High Serum Iron?

dfspcc20

I had some standard lab tests done recently, mostly because it was something my insurance would pay for as part of preventative care.

The main thing that concerned me was out-of-range serum iron. Result was 185 ug/dL, range was 38 - 169.

What other lab numbers should be considered with serum iron? It doesn't look like I have transferrin or ferritin.

Is it simply an indication that there's too much iron in my system? Blood donation the answer?
Or a symptom in itself, such as from some sort of chronic infection?

tankasnowgod

I had some standard lab tests done recently, mostly because it was something my insurance would pay for as part of preventative care.

The main thing that concerned me was out-of-range serum iron. Result was 185 ug/dL, range was 38 - 169.

What other lab numbers should be considered with serum iron? It doesn't look like I have transferrin or ferritin.

Is it simply an indication that there's too much iron in my system? Blood donation the answer?
Or a symptom in itself, such as from some sort of chronic infection?

On it's own, Serum Iron doesn't tell you much. It varies a lot, and it responds to many things, including eating and digestion.

Firstly, was the test done fasting? If not, it could simply reflect the you recently ate. Especially if you ate something iron rich (like meat). Ferritin is the best marker for total body iron stores, and TSAT (of which serum iron is a part) is decent too. Best idea would be to get a full iron panel, you can order them on your own for between 40-80 dollars or so.

Blood donation would probably be good regardless. Even men with "high normal" levels of iron get health benefits from even modest iron lowering. And blood donors tend to be healthier in general.

OP
dfspcc20

dfspcc20

On it's own, Serum Iron doesn't tell you much. It varies a lot, and it responds to many things, including eating and digestion.

Firstly, was the test done fasting? If not, it could simply reflect the you recently ate. Especially if you ate something iron rich (like meat). Ferritin is the best marker for total body iron stores, and TSAT (of which serum iron is a part) is decent too. Best idea would be to get a full iron panel, you can order them on your own for between 40-80 dollars or so.

Blood donation would probably be good regardless. Even men with "high normal" levels of iron get health benefits from even modest iron lowering. And blood donors tend to be healthier in general.

Yes, I was fasting for 12 hours prior.

I started donating somewhat regularly a few years ago, but stopped after I had an unpleasant experience. I'll probably start again regardless; at the very least, it's a free total cholesterol test. :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals