How to bind aldehydes?

gabys225

Does anyone have any info on what can be done to reduce aldehydes or bind them/get rid of them?

I know of:

Glutathione
Molybdenum
Thiamine
ALA

I also think zeolite may bind aldehydes but it's speculative.

aliml

"Aldehyde dehydrogenases (ALDH) are a group of enzymes that catalyse the oxidation of aldehydes. They convert aldehydes to carboxylic acids. These enzymes participate in a wide variety of biological processes including the detoxification of exogenously and endogenously generated aldehydes."

"ALDH1 and ALDH2 are the most important enzymes for aldehyde oxidation. These enzymes are found in many tissues of the body but are at the highest concentration in the liver."

"Magnesium may be used to help the enzyme function, although the degree to which magnesium assists the enzyme varies between different classes of aldehydes."

"Alda-1 is the first known ALDH2 activator."

"Of the steroid hormone family, Thyroid hormone, Progesterone, and DHT increased ALDH2 activity approximately 50%, whereas Dexamethasone and Estradiol had little effect. Insulin decreased the activity of ALDH2."

NAC, ALA, Sulforaphane and Allicin increase the enzymatic activity of ALDH. Other sulfur-containing compounds, such as thiamine (its analogues), biotin, pantethine, magnesium (zinc) sulfate, MSM, etc. may also have this property!

miquelangeles

I don't know about aldehydes derived from lipid peroxidation or metabolism, but aldehydes produced by gut microbiota can be effectively reduced with lactulose and possibly with other prebiotic fibers as well. Lactulose also reduces ammonia and endotoxin. Activated charcoal too, carrot salad etc.

DrJ

Does anyone have any info on what can be done to reduce aldehydes or bind them/get rid of them?

I know of:

Glutathione
Molybdenum
Thiamine
ALA

I also think zeolite may bind aldehydes but it's speculative.
Sulfur. Did you see the thread on wondro? Basically a really interesting book on neutralizing acetaldehyde:

OP
G

gabys225

Thank you Animl, miquelangeles and thank you Dr J! That's a seriously interesting thread and huge help. Thanks again!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals