Mirtazapine Leads To Weight Gain And Systemic Inflammation

DaveFoster

It's well known that mirtazapine stimulates the appetite unlike typical antidepressants, and it tends to lead to weight gain. Dr. Peat has talked about the negative hormonal effects of leptin through its interaction with estrogen. Mirtazapine, it increases the levels of leptin and the inflammatory protein TNF-alpha.

Besides its tendency to increase BMI and body fat percentage, mirtazapine also strongly antagonizes the 5-HT3 receptor, which results in an elimination of nausea and diarrhea, and it often causes constipation. The lack of intestinal motility and increased circulating levels of endotoxin (particularly without good thyroid function or co-administration of a laxative such as cascara sagrada) could result in the increased inflammatory biomarkers.

Body weight, the tumor necrosis factor system, and leptin production during treatment with mirtazapine or venlafaxine. - PubMed - NCBI

Weight gain is a frequent and important side effect of psychopharmacotherapy. Recent studies suggest that the fat-cell-derived hormone leptin and the tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) cytokine system are pathophysiologically involved. No information is available concerning the influence of the antidepressants mirtazapine and venlafaxine on these immunoendocrine variables. An open-labeled study was performed in 20 patients suffering from major depression treated with either mirtazapine (N = 11) or venlafaxine (N = 9). During 4 weeks, the patients' weight, body mass index (BMI), and plasma levels of leptin, TNF-alpha, sTNF-R p55, and sTNF-R p75 were assessed. Mirtazapine induced a significant increase in weight (mean weight gain: 2.4 kg) that was evident after the first week of treatment. In parallel, the plasma levels of TNF-alpha and both soluble TNF receptors increased. In addition, a slight rise in leptin levels, which occurred slowly and was significant only at the end of the 4 th week of treatment, was observed. Weight decreased slightly but significantly in patients treated with venlafaxine (mean weight loss: 0.4 kg), whereas plasma levels of leptin, TNF-alpha, or soluble TNF receptors did not change significantly. The present results further support the notion that the activation of the TNF-alpha cytokine system is an early, sensitive, and specific marker of weight gain induced by psychotropic agents. In contrast, the effects of such drugs on leptin production seem to be less sensitive with respect to weight gain and more variable.

Milena

@DaveFoster Does cyproheptadine affect the weight gain factors mentioned here.? I'm taking low-ish doses - 1-2mg per day in 2 doses.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Cypro should further contribute to weight gain; keep in mind that cyproheptadine has other anti-inflammatory effects, and mirtazapine should as well. If one ate a very low-fat diet and kept their metabolic rate up, then the weight gain could be minimized.

Milena

Cypro should further contribute to weight gain; keep in mind that cyproheptadine has other anti-inflammatory effects, and mirtazapine should as well. If one ate a very low-fat diet and kept their metabolic rate up, then the weight gain could be minimized.
Comparable or less then Mirtazapine, in your opinion. I'm not sure it is the main driver for me, although I have the odd craving.

I did a test today with Red Bull. No discernable increase in temperature after consumption.
Forget Insulin resistance, I've got thermometadiabolical resistance :wacky:

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Comparable or less then Mirtazapine, in your opinion. I'm not sure it is the main driver for me, although I have the odd craving.

I did a test today with Red Bull. No discernable increase in temperature after consumption.
Forget Insulin resistance, I've got thermometadiabolical resistance :wacky:
Mirtazapine has a stronger appetite-stimulating effect. Have you gotten a thyroid panel done? (bloodwork)

Milena

Mirtazapine has a stronger appetite-stimulating effect. Have you gotten a thyroid panel done? (bloodwork)
They only did TSH and T4. I pitched for T3 but no go. TSH is over 5 but not enormously high. As per the norm, Doc classed is as no problem. I'm working around it atm. Getting a high watt incandescent and doing peaty foods.

Frankdee20

It's well known that mirtazapine stimulates the appetite unlike typical antidepressants, and it tends to lead to weight gain. Dr. Peat has talked about the negative hormonal effects of leptin through its interaction with estrogen. Mirtazapine, it increases the levels of leptin and the inflammatory protein TNF-alpha.

Besides its tendency to increase BMI and body fat percentage, mirtazapine also strongly antagonizes the 5-HT3 receptor, which results in an elimination of nausea and diarrhea, and it often causes constipation. The lack of intestinal motility and increased circulating levels of endotoxin (particularly without good thyroid function or co-administration of a laxative such as cascara sagrada) could result in the increased inflammatory biomarkers.

Body weight, the tumor necrosis factor system, and leptin production during treatment with mirtazapine or venlafaxine. - PubMed - NCBI

Weight gain is a frequent and important side effect of psychopharmacotherapy. Recent studies suggest that the fat-cell-derived hormone leptin and the tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) cytokine system are pathophysiologically involved. No information is available concerning the influence of the antidepressants mirtazapine and venlafaxine on these immunoendocrine variables. An open-labeled study was performed in 20 patients suffering from major depression treated with either mirtazapine (N = 11) or venlafaxine (N = 9). During 4 weeks, the patients' weight, body mass index (BMI), and plasma levels of leptin, TNF-alpha, sTNF-R p55, and sTNF-R p75 were assessed. Mirtazapine induced a significant increase in weight (mean weight gain: 2.4 kg) that was evident after the first week of treatment. In parallel, the plasma levels of TNF-alpha and both soluble TNF receptors increased. In addition, a slight rise in leptin levels, which occurred slowly and was significant only at the end of the 4 th week of treatment, was observed. Weight decreased slightly but significantly in patients treated with venlafaxine (mean weight loss: 0.4 kg), whereas plasma levels of leptin, TNF-alpha, or soluble TNF receptors did not change significantly. The present results further support the notion that the activation of the TNF-alpha cytokine system is an early, sensitive, and specific marker of weight gain induced by psychotropic agents. In contrast, the effects of such drugs on leptin production seem to be less sensitive with respect to weight gain and more variable.

Not many benign antidepressants exist then, how about bupropion. ? Completely different class I know.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

They only did TSH and T4. I pitched for T3 but no go. TSH is over 5 but not enormously high. As per the norm, Doc classed is as no problem. I'm working around it atm. Getting a high watt incandescent and doing peaty foods.
With increasing TSH, the negative effects are non-linear. For example, the difference between a TSH of 1 and 2 is far greater than the difference between a TSH of 2 and 3. It's unlikely that you're healthy if you have a TSH of 5 and above. "Peating" will probably not drop your TSH from 5, and if it does, it will take a while.

Not many benign antidepressants exist then, how about bupropion. ? Completely different class I know.
Bupropion does not have the negative effects of the SSRI's; it can cause some people anxiety and should probably not be used long-term because it's only been tested on the general population for a few decades, so no one knows its long-term effects.

It tends to favor norepinephrine uptake as well, and thyroid tends to do the same. Considering its use as a smoking cessation aid, it probably compensates for hypothyroidism in the same way as nicotine, so thyroid and aspirin can work on similar mechanisms.

CoconutEffect

bump

gained 15lbs on Mirtazepine
no appetite increase
15mg
reluctanct to come off this medication due to reliable sleep and increased productivity

add TocoVit + Progesterone? @DaveFoster @haidut

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

You seem to like mirtazapine...why's that?
Mirtazapine's a derivative of mianserin and has much in common the the TCA's, many of which (including mirtazapine) have been shown to extend lifespan, whereas SSRI's shorten lifespan.

bump

gained 15lbs on Mirtazepine
no appetite increase
15mg
reluctanct to come off this medication due to reliable sleep and increased productivity

add TocoVit + Progesterone? @DaveFoster @haidut
Many of the beneficial effects of mirtazapine (anti-histamine, anti-serotonin and anti-prolactin activity) occur with adequate levels of vitamin D and thyroid. Coffee supported by nutrients can lower all three hormones.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals