Foods rich in sodium butyrate?

Coderr

Sodium butyrate supplements are quite expensive in my country. How can I get more sodium butyrate into my body without supplements? What foods should I eat?

DrJ

Sodium butyrate supplements are quite expensive in my country. How can I get more sodium butyrate into my body without supplements? What foods should I eat?

If you eat fiber such as from fruits and vegetables, your intestinal bacteria will create butyric acid right at the site where it is needed: the lining of your intestine.

Abundant Life

Just eat basic baked potatoes that are super rich in resistant starch. The resistant starch will naturally increase butyrate levels. White potatoes are super cheap and will provide a lot more than a butyrate supplement.

How potatoes promote weight loss

This super-affordable and easily accessible food helps us feel full and satisfied, which helps speed weight loss, and the skins are a rich source of dietary fiber that aids in digestion. But that's not all. Gastroenterologist William Bulsiewicz, MD, author of Fiber Fueled, says, “White potatoes are an excellent source of resistant starch.He's talking about a special type of fiber that “resists” being digested until after it passes through the small intestine, a move known to increase fat burning and weight loss for 24 hours post-meal.

The fact that resistant starch flows through the small intestine without modification has a huge impact on your microbiome, or the healthy bacteria living in your digestive tract. When resistant starch enters the large intestine, it's fermented by your gut microbes into short-chain fatty acids, like acetate, butyrate, and propionate that support gut and microbiome wellbeing. Butyrate, in particular, has been shown to have a positive effect on the gut by dialing down inflammation and helping to prevent colon cancer. Additionally, butyrate impacts all-body processes, helping to reduce LDL cholesterol levels and improve insulin function. Insulin, of course, plays a critical role in metabolism and weight loss.
Source: Despite Their Reputation, Potatoes Can Help Speed Weight Loss, Say Doctors — Here's How

EdwardJamesDean

Forum Supporter
The best way to optimize your gut microbiome to produce butyrate is to eat a high-fiber diet, that includes sufficient sources of resistant starch and pectin. This means eating a diet rich in plant-based foods such as whole grains, vegetables, fruits, nuts/seeds and legumes. Clostridium butyricum is a natural resident of the human GI tract. It is one of the many bacteria in the gut that ferments dietary fiber and produces the beneficial short-chain fatty acid butyrate. Psyllium husk also feeds the butyrate producing bacteria in the gut. Faecalibacterium Prausnitzii (produces butyrate): A study has shown that consuming kiwifruit capsules might be able to increases Faecalibacterium prausnitzii abundance in the gut. The number one thing to do to increase F. prausnitzii is to increase fiber intake. Variety is very important. Polyphenols benefit this beneficial bacteria. Capsaicin (Cayenne) feeds Faecalibacterium Prausnitzii as well.

EdwardJamesDean

Forum Supporter
Just eat basic baked potatoes that are super rich in resistant starch. The resistant starch will naturally increase butyrate levels. White potatoes are super cheap and will provide a lot more than a butyrate supplement.

Source: Despite Their Reputation, Potatoes Can Help Speed Weight Loss, Say Doctors — Here's How
To allow potatoes to become a resistant starch, you must cook then cool your potatoes. A great option is to make a potato salad today and eat some for the next few days. Unripe bananas and plantains also contain resistant starch.

OP
C

Coderr

To allow potatoes to become a resistant starch, you must cook then cool your potatoes. A great option is to make a potato salad today and eat some for the next few days. Unripe bananas and plantains also contain resistant starch.
Will reheating cause a problem?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals