When Did This Forum Start Complaining About The PUFA In Coconut Oil ?

T

tca300

@Westside PUFAs Your very right! Butter and regular Coconut oil consumption would definitely make PUFA accumulate with age. Which is why Ray speaks about it accumulating. He talks about eating a diet that is sustainable for individuals, and frankly most seem to be fat obsessed which makes PUFA accumulation unavoidable, and he knows most, including himself, prefer a little butter, lamb, eggs etc...

x-ray peat

Its my understanding that cell membranes, particularly in neurons, need PUFAs to function properly. The brain has a ton of PUFAs in it. If you don't eat enough PUFA the body will make Mead Acid which is a PUFA. So I don't think full PUFA elimination is biologically possible. PUFA minimization seems to be more correct.
Phospholipids that contain polyunsaturated fatty acids enhance neuronal cell mechanics and touch sensation
Polyunsaturated fatty acid synthesis and release by brain-derived cells in vitro. - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:
T

tca300

@x-ray peat The bain of newborns are "deficient" in pufa because the placenta blocks it from getting to the baby. The brain is " high in pufa " comes from the aged individual who has eaten enough pufa to replace the saturated and monounsaturated that were there at birth... aka a parkinson's brain. Mead acid is as close as the body comes to making a PUFA, and thats an omega-9. Thats one if the reasons why they are called "essential " because we cannot make them.

encerent

This forum has been taken over byyoung males who are already healthy but want to optimize the **** out of the pro-metabolic lifestyle and diet. Like biohacking ,yo! coconut oil does'nt biohack you as much as fully hydrogenated coconut oil or fractionated coconut oil or MCT oil.

T

tca300

@encerent Currently healthy.. not always. The subject of this perticular thread is being discussed, and on topic. I get asked for help a lot, so I come to this forum regularly. As I understand it, it is here to help others, and those who have healed themselves, I think are valuable to this forum.

@Mito I dont keep it .5 grams or less all the time. When I eat mushrooms or liver it raises it up to about .7grams or so. If im not gaining weight, its not a problem to go a little higher than .5 per day. But this is most days. I eat this way because It makes me feel and function my best, as well as I very much enjoy the taste and the almost zero prep time.
View attachment 4501

Have you ever tested for Mead's acid?

This forum has been taken over byyoung males who are already healthy but want to optimize the **** out of the pro-metabolic lifestyle and diet. Like biohacking ,yo! coconut oil does'nt biohack you as much as fully hydrogenated coconut oil or fractionated coconut oil or MCT oil.

Well if you were very old you'd probably want to do exactly the same thing. I guess baby boomers come here to complain then :ss

x-ray peat

@x-ray peat The bain of newborns are "deficient" in pufa because the placenta blocks it from getting to the baby. The brain is " high in pufa " comes from the aged individual who has eaten enough pufa to replace the saturated and monounsaturated that were there at birth... aka a parkinson's brain. Mead acid is as close as the body comes to making a PUFA, and thats an omega-9. Thats one if the reasons why they are called "essential " because we cannot make them.
I know Peat has said this but I don't think the research supports this. PUFAs are passed to the baby from the mother and they are not devoid of all PUFAs in their brain. They can be deficient in the essential fatty acids Omega 3 and 6 which is probably what he was talking about.
Here is a good paper on fetal fatty acids
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2742273/

Last edited:
T

tca300

@x-ray peat Ya, I shouldn't have spoken. I know what Ray has said and therefore am good at regurgitating it. I have no way of knowing whats really going on in the brain/system. I trust him because all the things he has reccomended to me have dramatically improved my life. I need to keep my mouth shut more. Im of no authority and or learned scientist who directly observes and studies these things. I apologize. And that goes for everyone else I have debated/argued with on this forum.

x-ray peat

@x-ray peat Ya, I shouldn't have spoken. I know what Ray has said and therefore am good at regurgitating it. I have no way of knowing whats really going on in the brain/system. I trust him because all the things he has reccomended to me have dramatically improved my life. I need to keep my mouth shut more. Im of no authority and or learned scientist who directly observes and studies these things. I apologize. And that goes for everyone else I have debated/argued with on this forum.
No need to apologize. I am just getting into this area myself so I could easily be wrong too and Im sure someone will challenge what I wrote above. I think there is a long standing debate between RP's belief that we don't need any essential fatty acids in the diet and those that say we do. Mainstream science seems to say the cell membrane and brain needs PUFAs to function but RP doesn't even buy into the cell membrane theory so who knows.

Last edited:

DaveFoster

To keep it from accumulating with age you have to keep it at a half of a gram per day or less, as well as keeping total fat on the lower side. Ray stopped using regular coconut oil in exchange for hydrogenated. If your not worried about PUFA accumulating with age, you can get by just fine with regular coconut oil, aspirin, and vitamin E. Some people want to become depleted of PUFA as well as keep it from accumulating, so one would need to go to the extremes of switching to hydrogenated, along with not eating more than .5 grams of PUFA per day.
Eggs = 0.7 PUFA! Eggs are out then!

NathanK

While PUFA may be preferentially stored, i think Ray has stated that children, whom have high metabolisms, likely burn them immediately for energy.

This wont help what we have already stored, but i would assume if we raised our metabolisms like a child's then we could eat PUFA too. The real problems occur when our metabolisms dip, due to whatever form of stress, and the diet catches up with you.

mujuro

Forum Supporter
I think Ray's whole thesis is that PUFA are (a) not essential for health, (b) should not be supplemented, (c) are in fact quite harmful when consumed in large quantities.

The race to destroy all traces of PUFA in the body and live on saturates sounds more like overzealous biohacking than the ethos that Peat espouses: to go with life's flow and moderate what you put into your body. Eicosanoids and leukotrienes have their roles, much like cortisol. You'd be a fool to want to deplete any of them. Limit is a better word.

Tenacity

@tca300 Is there any issue with burning PUFA for energy over other sources? I don't recall reading anything about that in any of Peat's material, only how harmful they can be when stored and interacting with other tissues.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals