Things To Avoid If You Have Too Much Serotonin

Eric88

If you have high serotonin like me, you must be careful or avoid these:
SJW, 5-htp and Sam-e - avoid them completely but you probably already know that!
Licorice - works wonders on peptic ulcers, the thyroid and lowers DHT but it has MAOI effect. Btw any suggestions for alternatives?
Hops - studies say it acts on serotonin but by itself I think I can tolerate it in low doses.
Yarrow (Achillea millefolium) - potentially boosts serotonin
Ginseng - boosts serotonin
Ashwaganda - made me more anxious and had hot waves. I think it's one of the reasons why my serotonin levels have become so high.
Gentiana - might boost serotonin
Chamomile and Peppermint - not sure if they act on serotonin or receptors but drinking a mixture of them after taking licorice triggered serotonin syndrome symptoms. By themselves however I can tolerate them.
Lavender - I can tolerate it but studies say it might bind to serotonin transporters (results showed that lavender essential oil and its main components exert affinity for the glutamate NMDA-receptor in a dose-dependent manner with an IC50 value of 0.04 μl/mL for lavender oil. In addition, lavender and linalool were also able to bind the serotonin transporter (SERT) whereas they did not show affinity for GABAA-benzodiazepine receptor.)

Apparently YMMV as in addition to being hyper serotonin I have a sluggish liver (undermethylator?) and I'm underweight. It's so hard for me to find herbs abd supplement that don't trigger a serotonin syndrome. Unfortunately I haven't found a Cyproheptadine-like herb or one that removes serotonin from the heart and brain.

Kunstruct

Why does mint tea helps with gut issues? I have been avoid it because of the claims of being an 5AR antagonist.
But when I had nausea or had gas or gut issues it has always helped back in the days when I took it acutely like that.

postman

Black pepper and a lot of other spices increase serotonin. Methylene blue increases serotonin unless you microdose it.

If you're looking for herbs that lower serotonin, feverfew might be worth a try.

OP
E

Eric88

I think I didn't have high serotonin levels before taking 5htp and Ashwaganda (not at the same time of course!). Those two f up your serotonin system.

Kunstruct

I think I didn't have high serotonin levels before taking 5htp and Ashwaganda (not at the same time of course!). Those two f up your serotonin system.

I mean 5HTP it is in the name what it does, 5-Hydroxytryptophan which converts directly into 5TH a.k.a. 5-hydroxytryptamine a.k.a. Serotonin

OP
E

Eric88

Sire but at that time I believed the dangerous mantra of boosting serotonin is good that even diet/alt help blogs and doctors peddle.

It seems that once you up your serotonin it's very difficult for it to go down without Cypro. I will try taking lower doses of licorice as I need the DHT-reducing benefits. Hopefully that was an overreaction due to also taking peppermint and chamomile tea at the same time.

Is there a way to fix (downregulate?) serotonin receptors after experiencing serotonin syndrome?

opethfeldt

What are the symptoms of serotonin deficiency?
Calmness and bliss. Just kidding of course, but I'm not aware you can actually induce a true deficiency to where side effects would occur. In practice, I think you'd only experience positive effects by lowering serotonin.

OP
E

Eric88

^True. But it seems like lowering is very hard as way too many pills, supplements and herbs boost serotonin. I bet most people have serotonin excess judging by how many people have anxiety and are always rushing etc.

Kunstruct

Hopefully that was an overreaction due to also taking peppermint and chamomile tea at the same time.
Why is peppermint serotoninogenic? calming IBS, reducing gas, getting rid of nausea these are actually anti-serotonin, at least acutely they are. Do you even have these types of serotonin symptoms, gut issues, nausea, headache?
As far as I know perppermint is an 5AR inhibitor, since you talk about needing DHT reduced. Which I am not sure how good that is to reduce DHT.

OP
E

Eric88

Feeling like needels in my head (I get similar from caffeine, ginseng, ginkgo).
Sometimes chest pains in left.
Hot flashes.
Involuntary muscle contractions in my gut.
Feeling sudden doom.
When I take activated charcoal in SS case I get cold chills though. I am never going to live without some charcoal tablets with me!

It's weird that I didn't use to react to so many things like now. I guess years of trying 5htp, Ashwaganda and various SSRIs did a number on me. SJW has always caused me hot flashes and anxiety though! I desperately look for Cypro but it's no longer imported here.

Kunstruct

Have you tried GABA supplements for calming down? Even if they could cause some lethargy seems a bit better than being stressed out and filled with anxiety, they might reduce cortisol also.

OP
E

Eric88

Is L theanine a GABA supplement? I try it and it's nice but nothing special.

I'd love to try Cypro. I hope it reboots the Serotonin system after too much SSRI, SJW and whatnot. Hopefully I can find some foreigner here that has some. I need it for my allergies too.

Last edited:
OP
E

Eric88

Serenoa repens - afects serotonin. As in I got serotonin syndrom like symptoms - hot flashes, agitation, stomach cramps... It lowers DHT which is good in my case but to be avoided due to serotonin boosting effects.