When Did This Forum Start Complaining About The PUFA In Coconut Oil ?

johnwester130

"buy hydrogenated cococnut oil instead"

"boil the pufa out the coconut oil "

"the pufa in coconut oil can build up in the body"

Is this necessary ?

T

tca300

To keep it from accumulating with age you have to keep it at a half of a gram per day or less, as well as keeping total fat on the lower side. Ray stopped using regular coconut oil in exchange for hydrogenated. If your not worried about PUFA accumulating with age, you can get by just fine with regular coconut oil, aspirin, and vitamin E. Some people want to become depleted of PUFA as well as keep it from accumulating, so one would need to go to the extremes of switching to hydrogenated, along with not eating more than .5 grams of PUFA per day.

This forum is quirky I wouldn't worry about it. They probably were eating butter on the side as a snack lol

Tenacity

To keep it from accumulating with age you have to keep it at a half of a gram per day or less, as well as keeping total fat on the lower side. Ray stopped using regular coconut oil in exchange for hydrogenated. If your not worried about PUFA accumulating with age, you can get by just fine with regular coconut oil, aspirin, and vitamin E. Some people want to become depleted of PUFA as well as keep it from accumulating, so one would need to go to the extremes of switching to hydrogenated, along with not eating more than .5 grams of PUFA per day.

Interesting, what's your source for the .5g claim?

I think keeping PUFA intake to levels we'd usually expect to find in non-seed-oil and non-fish-eating people is reasonable, although I commend the people who would experiment further to see what is physiologically possible.

EDIT: I suppose 0.5g is possible if one consumed solely skim milk, but most other natural foods will bring you over that threshold. That'd be a lot of liquid too...

T

tca300

@Tenacity Ray himself, through email.

Me - " You have repeatedly mentioned PUFA accumulates with aging. My question is, if someone in their 20's started eating a diet with less than 2 grams of PUFA per day, and maintained that low PUFA intake permanently into old age, would PUFA still accumulate with age? Thank you!"

Ray - " I think some would still accumulate in the fat tissues, unless total fat intake was low, and PUFA intake was half a gram or less."

Tenacity

@tca300 Fascinating. Have you had much experience keeping your intake that low? How is it?

Any ideas why total fat intake being low is a necessity? So that the PUFA is used for energy rather than stored?

T

tca300

@Tenacity I eat very low PUFA and pretty low total fat. I seem to be unique in the sense that I dont crave fat, nor desire to eat foods other than, milk, fruit, etc.. I feel great and have no desire to change what Im doing. I have been on a low PUFA diet for almost 10 years now so that might have something to do with why I dont crave fat. And your right, if total fat is high the body will use saturated for energy purposes and store PUFA, but if you keep saturated on the lower side, the body will burn off the small amounts of PUFA consumed, or released from the tissues.

" I think it’s that even a moderate intake of PUFA becomes toxic eventually with a high calorie intake, because it’s stored rather than being used right away as fuel. " - Ray Peat

raypeatclips

I am sure Ray eats more than half a gram of PUFA a day, he doesn't drink skim milk, has at least 1 large egg a day and often mentions he eats lamb. I feel like he would be more concerned with getting it under the 4 grams a day that is always mentioned, than 0.5.

T

tca300

@raypeatclips He averages 1.5 grams per day. We're talking about the extremes one would need to go to in order to keep it from accumulating, not what Peat does personally.

Agent207

haha.. I pointed out about this phenomena not so much ago. Is the usual evolve of "diets" when they become cultish ideologies. It has happened on almost every trended diet under the map.

Imagine when low carb philosophy followers start to become worried about the carbs on veggies lol. Anyway its also to be noted that in this forum most of the people don't fall under that profile and contribute with quality input and open mind around Peat's work.

T

tca300

@Agent207 I understand what your saying, but If one does personal experamenting and finds something that is highly beneficial for themselves, makes them feel better than before etc... vs just doing it because of an idea, and doesnt try to get anyone else to join them, could that be considered "cultish"?

Mito

I eat very low PUFA and pretty low total fat
How many grams of total fat would you say that you average per day to keep PUFA < 0.5 g? Is most of your dietary fat in the form of hydrogenated coconut oil?

Last edited:
T

tca300

@Mito I dont keep it .5 grams or less all the time. When I eat mushrooms or liver it raises it up to about .7grams or so. If im not gaining weight, its not a problem to go a little higher than .5 per day. But this is most days. I eat this way because It makes me feel and function my best, as well as I very much enjoy the taste and the almost zero prep time.
Screenshot_20170125-182416.jpg

I need to rename one of my threads to "PUFA depletion, or reduction?" It's impossible to fully "deplete," therefore, reduce, is the better term. You can deplete your stores, but not "completely deplete," only "dramatically reduce."

lampofred

Are you living to be healthy or being healthy to live...

T

tca300

@Westside PUFAs Ray doesn't agree with you in this case. Although I understand you dont agree with him all the time.

Me - " My diet of fruit, skim milk, occasional liver, gelatin, and hydrogenated coconut oil is very satisfying and makes me feel so good I have no desire to eat other foods. So are you saying we cant deplete our bodies of PUFA even if we keep it super low chronically? "

Ray - " That’s the sort of diet that will do it."

T

tca300

@lampofred Even though I very much enjoy my diet, I eat to live, not live to eat. Being healthy and feeling good goes hand in hand with happiness.

@Westside PUFAs Ray doesn't agree with you in this case. Although I understand you dont agree with him all the time.

Me - " My diet of fruit, skim milk, occasional liver, gelatin, and hydrogenated coconut oil is very satisfying and makes me feel so good I have no desire to eat other foods. So are you saying we cant deplete our bodies of PUFA even if we keep it super low chronically? "

Ray - " That’s the sort of diet that will do it."

Well he's contradicting himself then, unless his response to you was just agreeing about depletion, but not 100% depletion or elimination. We have to be specific about what we mean.

See his quotes here: The Big Misunderstanding About PUFA Depletion

and in this video:

T

tca300

@Westside PUFAs He knows the average person would never eat low enough PUFA to keep it from accumulating, which is what he is talking about in that video. It is possible, but not realistic for the typical person. Ask him specifically about it... There is no contradiction.

@Westside PUFAs He knows the average person would never eat low enough PUFA to keep it from accumulating, which is what he is talking about in that video. It is possible, but not realistic for the typical person.

Well not really because in that video he says that even if one ate butter and coconut oil, it will still accumulate in adipose tissue. Of course the average person eats a lot of cooking/condiment oils and fatty fish but a Peatarian who avoids all of that and eats butter and CO will still have pufa accumulation. I just like to use words for their true meaning. It makes sense to say depletion, but not "completely."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals