Mirtazapine Powerfully Lowers Cortisol

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Yes, progesterone ..going for blood tests and will see if I can up it. And aspirin, I have to be careful because of stomach burning/pain. It doesn't seem to help too much with pain...but maybe in long run it would help. Are there better drugs than Savella ? Looking forward to podcast . Will I find it here on forum?
Yeah, I'll post it. Judging from its side effects Savella is an unsafe drug with more in common with other serotonergic antidepressants. Anti-serotonin drugs like cyproheptadine, dyphenhydramine, and mirtazapine can improve symptoms.

For aspirin, you could get famotidine OTC or from your doctor and that will protect against the ulcers, as well as dissolving aspirin in hot water and adding glycine and/or baking soda. 1-2 grams before bed can greatly lessen pain the following day.

kaybb

Yeah, I'll post it. Judging from its side effects Savella is an unsafe drug with more in common with other serotonergic antidepressants. Anti-serotonin drugs like cyproheptadine, dyphenhydramine, and mirtazapine can improve symptoms.

For aspirin, you could get famotidine OTC or from your doctor and that will protect against the ulcers, as well as dissolving aspirin in hot water and adding glycine and/or baking soda. 1-2 grams before bed can greatly lessen pain the following day.
Thank you so much ...I will try it. I have appt. with Doctor so hopefully she will let me try the antiseronin and famotidine. She knows Ray Peat from her studies (she's close to 70) but wasn't too interested. I have another NP that would be willing to let me try some of these . Thanks so much !!

klauban

I don’t know if it is correlated to Mirtazapine or not, I don’t know.
But I have been using Mirtazapine for 8 years.
Over that period of time my morning Cortisol raised from high in the range to a few point OVER the range.
What I see here is they administered Mirtazapine at 8:AM , and saw COR lower 4 hours later.
That is , seems to me just normal , as I understand COR is at his highest at 8:AM end naturally goes down during day.
Second point is that I wonder if you take Mirtazapine at late evening, if COR does not come back with a vengeance. Effect that is also seen with ex Naltrexone that blocks endorfine , but result is a endorfine spike after Naltrexone looses its effect.
It is not really completely comparable as Naltrexone does not lower endorfine , but just blocks the endorfine receptor , giving you system a signal endorfine is to low, resulting in a spike.

But nevertheless, for a reason I do not know enough about, I can imagine that if Mirtazapine puts down COR output, afterward your system could try to restore what it reckons is the adequate COR level with a spike.
( As for the 24 urinary output, if it has been lowered for a few hours it can still be lower despite the spike afterwards , if the lowering is longer/stronger than the spike. ) ( My 24h free COR collect is also still just bellow the top of the the range, even if my morning readings are always to high )
Gives me the idea of taking a Mirtazapine in the very early morning before next COR test.
Have you had another check of your cortisol under Mirtazapine?
My cortisol is 1 standard dev. over the 97th percentile since 2010 in 2012 it was 97th. I completely resignated and am depressed.
Unfortunately, here in Germany the knowledge is appalling. I started Mirtazapine having read that it must lower cort. due to antagonism. It is so frustrating to read taht yours was not surpressed by it.
Unless, my cortisol is not controlled by medication ( fish oil etc is not enough), I will never be able to do anything again.
I can also induce striae b scratching my skin. However, it is pseudo-cushing due to depression or causing depression.
I also took steroids for 4 years in puberty due to medical malpractice. I think that changed my cortisol forever

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals