Glass Ionomer Fillings

jaakkima

Anyone have opinions about glass ionomer fillings? They are recommending them for my cavities on the gumline, saying that the composite ones might break down eventually, causing problems. They release fluoride; I couldn't find info on systemic absorption, which is what I wonder about.

I have 25 teeth with cavities, and I think they're recommmending glass ionomer for half or most. So how much fluoride..?

I also am extracting a tooth for root infection. I'm suspicious that this contributed to my clotting problems.

x-ray peat

Anyone have opinions about glass ionomer fillings? They are recommending them for my cavities on the gumline, saying that the composite ones might break down eventually, causing problems. They release fluoride; I couldn't find info on systemic absorption, which is what I wonder about.

I have 25 teeth with cavities, and I think they're recommmending glass ionomer for half or most. So how much fluoride..?

I also am extracting a tooth for root infection. I'm suspicious that this contributed to my clotting problems.
I would get a second opinion. 25 cavities must be a record, or your Dentist has some serious bills to pay

OP
J

jaakkima

They're all extremely visible (half the enamel off on the face, just dentin), except the ones I feel with my tongue in the back. I would have done that if they weren't obvious.

x-ray peat

ok., well I think your right to be concerned about the fluoride. I would ask for something without it. Its very toxic to your thyroid.

Dan W

I skimmed a few experiments on the amount of fluoride released from them, and it seems to vary with a lot of factors. But it seems low enough (sub-milligram over the lifetime of the filling, I'm thinking?) that I could see it being worth the tradeoff if the dentist thinks they'll stay intact longer than other options...

OP
J

jaakkima

FWIW I got a data sheet from the manufacturer and it looks like I'd be getting a few mg per year (estimating based on surface area etc), but I don't know how much is actually in the material vs what it absorbs and releases. My dentist (like every doctor I've ever had) is avoiding me with my other relevant questions for my decision.

x-ray peat

Most dentists still think fluoride is an essential mineral. I would find a fluoride free/holistic dentist.

OP
J

jaakkima

I miscalculated. It's a few mgs in the first year per filling apparently, meaning for me probably like 50 mg over a year, mostly released in the first few days. Gonna get some more opinions, shop around, consider other things first I guess.

Rivka

I've got the same issue, what decision did you make on the glass ionomer fillings?

A.R

I miscalculated. It's a few mgs in the first year per filling apparently, meaning for me probably like 50 mg over a year, mostly released in the first few days. Gonna get some more opinions, shop around, consider other things first I guess.
Hope everything is well. What decision did you take?

OP
J

jaakkima

Still working on figuring it out. I have issues that are the underlying causes so working on that has been my focus. Haven't lost any of the teeth yet. Hoping things will get better. I found a dentist who I felt is more sane and cautious than the others I've found, and am trying to trust his judgement, which for now he said was to try and improve the condition of my decaying teeth, he said he didn't feel comfortable doing work on them yet in the state they were in. Money has been a problem in going to that office for cleaning etc though. I'm just trying to unravel the big mistakes I've made the last few years, etc, and what happened to my bowel particularly. Hoping I'm not making more mistakes.

A.R

It wo
Still working on figuring it out. I have issues that are the underlying causes so working on that has been my focus. Haven't lost any of the teeth yet. Hoping things will get better. I found a dentist who I felt is more sane and cautious than the others I've found, and am trying to trust his judgement, which for now he said was to try and improve the condition of my decaying teeth, he said he didn't feel comfortable doing work on them yet in the state they were in. Money has been a problem in going to that office for cleaning etc though. I'm just trying to unravel the big mistakes I've made the last few years, etc, and what happened to my bowel particularly. Hoping I'm not making more mistakes.
uld be interesting to know what steps you have taken to repair your bowels, because I also have digestive issues

OP
J

jaakkima

Personally I'm finding the most helpful things to be caution and experimentation with diet, T3 (having problems with T4), some magnesium, covering all nutritional bases. OJ, B vitamins, enough protein... I'm not consuming dairy for now (I think lack of caution with it in the past may have put me in a bad situation) but plan to test it again. I was having to use cascara, but I'm just trying out pyrucet and it seems to be doing something better that may be at least greatly reducing my need for the cascara for whatever reason. A drug I had to take has been partly responsible for what's happened with me and being unable to make progress for so long. The one I'm on now is better, giving me breathing room to try to get other things to work at least somewhat. I've tried other things in the past but ultimately they weren't solutions.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals