• Due to excessive bot signups along with nefarious actors we are limiting forum registration. Keep checking back for the register link to appear. Please do not send emails or have someone post to the forum asking for a signup link. Until the current climate changes we do not see a change of this policy. To join the forum you must have a compelling reason. Letting us know what skills/knowledge you will bring to the community along with the intent of your stay here will help in getting you approved.

Vitamin K, D and A bind to the SARS‐CoV‐2 spike protein

Birdie

This was really interesting. Here is the abstract:

We investigate binding of linoleate and other potential ligands to the recently discovered fatty acid binding site in the SARS‐CoV‐2 spike protein, using docking and molecular dynamics simulations. Simulations suggest that linoleate and dexamethasone stabilize the locked spike conformation, thus reducing the opportunity for ACE2 interaction.

In contrast, cholesterol may expose the receptor‐binding domain by destabilizing the closed structure, preferentially binding to a different site in the hinge region of the open structure. We docked a library of FDA‐approved drugs to the fatty acid site using an approach that reproduces the structure of the linoleate complex.

Docking identifies steroids (including dexamethasone and vitamin D); retinoids (some known to be active in vitro, and vitamin A); and vitamin K as potential ligands that may stabilize the closed conformation. The SARS‐CoV‐2 spike fatty acid site may bind a diverse array of ligands, including dietary components, and therefore provides a promising target for therapeutics or prophylaxis.

Using dexamethasone type compounds is part of treatment plans used by doctors who treat Covid 19, so this helps give insight for that.

Birdie

The fat‐soluble vitamins D (vitamin D3 metabolite calcitriol), K and A ranked more highly than LA− by BUDE binding energy. Vitamin K2 is the highest ranked compound overall;

Birdie

Maybe a study of some of the more pricy compounds with the Spike Protein will follow. but this simulation is great confirmation.

Mauritio

Maybe a study of some of the more pricy compounds with the Spike Protein will follow. but this simulation is great confirmation.
I'm just not sure how applicable that is for reality and what a good dosage would be.
But I asked Peat what he thinks about that study in relation to vitamin K for covid treatment/vaccines .

Grapelander

This study shows that Vitamin K, D, and A very effectively bind to a certain part of the SARS‐CoV‐2 spike protein (fatty acid binding site) .
Through this mechanism it inhibits viral entry, because it blocks binding to the endogenous ACE2 enzyme.
At least this is how I'm reading it, correct me if I'm wrong.

Interestingly vitamin K2 was the most effective out of all the substances they screened! Vitamin D and K were also up there.

"Vitamin K2 is the highest ranked compound overall; vitamin A acetate is ranked 17th; vitamin D (calcitriol) 24th; vitamin A 38th and vitamin K1 70th."

"Furthermore, the implication that, by binding to the spike FA site, fat‐soluble vitamins may stabilize the locked form of the spike and inhibit viral entry suggests that these compounds could also play a more direct role in protecting host cells from viral infection. "

I'll include a list of the 100 most effective substances they found.
Most of the molecules I've never heard of (maybe @haidut knows some of them) ,but a quick google search shows the third most effective is an analog of vitamin D2 and lowers PTH . Squalene is also mentioned.
(Doxercalciferol - Wikipedia)

View attachment 30491View attachment 30490

(Molecular Simulations suggest Vitamins, Retinoids and Steroids as Ligands of the Free Fatty Acid Pocket of the SARS‐CoV‐2 Spike Protein)

Ursolic Acid ranks well on this list:

Ursolic acid is present in many plants, such as Mirabilis jalapa,as well as in many fruits and herbs used in daily life (e.g. apples, basil and holy basil, bilberries, cranberries, elder flower, peppermint, rosemary, lavender, oregano, thyme, hawthorn, and prunes). Apple peels contain large quantities of ursolic acid and related compounds.

In vitro, ursolic acid inhibits the proliferation of various cancer cell types by inhibiting the STAT3 activation pathway, and may also decrease proliferation of cancer cells and induce apoptosis. Ursolic acid has also been shown to inhibit JNK expression and IL-2 activation of JURKAT leukemic T Cells leading to the reduction in proliferation and T cell activation. Ursolic acid is a weak aromatase inhibitor (IC50 = 32 μM), and has been shown to increase the amount of muscle and brown fat and decrease white fat obesity and associated conditions when added to diets fed to mice. Under physiological concentrations, ursolic acid also induces eryptosis (the apoptosis-like suicidal cell death in defective red blood cells). It has been found to reduce muscle atrophy and to stimulate muscular growth in mice, also shows a potential cardioprotection.

In mice, ursolic acid induces neural regeneration after sciatic nerve injury. In mice with chronic multiple sclerosis, ursolic acid has reduced further damage to neurons and helped rebuild the protective sheaths covering neurons, apparently by suppressing Th17 immune cells and activating precursor cells that mature into myelin-sheath-making cells, called oligodendrocytes. Ursolic acid improves domoic acid-induced cognitive deficits in mice. Ursolic acid improves high fat diet-induced cognitive impairments by blocking endoplasmic reticulum stress and IκB kinase β/nuclear factor-κB-mediated inflammatory pathways in mice. Ursolic acid attenuates lipopolysaccharide-induced cognitive deficits in mouse brain through suppressing p38/NF-κB mediated inflammatory pathways. Ursolic acid ameliorates cognition deficits and attenuates oxidative damage in the brain of senescent mice induced by D-galactose. Ursolic acid enhances mouse liver regeneration after partial hepatectomy. Ursolic acid enhances the cellular immune system and pancreatic beta-cell function in streptozotocin-induced diabetic mice fed a high-fat diet. UA increased skeletal muscle mass, as well as grip strength and exercise capacity. Improved endurance, reduced the expression of the genes involved in the development of muscle atrophy, and decreased indicators of accumulated fatigue and exercise-induced stress.

Mauritio

Here's the email exchange :

Q: Hello Mr. Peat,
Have you seen this study?
It shows vitamin K2 beeing very good at binding to the SARS-cov-2 spike protein.
Molecular Simulations suggest Vitamins, Retinoids and Steroids as Ligands of the Free Fatty Acid Pocket of the SARS‐CoV‐2 Spike Protein

A: I hadn’t seen it, thanks.

Q: You're welcome.
What do you think that means for k2 as a potential treatment for covid and vaccine damage / shedding?

A: Inflammation tends to calcify soft tissues, and K helps to prevent that, so, like vitamin D, it protects at a fundamental level.

Q: Thanks. I'm not sure if you've seen it ,but there is a study showing the spike protein beein able to activate TLR4 independently of its viral action .
So Vitamin D is working on an even more fundamental level, as it also works as a TLR4-antagonist.

SARS-CoV-2 spike protein interacts with and activates TLR41

Mr.Bollox

Here's the email exchange :

Q: Hello Mr. Peat,
Have you seen this study?
It shows vitamin K2 beeing very good at binding to the SARS-cov-2 spike protein.
Molecular Simulations suggest Vitamins, Retinoids and Steroids as Ligands of the Free Fatty Acid Pocket of the SARS‐CoV‐2 Spike Protein

A: I hadn’t seen it, thanks.

Q: You're welcome.
What do you think that means for k2 as a potential treatment for covid and vaccine damage / shedding?

A: Inflammation tends to calcify soft tissues, and K helps to prevent that, so, like vitamin D, it protects at a fundamental level.

Q: Thanks. I'm not sure if you've seen it ,but there is a study showing the spike protein beein able to activate TLR4 independently of its viral action .
So Vitamin D is working on an even more fundamental level, as it also works as a TLR4-antagonist.

SARS-CoV-2 spike protein interacts with and activates TLR41
what else activates TLR4, endotoxin, silica