Can Refined/hydrogenated Coconut Oil Cause Diarrhea?

L

Lord Cola

Can refined or hydrogenated coconut oil cause diarrhea? If so, why? Has Ray Peat talked about this?

tara

Yes it can for some people if too much.
I think Peat has mentioned it, as have others.

OP
L

Lord Cola

Yes it can for some people if too much.
I think Peat has mentioned it, as have others.
I remember him talking about MCT possibly causing diarrhea, but never about coconut oil. Do you remember where he talked about it, and why it can happen?

postman

Regular coconut oil gives me problems, (good) MCT oil doesn't.

Dave Clark

Peat also talked about using refined coconut oil, saying that EV coconut oil could cause allergic issues if someone was sensitive to coconut. I believe coconut is in the nut family, and many people have nut allergies.

tara

I remember him talking about MCT possibly causing diarrhea, but never about coconut oil. Do you remember where he talked about it, and why it can happen?
No, sorry, I don't know why or remember where it's discussed.
How much of it are you eating? Is it combined with other foods?

Non- refined coconut oil gave me a massive headache when I tried, likely due to gut irritation. I only ate a little bit of it, so I didn't have any diarrhea, but I probably would have had, had I ingested a bunch of it.

OP
L

Lord Cola

No, sorry, I don't know why or remember where it's discussed.
How much of it are you eating? Is it combined with other foods?
It varies. I eat 2-3 tbsp of it per day, spread throughout the day. I eat it with other foods. I am thinking the bad digestion is caused by something else I eat, but it's difficult to track it down, since gut issues tend to change slowly.

tara

It varies. I eat 2-3 tbsp of it per day, spread throughout the day. I eat it with other foods. I am thinking the bad digestion is caused by something else I eat, but it's difficult to track it down, since gut issues tend to change slowly.
When I've eaten that much in my meals it's not bothered my gut that I know of, but some people are more sensitive. You could try backing down to no more than ~1tsp with each meal, and see if that makes a difference?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals