The Law & Order Admin
Back on topic. :D

I sure wish teeth could regenerate. :mrgreen:

OP
Westside PUFAs
Charlie said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97659/ Back on topic. :D

I sure wish teeth could regenerate. :mrgreen:

Imagine this: Someone gets crowns on all 32 teeth. Then, decay would be almost eliminated. There still would be the risk of decay under the crowns but I think that is rare. An invasive, expensive process for sure, but it technically is a way to avoid decay. Of course just brushing and taking care of them in the first place is the best way but in the context of being decay proof if one wanted to worry less about brushing and drink more Mexicokes without having to rise right after, the all crown option seems like a solution. But yes, pretty crazy sounding, haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

HDD

Ray Peat - The metabolism of the tooth itself and the surrounding tissues, and the composition and quantity of the saliva are the most important factors in tooth health. I have known some people with perfect teeth who had grown up in cultures that didn't practice tooth-brushing. US dentistry is dominated by fetishism. It's good to be aware of the abrasive effects of toothpastes, and to remember how thin enamel is. Some foods, such as raw pineapple or acidic foods, are extremely corrosive to the teeth, and should be followed immediately by rinsing or eating foods with a cleaning and neutralizing effect. The alkaline pH of baking soda helps to free protein films from the teeth.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4565&p=55765&hilit=20+questions+with+ray+peat#p55765

Sea

This study found that a cereal free diet rich in vitamin D and calcium stopped cavities: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... 90/?page=4

It also looks like various frequencies or red light may also heal or completely regrow teeth. Ray peat has spoken about the effects of these things on healing other tissues. And, as HDD points out, increasing the quality of saliva which is done by maximizing thyroid function is also protective.

"Researchers at King's College London are developing a procedure that uses low frequency electrical currents to help teeth "self heal" lesions (sometimes referred to as cavities) without drilling.

The technology, called "electrically accelerated and enhanced remineralization," could put an end to fillings for early-stage lesions and moderate tooth decay. And eventually it could lead to new treatments for more advanced decay.

Sounds good, right? There's even better news: This technology could make it to dentists' offices within three years.

By the time a dentist looks at an X-ray and diagnoses a patient with a cavity, he or she is seeing a tooth after it has lost minerals in the enamel and has started to decay.

Teeth can repair themselves by replacing those minerals with ones found in saliva or fluoride through a natural “remineralization” process. Researchers have been trying to figure out how to enhance that process by making it faster and allowing it to work more deeply in the tooth." (http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-y ... ts-office/)

"The drill-and-fill approach to fixing cavities may eventually have new competition, thanks to Harvard University biomedical engineer David Mooney and National Institutes of Health assistant clinical investigator Praveen Arany. The pair, along with colleagues, reported in May that they had developed a new technique that stimulates the growth of dentin, the hardened tissue below tooth enamel, through the use of a simple, low-powered laser.

Arany drilled holes in the teeth of rats, shined a light similar to a laser pointer into the false cavities for five minutes, then capped them. Twelve weeks later, the dentin inside had grown back. By studying the same process in cultured cells, the scientists found that the light stimulated a molecular chain reaction that activated a normally dormant protein called TGF-beta 1. That protein, in turn, prompted nearby dental stem cells to differentiate into dentin-forming cells, which then differentiate into mature dentin. The protein also activates other kinds of stem cells, which means the method could be used to regenerate other tissues." (http://discovermagazine.com/2015/jan-fe ... ooth-decay)

And,

"Dentists could soon hang up their drills. A new peptide, embedded in a soft gel or a thin, flexible film and placed next to a cavity, encourages cells inside teeth to regenerate in about a month, according to a new study in the journal ACS Nano. This technology is the first of its kind.

The new gel or thin film could eliminate the need to fill painful cavities or drill deep into the root canal of an infected tooth.

"It's not like toothpaste," which prevent cavities, said Nadia Benkirane-Jessel, a scientist at the Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale and a co-author of a recent paper. "Here we are really trying to control cavities (after they develop)."" (http://news.discovery.com/tech/biotechn ... on-gel.htm)

Matt1951

Westside PUFAs said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97648/
Matt1951 said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97610/Humans did not have (substantial amounts of) cavities until they started eating grains.

Yes, because the Chinese' teeth have been falling out for millennia from white rice.

Matt1951 said:
I posit that eating wheat is the primary cause of cavities in America, not eating sugar.

Peat recommends to rinse your mouth after a coke.

Matt1951 said:
Go ahead, keep eating grains, and keep getting your teeth drilled.

Who actually eats grains though?

Amaranth
Barley
Buckwheat
Farro / Emmer
Kamut
Millet
Muesli
Quinoa
Rye
Sorghum
Spelt
Teff
Triticale

Everyone I know who has rotting teeth does not eat those grains.

sugar daddy said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97644/ Not quite sure what you don't understand here but teeth aren't bones just like livers aren't kidneys etc.

I'm not quite sure why you don't understand a lot of things too. ;)

You believing that K2 can do that doesn't mean it really does.

Evolution has left behind many pointless things. Wisdom teeth are pointless and often the cause of many problems in the jaw as is the appendix and many other body parts. It's called Human vestigiality:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_vestigiality

Just as one example:http://www.livescience.com/2011-truth-tooth-decay.html
When did the Chinese start eating polished rice did you say?
Among other errors you made, buckwheat is not a grain. Why did you make a list of grains that people you know don't eat? What was your point? If they only rot their teeth by eating wheat, what does it matter if they don't eat other grains?

tara

Nicholas

it's hard to describe but it makes my teeth feel very sterile and naked - stripped of plaque i guess, but they also feel more sensitive after i do the oil pulling, very dry. not sure if it's a bad thing.

tara

I had been speculating that the trouble with wisdom teeth is that sometimes people's jaws don't grow to their full size, which may be an issue related to malnutrition, CO2 deficiency, and/or reduced metabolism from other causes. Eg. there are studies by dentists relating childhood mouth breathing to narrow mouth and cramped teeth. There are other threads here discussing jaw size and nutrition.
Over most of our evolutionary prehistory, I think teeth were important not just because you don't want them to spread a lethal infection, but also because without strong teeth it was hard to get enough calories and protein to survive. So if you've lost a few over your fist 20-40 years, that extra 4 at the back might be really useful.

pboy

if grains are bad for teeth, its because they have a low calcium to phosphorus ratio...but then meat would be much worse, so if anything excessive meat is the culprit, aka modern America, also...meat is known to cause bone decay, excess meat...its simply cuz the theres almost no calcium and lotta phosphorus...grains might be bad if you chewed hard, or toasted versions too much ..the physical pressure and impact, but soft boiled refined grains probably aren't that bad at all

coke would be particularly bad because its has phosphoric acid which is highly acidic and corrosive, but a banana wouldn't be, its not the sugar content. Dried fruit can be harmful because, or like a spoon of honey, because the extreme osmotic concentration of non dilute sugar...it would excessively dry out the tooth and make it more prone to breaking...but its not actually leeching anything or corroding it, unless its a really acidic dried fruit, or a type of honey that's particularly acidic

the Japanese diet of rice, even white rice, and fish, with some eggs...would be bad for teeth and bones, I don't think they eat a ton of vegetables, but they've always eaten tofu and natto, tofu is made with gypsum calcium sulfate so it has a really high calcium to phosphate ratio, and natto is very high in vit K which helps offset, or protect, the calcium loss or bad disposition

Matt1951

pboy,

Foods have nutrients and they have anti-nutrients. Diseases of civilization came with grain farming. The problem with grains goes beyond a low calcium to phosphorus ratio. Weston Price found healthy people eating certain grains, so it seems that certain strains of certain grains would not be harmful.
Japan, as do most nations, suffers from diseases of civilization, so what causes these diseases? That ancient hunter gatherers did not suffer from?

Vita3

Matt1951 said:
I used to require a lot of dental work. For the last 10 years, I have only required cleaning. Nine years ago, the dentist said I had small cavities that needed attention. The same dentist, today, says I have no cavities. Humans did not have (substantial amounts of) cavities until they started eating grains. I posit that eating wheat is the primary cause of cavities in America, not eating sugar. Go ahead, keep eating grains, and keep getting your teeth drilled.

I know a few people, one man he is 36 years old, not even one cavity, he is a vegetarian his whole life, another two people, younger, both no cavity and also vegetarians whole life. They eat a lot grains. Hm...

Richiebogie

Weston Price would have disagreed with this topic heading:

"A first requisite for the control of tooth decay is to have provided an adequate intake of the body-building and repairing factors by the time the hunger appeal for energy has been satisfied. A sufficient variety of foods must be used to supply the body's demand for those elements which it needs in large quantities, that is, calcium and phosphorus, and the other elements which it needs in smaller quantities, though just as imperatively. One of the serious human deficiencies is the inability to synthesize certain of the activators which include the known vitamins. This makes necessary the reinforcement of the nutrition with definite amounts of special foods to supply these organic catalysts, especially the fat-soluble activators, including the known vitamins, which are particularly difficult to provide in adequate quantities. I have shown that the primitive races studied were dependent upon one of three sources for some of these fat-soluble factors, namely, sea foods, organs of animals or dairy products. These are all of animal origin. I have indicated in Chapter 16 the nutritional programs that have proved in clinical testing adequate for providing the body with nutrition that will not only prevent tooth decay, but check it when it is active. The stress periods of life, namely, active growth in children and motherhood, do not constitute overloads among most of the primitive races because the factor of safety provided by them in the selection of foods is sufficiently high to protect them against all stresses. I have indicated the type of nutrition that is especially needed for these stress periods in our modern civilization. Also, that it is not necessary to adopt the foods of any particular racial stock, but only to make our nutrition adequate in all its nutritive factors to the primitive nutritions. Tooth decay is not only unnecessary, but an indication of our divergence from Nature's fundamental laws of life and health. (See Chapter 16 for primitive menus.) The responsibility of our modern processed foods of commerce as contributing factors in the cause of tooth decay is strikingly demonstrated by the rapid development of tooth decay among the growing children on the Pacific Islands during the time trader ships made calls for dried copra when its price was high for several months. This was paid for in 90 per cent white flour and refined sugar and not over 10 per cent in cloth and clothing. When the price of copra reduced from $400 a ton to $4 a ton, the trader ships stopped calling and tooth decay stopped when the people went back to their native diet. I saw many such individuals with teeth with open cavities in which the tooth decay had ceased to be active."

barefooter

Mouth breathing was mentioned above in relation to pallet development and teeth crowding, but not it's impact on cavities. Mouth breathing is very drying to the mouth, which causes there to be too little saliva and teeth become more susceptible to cavities. I've been a mouth breather my entire life, and it seems that even when my diet is good I still get cavities, and I'm thinking this is the likely culprit.

I've been trying to switch to full time nose breathing the last couple years, but it's been slow progress after 30 years of habit. Also, I believe my jaw bone and muscles have developed in relation to having my mouth open all the time, which actually can make it feel awkward to have my mouth shut.

Hugh Johnson

tara said:
post 97760 I had been speculating that the trouble with wisdom teeth is that sometimes people's jaws don't grow to their full size, which may be an issue related to malnutrition, CO2 deficiency, and/or reduced metabolism from other causes. Eg. there are studies by dentists relating childhood mouth breathing to narrow mouth and cramped teeth. There are other threads here discussing jaw size and nutrition.
Over most of our evolutionary prehistory, I think teeth were important not just because you don't want them to spread a lethal infection, but also because without strong teeth it was hard to get enough calories and protein to survive. So if you've lost a few over your fist 20-40 years, that extra 4 at the back might be really useful.
Check out Mike Mew on the jaw and wisdom tooth issue.

D

Derek

ThunderSpank said:
post 110740 http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2 ... decay.html

When I was 14 I had 8 cavities in my mouth and didn't have any drilled, I'm 25 now and my teeth are better than ever. I use to have chronic pain, and sensitively, haven't had that in years. I DONT have xrays to prove they are gone, but my mouth has no pain and my teeth feel like granite.

How did you remineralize your teeth? Did you follow the Mellanby's diet you posted?

ThunderSpank

Derek said:
post 110763
ThunderSpank said:
post 110740 http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2 ... decay.html

When I was 14 I had 8 cavities in my mouth and didn't have any drilled, I'm 25 now and my teeth are better than ever. I use to have chronic pain, and sensitively, haven't had that in years. I DONT have xrays to prove they are gone, but my mouth has no pain and my teeth feel like granite.

How did you remineralize your teeth? Did you follow the Mellanby's diet you posted?
I can't say for certain my teeth are remineralized because I have no proof, but like I said my teeth feel noticeably harder, no pain, no sensitively and no visible cavities. My diet consists of low-fat milk, orange juice, liver, sugar, carrot or bamboo shoots, coconut oil, and some supplements. I get close to 5000 mg of calcium a day with much lower phosphate, virtually no phytic acid, lots of red light.. I'm probably forgetting things but that's all I remember right now.

EndAllDisease

Thanks Josh for the thread!
I learned a great deal and found all of your responses valuable.

(As a side note, I could be wrong about this, but I find it weird that everybody assumes humans evolved from monkeys. I've seen no evidence of this, and lots of fraud along the way; for example, numerous attempts to fill in the gap of transitional fossils that were proven hoaxes. At any rate, you're entitled to your own opinion and I'd like to state that was not an invitation to fight, and to please not reply to this off-topic comment because there will be no response.)

Anyway, I am REALLY interested in the regeneration of enamel because after 30 years of mostly unconscious eating and experimenting with veganism, no-carb and other damaging diets, I'm noticing some recent erosion. Here's a bit of research I just did on the subject and my findings:
-------------------------------------------------------
The Quest for Enamel Regeneration

While some people are calling re-building tooth enamel impossible, others, like scientists from the University of Southern California, are saying watch us do it! They seem to have made some great progress, in 2016 in particular. Furthermore, I've provided an italian study for further evidence of enamel restoration.
  • Italian researchers conducted a study in 2014 that tested toothpaste with added "Zn-carbonate hydroxyapatite (CHA) nanostructured microcrystals" to see if it can remineralize/repair the enamel surface of teeth in humans. The study reports, "In this study, the use of a Zn-CHA nanocrystals toothpaste led to a remineralization/repair of the enamel surface, by deposition of a hydroxyapatite-rich coating."
    Remineralization and repair of enamel surface by biomimetic Zn-carbonate hydroxyapatite containing toothpaste: a comparative in vivo study
  • The first step in discovering how to regrow enamel is to discern how the body forms enamel in the first place, so conditions can be replicated so it occurs on demand. A study from January 2016 by researchers at the University of Southern California discovered that "matrix metalloproteinase-20, an enzyme found only in teeth, chops up amelogenin proteins, which facilitate organized enamel crystal formation... Together with other enzymes, it gets rid of ‘sludge’ so the enamel making cells in the body can add more mineral and make enamel, the hardest bioceramic in the human body.”
    Matrix metalloproteinase-20 mediates dental enamel biomineralization by preventing protein occlusion inside apatite crystals. - PubMed - NCBI
  • In February 2016, the team tested LRAP-chitosan hydrogel for its ability to form new enamel and found, "The demineralized tooth slices treated with a single application of LRAP–chitosan hydrogel for 3 days showed a dense mineralized layer consisting of highly organized enamel-like apatite crystals. Focus-ion beam technique showed a seamless growth at the interface between the repaired layer and native enamel. There was a marked improvement in the surface hardness after treatment of the demineralized sample with almost 87% recovery of the hardness value to that of sound enamel sections."
    Repairing human tooth enamel with leucine-rich amelogenin peptide–chitosan hydrogel
  • In March 2016, the team published a pre-clinical trial study that tested a hydrogel product they call CS-AMEL. The study addressed two different models of enamel defects, erosion and caries and, "After pH cycling and treatment with CS-AMEL hydrogel, a synthetic layer composed of oriented apatite crystals was formed on the eroded enamel surface. CS-AMEL repaired the artificial incipient caries by re-growing oriented crystals and reducing the depth of the lesions by up to 70% in the pH-cycling systems. The results clearly demonstrate that the CS-AMEL hydrogel is effective at the restoration of erosive and carious lesions under pH-cycling conditions."
    Efficacy of amelogenin-chitosan hydrogel in biomimetic repair of human enamel in pH-cycling systems
There may be more studies out there from them since these ones with new developments that I didn't find, but at the moment I think showing evidence that rebuilding tooth enamel CAN BE DONE is the most important.
I hope you guys find this useful.
Best regards,
EndAllDisease.com

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals