Hydrogenated Coconut Oil In A Plastic Container?

Logan-

Is it o.k. to buy hydrogenated coconut oil that is sold in a plastic container? I can't find it in a glass container.

tallglass13

it may be in thick bpa free plasic bucket. that should be fine, but as soon as you get it , you can remove it and put it in a glass containers. Where did you find this hydrogenated coconut oil?

tallglass13

huh interesting. I've been buying the Nutiva 1 gallon refined. but I have been checking Amazon, and never have seen hydrogenated. there are plenty that say Non-hydrogenated. If you have the exact name, that would help. thanks.

Literally

The advice I've seen for hormonal problems with plastics is that there are 3 factors that make it more likely: if the container contents are liquid, acidic, and/or fatty. I would guess that if you are storing at a temp where it's solid, the risk factor is *relatively* low given that you only have 1 of the risk factors, and solids tend to be more stable. Whereas something that was liquid, fatty and acidic would be very bad. For example I would think canned chili has all those components.

Zpol

The kind that Doc RP gets is in a plastic bag which is worse than a plastic bottle IMO. The one you were originally questioning, from H&B Oils, is organic so although it's in a plastic bottle it's still better than non-organic in a plastic bag I would think. Also, they state in the Amazon Q & A section, that their oil is fully hydrogenated and is 100% saturated. Additionally, on their website they state their product is 100% pure, no additives and no hexane is used in the processing. There is also a hydrogenated coconut oil available from Bulk Apothecary that is contained in a bucket or drum, also not organic though and uses solvents in processing. Personally, I decided to go with the one from H & B Oils.

OP
L

Logan-

The advice I've seen for hormonal problems with plastics is that there are 3 factors that make it more likely: if the container contents are liquid, acidic, and/or fatty. I would guess that if you are storing at a temp where it's solid, the risk factor is *relatively* low given that you only have 1 of the risk factors, and solids tend to be more stable. Whereas something that was liquid, fatty and acidic would be very bad. For example I would think canned chili has all those components.

Yeah, I guess the saturated structure could make the hydrogenated coconut oil less likely to interact with the plastic around it.

The kind that Doc RP gets is in a plastic bag which is worse than a plastic bottle IMO.

I found this interesting. I guess if Ray Peat thinks it's o.k., then it's o.k.

OP
L

Logan-

Hydrogenated brands

Bulk Apothecary hydrogenated
  • Order direct.
  • Around $0.22 per ounce ($0.10 per ounce or lower in the bulk quantities).
  • Based on the name of the oil, I suspect it's meant to be fully hydrogenated. However, I'm waiting to hear back from them with confirmation.
  • Coconuts from Malaysia, Philippines, or Indonesia.
  • They are unable to provide hydrogenation or other details because they change suppliers frequently.
Copha / Vegetaline / Palmin / Kremelta
  • This maybe be available in stores in Europe and Australia under one of the above names (thanks to Emma for posting about this). I haven't found anything that provides a store finder, but in the UK this site will ship to you.
  • It looks like it's fully hydrogenated, and they're reportedly phasing out the additional ingredient of soy lecithin.
H&B Oils hydrogenated
Pure Essential Supply hydrogenated (formerly NaturesBouquet.com)
  • Order direct.
  • Around $0.20 per ounce (or about $0.16 per ounce in the bulk quantity).
  • Based on the name of the oil, I suspect it's meant to be fully hydrogenated. However, I'm waiting to hear back from them with confirmation.
  • Solvent-extracted (presumably hexane).
  • I haven't heard back from them yet on additional details about the oil.
TKB Trading hydrogenated
  • Order direct.
  • Around $0.18 per ounce (and a similar price in bulk quantities but with free shipping).
  • There's a complaint about the company / product here, although I've also seen positive reviews like this one.
  • They provided me with a data sheet describing its characteristics and processing.
  • Imported from Malaysia, Indonesia, or the Philippines.
  • Solvent-extracted (presumably hexane), though I suspect there isn't any residual hexane from the description of the lack of organic solvents on page two of the data sheet. I suspect it's hydrogenated using nickel, but I haven't yet heard back from them on that.
  • For Ray Peat fans, this is reportedly what he buys for himself.
Welch, Holme & Clark (WHC) hydrogenated
  • Order direct.
  • Documentation on a recent batch showed an iodine value of 0.9, and it's specified with 3 as a maximum.
  • I haven't yet heard back from them on my request for more information.
Source: Coconut oil sources and quality issues - Toxinless

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals