My prolactin won't go down. Is my heavy metal burden causing this high prolactin?

tastyfood

34 year old male.

I tested prolactin, and other pituitary hormones , and it was high yet again: 18.7. It was 14.4 6 months ago, and it doesn't go lower than that.

I have tried everything under the sun. Before this last round of tests I was using a few thing that target prolactin: vitamin E (about 10 drops of Tocovit daily) 350mg aspirin, Vitamin A, lots of salt and sunlight. All the basic things. In the past, I had tried things like Lisuride to no avails. Prolactin just won't go down.

My vitamin D has been good for a couple of years. I do all the dietary things. Thyroid is good.

For years, every round of tests I do fasting in the morning shows high prolactin, ACTH, FSH, LH....all the pituitary hormones. I'm at a loss.

My nail tests showed high aluminum, slightly high lead, and slightly high cadmium.

Are the heavy metals causing these pituitary disturbances? I feel like unless I deal with that, I will never see normal pituitary hormone results.

Thank you!

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

Have you tried semen retention?

Forgot to mention in my original post that before the test, I had gone without an ejaculation for about 21 days. Can't say that was a factor for my high prolactin this time around...

aniciete

The exorphins in soy, wheat and dairy are more than capable of elevating prolactin, causing man-boobs over time. Disordered sexual behavior and general despair may be involved, too.
The ability of beta-casomorphin to increase prolactin has been documented, just as it has with wheat - and that's without discussing the poor quality of homogenized milk, containing a small amount of lipid hormones, as well as bovine growth peptides. Prolactin's function as a lactation-promoting GH analogue hormone involved in calcium metabolism makes it an obvious culprit in the etiology of this condition. Interestingly, there is a post on the gynecomastia subreddit I just found, where the author reports benefit from dairy restriction.

L_C

34 year old male.

I tested prolactin, and other pituitary hormones , and it was high yet again: 18.7. It was 14.4 6 months ago, and it doesn't go lower than that.

I have tried everything under the sun. Before this last round of tests I was using a few thing that target prolactin: vitamin E (about 10 drops of Tocovit daily) 350mg aspirin, Vitamin A, lots of salt and sunlight. All the basic things. In the past, I had tried things like Lisuride to no avails. Prolactin just won't go down.

My vitamin D has been good for a couple of years. I do all the dietary things. Thyroid is good.

For years, every round of tests I do fasting in the morning shows high prolactin, ACTH, FSH, LH....all the pituitary hormones. I'm at a loss.

My nail tests showed high aluminum, slightly high lead, and slightly high cadmium.

Are the heavy metals causing these pituitary disturbances? I feel like unless I deal with that, I will never see normal pituitary hormone results.

Thank you!
I'm somewhat in a same boat as you. I'm speculating that in my case it's too much stress that elevates my prolactin.

By the way, I would stop taking vitamin A. It easily accumulates in the tissues unless you tested low. It's better just to eat liver once in a while.

Also, my aluminum was high but my cadmium and lead were low. Hm, I didn't know heavy metals could raise prolactin. ...

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

I'm somewhat in a same boat as you. I'm speculating that in my case it's too much stress that elevates my prolactin.

By the way, I would stop taking vitamin A. It easily accumulates in the tissues unless you tested low. It's better just to eat liver once in a while.

Also, my aluminum was high but my cadmium and lead were low. Hm, I didn't know heavy metals could raise prolactin. ...

I think the heavy metals can make the pituitary overactive. That would explain why I always test high on pituitary hormones no matter what I do or take.

This time I even experimented with a bit of DHT, and LH and FSH didn't budge. Prolactin didn't go down either, it actually went up.

I was testing using a vitamin A supplement (Retinil from idealabs, topically), because it's said to lower ACTH, and inhibit cortisol and estrogen production.

TheSir

Heavy metals can cause so many different problems. Since your test is showing high levels, you are dealing with acute toxicity rather than dormant deep tissue toxicity, meaning that any issues that you are dealing with right now have good chances of being caused by the metals that are presently coursing through your body. Lead for example causes hypopituitarism which will elevate prolactin.

Hans

Forum Supporter
34 year old male.

Thank you!
What other tests did you do? Did you do a thyroid panel?

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

What other tests did you do? Did you do a thyroid panel?

Yes, I tested thyroid as always. TSH is suppressed (<0.005)

FT3 - 6.1
FT4 - 0.91
Total T3 - 250
Total T4 - 6

Waiting for RT3, but it's typically around 10. I take 40mcg of T3 per day, and 120 mcg of T4, split in 4 doses throughout the day, with food.

Other results:

LH - 9.1
FSH - 11.4
ACTH - 56.4 (range is 7.2 to 63.3)
Total cholesterol: 176
Total Testosterone: 524

Vitamin D was 75.

Last edited:

Hans

Forum Supporter
Yes, I tested thyroid as always. TSH is suppressed (<0.005)

FT3 - 6.1
FT4 - 0.91
Total T3 - 250
Total T4 - 6

Waiting for RT3, but it's typically around 10. I take 40mcg of T3 per day, and 120 mcg of T4, split in 4 doses throughout the day, with food.

Other results:

LH - 9.1
FSH - 11.4
ACTH - 56.4 (range is 7.2 to 63.3)
Total cholesterol: 176
Total Testosterone: 524

Vitamin D was 75.
Did you check your prolactin before you started using thyroid? Hypothyroidism and slight hyperthyroidism can increase prolactin. It could be that your T3 dose is too high which is stimulating the pituitary to release hormones.
I think you have a nutritional deficiency that's why T isn't that high and why prolactin is high.

Have you tried zinc, selenium, magnesium and B6 to increase T and lower P?

Heavy metals can accumulate in the testes and cause testicular dysfunction, thus increasing LH and FSH. Have you checked you CRP and DNA damage markers? Have you checked sperm quality? Sperm number and quality will drop when heavy metals accumulate in the testes.
Zinc, selenium and CoQ10 are protective.

crazypatriot

Definitely look into N Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) and Vitamin C for heavy metal detox.

Separately, Vitamin B6 as P5P (pyridoxal 5 phosphate) also lowers prolactin.

Dr. B

Definitely look into N Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) and Vitamin C for heavy metal detox.

Separately, Vitamin B6 as P5P (pyridoxal 5 phosphate) also lowers prolactin.
by what mechanism do all these substances lower prolactin, is it really beneficial and worthwhile compared to eating more calcium dairy to lower prolactin? if prolactin is a detox hormone wont artificially lowering it interfere with the detox process

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

Did you check your prolactin before you started using thyroid? Hypothyroidism and slight hyperthyroidism can increase prolactin. It could be that your T3 dose is too high which is stimulating the pituitary to release hormones.

I have never checked it before taking any amount of thyroid because I've been on it for 9 years. For what it's worth, I have many prolactin results above the range from times where I was taking a lot less thyroid because I wasn't as experienced with the regimen. At times I was taking perhaps half a tablet of Cynoplus, I had results of 17.

Heavy metals can accumulate in the testes and cause testicular dysfunction, thus increasing LH and FSH. Have you checked you CRP and DNA damage markers? Have you checked sperm quality? Sperm number and quality will drop when heavy metals accumulate in the testes.
Zinc, selenium and CoQ10 are protective.

I tested CRP ages ago and it wasn't elevated. Which DNA damage markers are you referring to? I don't make any sperm, which is one of the problems I'm trying to solve.

Looks like heavy metals are really doing damage.

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

Low iron??

Iron saturation was actually high this time around. 52%. I've been eating 7 oz of liver once a week pretty consistently for the last few months as well. I doubt my iron is low.

Thanks for the comment

crazypatriot

Also, NAC significantly reduced the levels of lipid peroxidation and markedly restored the enzymic and non-enzymatic antioxidants levels in kidney of Pb-treated rats. Moreover, NAC administration significantly increased urinary Pb excretion and decreased its level in the serum and kidney. In conclusion, NAC treatment prevents renal tubular damage induced by chronic Pb administration, most probably through its antioxidant properties and chelating ability

Chronic administration of N-acetyl cysteine significantly improved memory retention in tasks, attenuated oxidative damage and acetylcholinesterase activity in aluminium-treated rats. The study suggests a neuroprotective effect of N-acetyl cysteine against aluminium-induced cognitive dysfunction and oxidative damage.

Treatment with Vitamin C, either combined with lead or administered later seemed to offer a marked improvement of the ERG parameters, histopathological, biochemical and biophysical findings. The ERG parameters were reversed towards the normal values, retinal cytoarchitecture was much ameliorated and the changes in blood parameters were significantly alleviated. The ability of Vitamin C to reduce lead toxicity may relate to its antioxidant actions via free radical scavenging mechanism. Supplementation of diets with Vitamin C may be recommended to improve the body burden of lead.

crazypatriot

Do not use aluminum cookware, or drink tap water which may contain high levels of aluminum where you live.

The aluminum can be excreted with silicated water like Fiji water.

We have shown that drinking up to 1 L of a silicon-rich mineral water each day for 12 weeks facilitated the removal of aluminum via the urine in both patient and control groups without any concomitant affect upon the urinary excretion of the essential metals, iron and copper.

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

Do not use aluminum cookware, or drink tap water which may contain high levels of aluminum where you live.

The aluminum can be excreted with silicated water like Fiji water.

We have shown that drinking up to 1 L of a silicon-rich mineral water each day for 12 weeks facilitated the removal of aluminum via the urine in both patient and control groups without any concomitant affect upon the urinary excretion of the essential metals, iron and copper.

Thanks for this reminder. I have been buying Fiji water for a month or so. Still going through some magnesium malate, and may also give succinic acid a try.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I have never checked it before taking any amount of thyroid because I've been on it for 9 years. For what it's worth, I have many prolactin results above the range from times where I was taking a lot less thyroid because I wasn't as experienced with the regimen. At times I was taking perhaps half a tablet of Cynoplus, I had results of 17.

I tested CRP ages ago and it wasn't elevated. Which DNA damage markers are you referring to? I don't make any sperm, which is one of the problems I'm trying to solve.

Looks like heavy metals are really doing damage.
8-Hydroxy-2′-deoxyguanosine. There is also a possibility that things in the past caused irreversible damage since both LH and FSH are high. FSH would be lower if the Sertoli cells would have been working better.
Perhaps you can do a GPL-tox test to test for toxins in your system.

maillol

I had high prolactin as a result of high iron. It has gone down since lowering my iron levels. I wouldn't be surprised if other heavy metals could also cause high prolactin. If that is the case I don't think you'll see any progress from additional supplements, you need to remove the cause.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals