQ

That's very interesting! I will get a few colored lasers and try out a few different fats. If PUFA shifts the wavelength towards blue, it might be a bad thing as it would mean less red light gets into the mitochondria, and red light is crucial for activating Complex IV of the electron transport chain, while blue light inhibits it. It may explain a good deal of PUFA's antimetabolic effects even when one is exposed to a lot of sunlight - i.e. PUFA are capable of blocking the pro-metabolic effects of sunlight, in addition to their anti-metabolic hormonal effects, inflammation, etc.
It also potentially touches on Gerald Pollack's (and Ling's AI) theory of EZ water and the crucial effect red light plays in structuring the water inside the cell. If the outer portions of the cell (where the lipids mostly are) is mostly PUFA and that drastically reduces the amount of red light reaching the cytosol and mitochondria, then the water inside the cell will be "bulk" water instead of the EZ water, which effectively puts the cell into the "cancer" state even if it is still capable of normal OXPHOS.
@Lejeboca

Lollipop2

That's very interesting! I will get a few colored lasers and try out a few different fats. If PUFA shifts the wavelength towards blue, it might be a bad thing as it would mean less red light gets into the mitochondria, and red light is crucial for activating Complex IV of the electron transport chain, while blue light inhibits it. It may explain a good deal of PUFA's antimetabolic effects even when one is exposed to a lot of sunlight - i.e. PUFA are capable of blocking the pro-metabolic effects of sunlight, in addition to their anti-metabolic hormonal effects, inflammation, etc.
It also potentially touches on Gerald Pollack's (and Ling's AI) theory of EZ water and the crucial effect red light plays in structuring the water inside the cell. If the outer portions of the cell (where the lipids mostly are) is mostly PUFA and that drastically reduces the amount of red light reaching the cytosol and mitochondria, then the water inside the cell will be "bulk" water instead of the EZ water, which effectively puts the cell into the "cancer" state even if it is still capable of normal OXPHOS.
@Lejeboca
Absolutely fascinating. Thank you Haidut @Drareg @Lejeboca. Totally following this thread.

supercoolguy

Some UV Light testing between "Grape Seed Oil" and MCT. The GSO reacts to the solvent. Instantly rancid.

Lejeboca

If PUFA shifts the wavelength towards blue, it might be a bad thing as it would mean less red light gets into the mitochondria, and red light is crucial for activating Complex IV of the electron transport chain, while blue light inhibits
This was my line of thought too (along the line of 4th phase water and pro-metabolic effects of red light). Add to the equation that red/infrared penetrates deeper than blue/UV into the body. Then, if/when red light meets PUFA on its way, it will be shifted to "anti-metabolic" blue light. This is assuming PUFAs (liquid long-chain FFAs) in 'membranes' or elsewhere are surrounded by blood or aqueous media, both of which have smaller refractory indices (about ~1.36 for blood, see, e.g.,The refractive index of human blood measured at the visible spectral region by single-fiber reflectance spectroscopy).

Re: cell 'membranes'.
Indeed, when composed of "oxidized cholesterol", its n was measured quite high, ~1.47 for 633nm wavelength at 40 degrees.
Optical Properties of Oxidized Cholesterol Bilayer Lipid Membranes

Staying on the cholesterol theme, another aspect where PUFAs will have detrimental "light" affect is when they estrify cholesterol to form plaques. As RP wrote in one of his newsletters that not cholesterol itself but cholesterol esters are culprit of disease, which this paper corroborates: Cholesteryl esters in malignancy
From Abstract: Cholesteryl esters, formed by the esterification of cholesterol with long-chain fatty acids, on one hand, are the means by which cholesterol is transported through the blood by lipoproteins, on the other, the way cholesterol itself can be accumulated in the cells. ...
Numerous studies carried out on tumor cell lines, experimental tumors, and human tumors have shown an abnormal cholesterol metabolism that is reflected by an increase in intracellular cholesteryl esters due to an alteration in all the mechanisms that form the basis of regulation,

If, according to Richard Feynman, the theory of light can explain all phenomena but the gravitation and nuclear reactions, then this property of PUFA, i.e., its high refractory index, might explain all its other "vices".

akgrrrl

As a longtime student and collector of American PYREX, it is my understanding it is only vintage PYREX that is a true borosilicate, that Pyrex (lower case, and modern manufacture after the company was sold) is merely tempered glass, at least in regards to home use PYREX and not laboratory grade.

OP
Drareg

Drareg

@Lejeboca
It's interesting that the green laser turns red in MUFA, is it what colour absorbed is what counts? If the laser was red would the colour in MUFA stay red, the green needs to be absorbed which may be a negative, its almost like detoxing, no detoxing/defraction with the red laser which implies the beam is more coherent, energy is required to remove the green essentially.

OP
Drareg

Drareg

Some UV Light testing between "Grape Seed Oil" and MCT. The GSO reacts to the solvent. Instantly rancid.

The grapeseed oil absorbs the UV light, it implies then what @haidut is saying and Peat about sunburn being caused much easier by PUFA in the skin.
Niacinamide orally and on the skin is very helpful I find when sunbathing, it's a metabolic trigger that involves PUFA when the sun is being absorbed by the skin, niacinamide inhibits PUFA's involvement in the process limiting the UV lights effect.

RealNeat

@Lejeboca
Uh oh... dont let Jack Kruse read this. He will exile you from the mitochondriac club.

OP
Drareg

Drareg

Whats also interesting is some peoples belief and practice of using olive oil on the skin in sunny climates like the med, if it changes via filtering different coloured light to red then this may be protective, potentially an infrared mask of sorts.

RealNeat

Whats also interesting is some peoples belief and practice of using olive oil on the skin in sunny climates like the med, if it changes via filtering different coloured light to red then this may be protective, potentially an infrared mask of sorts.
I wonder if the ripeness of the olive would change the refraction, unripe makes green oil, ripe makes golden oil.

Speaking of green this is pretty cool, but Ray may think its not that great,

Another interesting one:

lvysaur

OP
Drareg

Drareg

I wonder if the ripeness of the olive would change the refraction, unripe makes green oil, ripe makes golden oil.

Speaking of green this is pretty cool, but Ray may think its not that great,

Another interesting one:
Very interesting, spirulina supplements come with a warning of increase sensitivity to sunlight I think, methylene blue has this effect also, methylene blue should also have interesting refraction effects, MB seems to be help kill viruses and bacteria, it would be interesting to explore if this is because of a blue light effect, a bit like how UV light works.

OP
Drareg

Drareg

I found this study today about methylene blue and its potential to be used as a sunscreen, I was under the impression it made you more sensitive to sun burn?

Ultraviolet radiation protection potentials of Methylene Blue for human skin and coral reef health​

Methylene blue (MB) is a century-old medicine, a laboratory dye, and recently shown as a premier antioxidant that combats ROS-induced cellular aging in human skins. Given MB's molecular structure and light absorption properties, we hypothesize that MB has the potential to be considered as a sunscreen active for UV radiation protection. In this study, we tested the effects of MB on UVB ray-induced DNA double-strand breaks in primary human keratinocytes. We found that MB treatment reduced DNA damages caused by UVB irradiation and subsequent cell death. Next, we compared MB with Oxybenzone, which is the most commonly used chemical active ingredient in sunscreens but recently proven to be hazardous to aquatic ecosystems, in particular to coral reefs. At the same concentrations, MB showed more effective UVB absorption ability than Oxybenzone and significantly outperformed Oxybenzone in the prevention of UVB-induced DNA damage and the clearance of UVA-induced cellular ROS. Furthermore, unlike Oxybenzone, MB-containing seawater did not affect the growth of the coral species Xenia umbellata. Altogether, our study suggests that MB has the potential to be a coral reef-friendly sunscreen active ingredient that can provide broad-spectrum protection against UVA and UVB.

OP
Drareg

Drareg

Methylene blue can effect pulse oximetry, MB spectral absorption is similar to red light, outside of pulse oximetry this is very interesting to think about with cellular communication in mind, does enhance light communication in the body for example?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAoetnAdlBw

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals