Healing from deep burns--regaining oil/sweat gland function

Luvfoody

Hello :) I am a new member but have been reading a lot of articles. Was wondering if there may be any rp thoughts related to how to treat thermal burns. My oil/sweat glands don't work after a deep 2nd degree burn to my entire face. I think if the oil/sweat glands could restart it would help the skin repair but I'm not aware if there is any protocol that might be ray peat inspired that could help topically or through diet. I know there is some advice on sunburns but this is a deep burn with scars and thinned skin. It's been about a year and I have been trying to eat healthy and originally applied aloe. Anyway thanks for your thoughts.

tara

:welcome Luvfoody

I can't think of anything specific from Peat on deep burns - maybe someone else has come across something. Maybe some topical applications may be relevant.
Peat's general recommendations regarding nutrition and metabolism may help give you a good basis for whatever further healing is possible.

Luvfoody said:
post 100831 It's been about a year and I have been trying to eat healthy
What does this mean for you? Have you seen the sticky posts in the Diet subforum?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
L

Luvfoody

Thanks for your reply -- I was eating healthy in a traditional sense like balanced meals and taking lots of supplements that are suppose to help skin and immunity but it hasn't really amounted to any healing. I think scar tissue remodels over a 18 month period on average so hopefully there is still a chance to improve. I've been adding more peaty principles to my meals in the last months.

To target the skin, topically applying vitamin e lately and Shea butter (low Pufa oils) and opened a pregnonelone capsule to mix in to see if it would help. I was using aloe but learned it may have estrogen properties :( I ordered progest-e to see if that could help with burns but most of the hormone creams don't say to apply to face so I'm not sure.

I wonder if there is iron in the tissue after a wound. To eliminate iron, I'm taking aspirin, vit k2, niacinimide and vitamin e, green tea with meals and grape seed extract and other antioxidants to flush out iron in between meals.

I take collagen (Great Lakes green can) with skim milk. Is that as good as gelatin? I find gelatin gets clumpy in drinks. I drink carrot juice but wasn't clear if that has benefits like the recommended carrots.

Anyway hopefully some of this is on the right track :roll:

I know there is at least one kind of moisturized that claims "carbon dioxide". But you could also get carbon dioxide canisters and devise a way to keep the gas on your skin for periods of time.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Don't drink carrot juice just eat the raw carrots/carrot salad. The juice liberates too much beta carotene and can suppress the thyroid.

tara

Such_Saturation said:
post 101115 I know there is at least one kind of moisturized that claims "carbon dioxide". But you could also get carbon dioxide canisters and devise a way to keep the gas on your skin for periods of time.
I was trying to think of a way to do this, and I haven't come up with anything yet. Tricky on the face. Any ideas how? If the carbon dioxide cream really does apply carbon dioxide, that seems like a good idea.

Luvfoody said:
post 101111 I take collagen (Great Lakes green can) with skim milk. Is that as good as gelatin? I find gelatin gets clumpy in drinks. I drink carrot juice but wasn't clear if that has benefits like the recommended carrots.

Many people find GL collagen good. Mixing the gelatin in cold water and letting it sit for a minute can avoid it clumping.

The point of Peat's recommendation for grated carrot salad is the fibre - it can sweep out some of the endotoxin and estrogen from the gut before it gets reabsorbed into the bloodstream. Some people with low metabolism or B12 deficit have trouble dealing with too much carotene from the juice - if your skin or callouses are orange it's probably best avoided.

I think you could use some kind of bag with tubes for the nostrils reaching out of it. However the eye tissue could also need special measures.

tara

Some progesterone creams have very little progesterone, and a lot of counterproductive stuff in the cream.
Progest-e, that some of us here use, is progesterone + vit-E + oils from coconut.
I can't think of any reason for not applying it to your face, as opposed to other skin. Applying to skin can mean that some of sits in the local tissue and can be released over a longer time, so if you stop using it for some reason, the systemic effects can continue for longer (weeks). Depending on the rest of your health/situation, this might be just fine, but dosing is quite individual. It would probably be absorbed easier with a drop of olive oil.

If you do use it, it is important to be well nourished - if you are not eating enough, or are deficient in minerals and vitamins, adding hormones that can help bring metabolism up can result in worse deficiencies and stress, and catabolism rather than recovery of skin etc. One of the nutrients to consider for healing is the basic calorie. I think you've got that Peat strongly advises against PUFA oils. He also generally favours getting at least 80-100g good protein, and plenty of sugar from fruit, milk, honey over large amounts of starchy foods.

I Burtlancast and Haidut have posted about DMSO. I think there may be some potential risks with it if you are exposed internally or externally to toxic substances, it may influence (eg increase) the effectiveness of some medicines, and it tends to leave a garlicky smell. I think there is talk of it being used to help against scaring.

tara

Such_Saturation said:
post 101127 I think you could use some kind of bag with tubes for the nostrils reaching out of it. However the eye tissue could also need special measures.
Ah, yes, plastic bag over head, snorkel, and keep the eyes shut.:)
I'd probably want someone around to keep an eye on me - could be easy to accidentally breathe a bit too much CO2 and pass out.

tara said:
post 101131
Such_Saturation said:
post 101127 I think you could use some kind of bag with tubes for the nostrils reaching out of it. However the eye tissue could also need special measures.
I'd probably want someone around to keep an eye on me - could be easy to accidentally breathe a bit too much CO2 and pass out.

Yes, I think there is too much risk not to have a sitter.

Parsifal

If I remember well Ray Peat says that in case of wounds and burns it can be helpful to put topical honey and sugar on the wound? Maybe red light may help as well?

Everything else that tara and Such said seems great. Everything that will increase and uncouple metabolism in there wounded area might help it to regenerate. Read Peat's article on the topic of regeneration.

tara

Parsifal said:
post 101136 If I remember well Ray Peat says that in case of wounds and burns it can be helpful to put topical honey and sugar on the wound? Maybe red light may help as well?
I Peat's mention of honey and sugar idea on wounds was about current wounds, to reduce infection risk and maybe also against scar formation. But maybe it would help topically now too.

Red light seems like a good idea.

I wonder whether topical caffeine, aspirin, niacinamide (eg solban) would have any good effect here too.

Parsifal

tara said:
I wonder whether topical caffeine, aspirin, niacinamide (eg solban) would have any good effect here too.
Sugar/honey/B vitamins/niacinamide/aspirin/caffeine/methylene blue/vitamin A/red light and BOOM :soon

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:lol:

tara

OP
L

Luvfoody

tara said:
post 101131
Such_Saturation said:

Thanks so much for all the nice suggestions. I couldn't find a carbon dioxide cream so might look at covering my face to increase co2. Would sleeping with pillow over head or a gel mask or sleeping with face under the covers for a bit do something similar. If I do a plastic bag, I guess exhale a few times to capture co2 in the bag to puff it out a bit and then punch small holes with straws for either nose or mouth? Does that sound about right?

goodandevil

I just heard ray peat discussing a burn patient on politics & science progesterone. He said you can warm olive oil and rub it onto tbe skin, then rub progesterone on that. He even went so far as to say he carries progesterone in his first aid kit lol what a character

OP
L

Luvfoody

tara said:
post 101142
Parsifal said:
post 101136 If I remember well Ray Peat says that in case of wounds and burns it can be helpful to put topical honey and sugar on the wound? Maybe red light may help as well?

Would like something like solban but without the alcohol or perhaps aspirin bc my skin is sensitive and a still atrophic/losing fat. Things that increase circulation might help. Do some folks make their own formulas by just mixing in a very small amount of powders, so like a sprinkle of aspirin powder or niacinamide capsule or a coffee grind to a coconut oil or e base?

Peata

Regeneration and degeneration: Types of inflammation change with aging

A few things from the article:

...PUFA also interfere with the turnover of collagen by inhibiting proteolytic enzymes that are necessary for tissue remodeling. These are among the changes that characterize scar formation, rather than the scarless regeneration that can occur in the fetus....

....Besides minimizing dietary PUFA, other things are known that will reduce the fibrosis associated with injury, inflammation, or aging. Thyroid hormone, progesterone, and carbon dioxide all reduce inflammation while facilitating normal tissue remodeling....

...The amount of disorganized fibrous material formed in injured tissue is variable, and it depends on the state of the individual, and on the particular situation of the tissue. For example, the membranes lining the mouth, and the bones and bone marrow, and the thymus gland are able to regenerate without scarring. What they have in common with each other is a relatively high ratio of carbon dioxide to oxygen. Salamanders, which are able to regenerate legs, jaw, spinal cord, retina and parts of the brain (Winklemann & Winklemann, 1970), spend most of their time under cover in burrows, which besides preventing drying of their moist skin, keeps the ratio of carbon dioxide to oxygen fairly high....

And more info in that article.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals