Mild Iron Deficiency

Breadpill

Doctor said I have a mild iron deficiency and recommends taking an oral iron supplement. Probably not going to take one but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for raising my hemoglobin/hematocrit. I have not donated blood in over a year and each time i went in my hematocrit was decreasing each visit.

I did not have ferritin or other iron metrics tested because the labs were ordered for something else and just happened to indicate anemia. Please let me know your thoughts.

Here are my lab results:

ComponentYour ValueStandard Range
TSH1.080 uIU/mL0.450 - 4.500 uIU/mL
Triiodothyronine,Free,Serum3.8 pg/mL2.0 - 4.4 pg/mL
T4,Free(Direct)1.31 ng/dL0.82 - 1.77 ng/dL
ComponentYour ValueStandard Range
WBC9.5 TH/MM34.8 - 10.8 TH/MM3
RBC5.97 MIL/MM34.7 - 6.1 MIL/MM3
Hemoglobin11.8 G/DL14.0 - 18.0 G/DL
Hematocrit38.6 %42 - 52 %

On average I seem to be getting about 11mg of Iron per day through food according to sporadic cronometer tracking.

OP
B

Breadpill

Some background nutrition info i forgot to mention is I have been avoiding pufas for about 3 years now. I drink a half gallon of milk per day. Usually have some ground beef or chicken along with white rice or some pasta. I eat alot of cheese, drink about 3 cans of coke each day, some orange juice.

Total calories are usually around 3500 per day

Hans

Forum Supporter
Nothing is going to beat liver and spleen. If you can have that daily, you'd be good to go in no time. They will provide all the necessary nutrients from hemoglobin creation, since not just iron is required.

If you can't do liver and spleen or don't like it, chicken liver is also a good alternative. That or try to get 1+ lbs of red meat daily.

tankasnowgod

Doctor said I have a mild iron deficiency and recommends taking an oral iron supplement. Probably not going to take one but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for raising my hemoglobin/hematocrit. I have not donated blood in over a year and each time i went in my hematocrit was decreasing each visit.

I did not have ferritin or other iron metrics tested because the labs were ordered for something else and just happened to indicate anemia. Please let me know your thoughts.
I don't know how your doctor can claim you have a "mild iron deficeincy" when he didn't measure any true iron markers. Ferritin or TSAT would be far more useful in establishing iron levels of the body.

I guess the Hemoglobin numbers would qualify as a "mild anemia," since the cutoff is 12.0 G/DL. But anemia can have many causes, and can even happen in the face of high iron.

When I was getting de-ironed, I noticed Hemoglobin dropping along with ferritin. I then started taking a B Complex at that point (or using Life Extensions "Two Per Day" Iron Free Multi), and noticed my Hemoglobin numbers went up, even as ferritin continued dropping. Various B vitamins are known to cause some anemias (like Pernicious Anemia).

Before taking any Iron Supplement, I would personally get or demand a full iron panel, with TSAT and Ferritin. I would also see if Hemoglobin responds to a B Complex, before taking any iron supplements.

OP
B

Breadpill

Nothing is going to beat liver and spleen. If you can have that daily, you'd be good to go in no time. They will provide all the necessary nutrients from hemoglobin creation, since not just iron is required.

If you can't do liver and spleen or don't like it, chicken liver is also a good alternative. That or try to get 1+ lbs of red meat daily.
Thank you, I plan to get back to eating liver again. Its been probably over 6 months since I've had any.

I don't know how your doctor can claim you have a "mild iron deficeincy" when he didn't measure any true iron markers. Ferritin or TSAT would be far more useful in establishing iron levels of the body.

I guess the Hemoglobin numbers would qualify as a "mild anemia," since the cutoff is 12.0 G/DL. But anemia can have many causes, and can even happen in the face of high iron.

When I was getting de-ironed, I noticed Hemoglobin dropping along with ferritin. I then started taking a B Complex at that point (or using Life Extensions "Two Per Day" Iron Free Multi), and noticed my Hemoglobin numbers went up, even as ferritin continued dropping. Various B vitamins are known to cause some anemias (like Pernicious Anemia).

Before taking any Iron Supplement, I would personally get or demand a full iron panel, with TSAT and Ferritin. I would also see if Hemoglobin responds to a B Complex, before taking any iron supplements.
Thanks for the suggestions. Ill request a full iron panel when I go in and look into a B complex.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals