CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Cascara Sagrada Powder From Farmalabor In Italy
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. **NEW Mini Body Light** MBL1 - Orange & Red Light Therapy Mini Body Light
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Gynecomastia Associated With Low Androgens, High Cortisol / Estrogen / Prolactin / LH / FSH

Discussion in 'Scientific Studies' started by haidut, Jan 11, 2017.

1. haidut

haidut Member

I just wanted to post this study here since there is still controversy in endocrinology circles about exactly what imbalance causes gynecomastia. Ray has written on the role of cortisol and prolactin in causing gyno, which is in addition to the generally accepted view of estrogen being the primary cause.

[Functional state of the hypophysis, adrenal cortex and gonads in patients with gynecomastia]. - PubMed - NCBI

"...Patients with gynecomastia revealed simultaneous increase in blood levels of estrogens, glucocorticoids and pituitary (first of all, gonadotropic) hormones associated with a decrease in blood-androgen concentration. Such combination of disturbances may account for hyperplasia of the male breast."

2. Syncopated

Syncopated Member

wood worker
    After a suicide attempt I was mandated to take Invega.(paliperidone)

This drug is made by Janssen who also make Risperdal. Both are basically the same drug and are the worst antipsychotics for raising prolactin.

I began to develop gynecomastia and my doctor tested my prolactin. It was 29.9 and he stopped the drug, thank God Amen.

In males the prolactin should be between 4-7.

3. paymanz

paymanz Member

Can't high prolactin level be a feedback to low androgen level, to stimulate steroidogenesis?

I read Before that prolactin stimulate Stroid synthesis...

4. Dante

Dante Member

I have read that prolactin stimulates 5-AR, forum member @kineticz if i remember wrote this, hence one of the reasons for hair loss

5. meatbag

meatbag Member

Ray Peat has referred to some research indicating that prolactin is the death hormone and the body likely tries to save itself if this is the case.

6. Joeyd

Joeyd Member

Is it true cortisol lowers prolactin?

7. NathanK

NathanK Member

Ray was referring more specifically to GH as the “death hormone”, which incidentally has been connected to gyno:
    “Some studies found that heart failure and bone repair aren't improved by GH; GH is very high during heart failure, in which edema contributes to the problem; carpal tunnel syndrome, myalgia, tumor growth, gynecomastia, and many other problems have been produced by GH treatments.”

But, GH and PRL do have similar qualities:
    “It isn't surprising that the Growth Hormone helps breasts develop and promotes milk production, since it is very similar to prolactin. GH and prolactin are members of a family of proteins that have diverged from each other in evolution, but they still have many overlapping effects.”

PRL possibly came prior evolutionarily to GH and both increased by estrogen
    “Removing animals' pituitaries, Denckla found that their aging was drastically slowed. He tried to isolate the death hormone from pituitary extracts. He concluded that it wasn't prolactin, although prolactin had some of its properties. In the last publication of his that I know of on that subject, he reported that he was unable to isolate the death hormone, but that it was "in the prolactin fraction." Since rats have at least 14 different peptides in their prolactin family, not counting the multitude of modifications that can occur depending on the exact conditions of secretion, it isn't surprising that isolating a single factor with exactly the properties of the chronically functioning aging pituitary hasn't been successful.”
    Growth hormone: Hormone of Stress, Aging, and Death?