Eliminate The Positive. It's Making Us Ill

denise

A therapeutic technique that's supposed to help you let go of negative emotions/patterns/conditioning. It involves tapping acupressure points or strategic places on the body while saying or thinking certain things to help let go. An overview here:

Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) - Emotional Health

It drove me effing crazy, almost as much as the crap I was trying to help by using it. But people seem to find it effective. I guess I'm an outlier.

Or, now that I think about it, maybe it stirred up more energy than I was ready for at the time. I do believe with these subtle energy techniques you have to have a certain reservoir of energy available for them to be optimally and noticeably effective. When I tried EFT I was in the The Pit. Slough of Despond. No drive, no will, no wish except to lay down and sleep and never wake up. For the most part I hated everything and everybody except my dogs and cats. I have a pretty deep misanthropic streak. It was years ago. But when I started with tuning forks a couple months ago I was already well on the road to recovery due to all the physiological therapeutics I'd applied over the last three years. Then the forks seemed to tap into the available energy, order it in a beneficial manner, and kick my recovery into overdrive. Mostly by altering my psychological outlook startlingly, remarkably, and consistently for the better.
When I first tried EFT I was in a similar state as you (the world as I had known it had just ended, and I was in a pit of despair), and it worked like magic. Even just following along to a few generic videos on YouTube caused deep relaxation, and after just a couple sessions with a practitioner, I was like a new woman. It's interesting how certain therapies will or won't work for certain people at certain times, for no obvious reason.

sladerunner69

This theory seems much more relevant to asian cultures, like korea, where the theorist is from. I believe plenty of negativity exists in capatalist societies, and he is right, negativity is essential because it motivates and grounds us, connecting us to truth and reality, but giving us the sight to move foward in pusuit of our ambitions.

whodathunkit

Thought the OP and others contributing to this thread like @goodandevil might find this interesting:

Why it pays to be grumpy and bad-tempered
This is some reporter looking for an angle to a clickbait story. I know from hard experience that unless you're in a profession like acting or maybe construction, the world generally does not find moodiness and grumpiness amusing or a particularly valuable trait...at least when they themselves are on the receiving end. If anyone else is receiving it can be amusing. But when the misanthrope turns on you...not so much. I can pretty much guarantee you it's not an appreciated trait in the PC-correct Beeb newsroom.

For the last 30 years misanthropic moodiness unintentionally became my "hobby", and it definitely doesn't pay off in today's uber-sensitve, PC office culture. Unless, of course, people see a temporary use for it (like when a PITA needs to be told where to get off, and you're the only one with the temperament or guts enough to do it), and then everyone's your friend. But after that, you're relegated to the curb again.

Personally, I'd rather work with a competent, reliable arsehole who tells people to bugger off when they need it than an incompetent, unreliable "nice" person, but most of the world doesn't feel that way anymore.

I know this might seem like it contradicts the warm, fuzzy tone of my previous posts in this thread, but it really doesn't. Having hope and deliberately trying to see the good in life has absolutely nothing to do with saying "sod off!" to someone who desperately deserves it. :D

Last edited:
L

lollipop

This is some reporter looking for an angle to a clickbait story. I know from hard experience that unless you're in a profession like acting or maybe construction, the world generally does not find moodiness and grumpiness amusing or a particularly valuable trait...at least when they themselves are on the receiving end. If anyone else is receiving it can be amusing. But when the misanthrope turns on you...not so much. I can pretty much guarantee you it's not an appreciated trait in the PC-correct Beeb newsroom.

For the last 30 years misanthropic moodiness unintentionally became my "hobby", and it definitely doesn't pay off in today's uber-sensitve, PC office culture. Unless, of course, people see a temporary use for it (like when a PITA needs to be told where to get off, and you're the only one with the temperament or guts enough to do it), and then everyone's your friend. But after that, you're relegated to the curb again.

Personally, I'd rather work with a competent arsehole who tells people to bugger off when they need it than an incompetent "nice" person, but most of the world doesn't feel that way anymore.

I know this might seem like it contradicts the warm, fuzzy tone of my previous posts in this thread, but it really doesn't. Having hope and deliberately trying to see the good in life has absolutely nothing to do with saying "sod off!" to someone who desperately deserves it. :D
Makes sense @whodathunkit. I also think as a species anger is a language we all understand. It will be interesting to watch the future develop and how it will play out.

whodathunkit

Makes sense @whodathunkit. I also think as a species anger is a language we all understand. It will be interesting to watch the future develop and how it will play out.
Yeah, it will.

Since we're on the subject, I'll opine that what's more disturbing to me, and which kind of also like gets back around to the spirit of the OP like you were trying to do, is that many passive-aggressive incompetents who seem to mindlessly promote "the positive" and warm, fluffy, PC culture are just as angry and bullying as any misanthrope I ever met...except they don't own it. At least a good misanthrope will tell you "Yeah, I know I'm an arse. What are you going to do about it? Now step off!!" whereas the passive/aggressive PC bullies revel in their own pernicious victimhood and never own any of their negativity, while manipulatively bulldozing everything in their path, in a way you can't fight on any rational, logical grounds.

whodathunkit

YES! And how to change it :) Powerful stuff. Seems we do have some control over it...
We do! It's funny because I've been doing "neuroplastic" type exercises and therapeutics deliberately for a long time (sporadically, except for last couple years which has been in the main consistently sustained effort) but didn't know it was called as such.

IMO deliberate "hope" definitely being a neuroplastic therapeutic. :)

Last edited:
L

lollipop

We do! It's funny because I've been doing "neuroplastic" type exercises and therapeutics deliberately for a long time (sporadically, except for last couple years which has been in the main consistently sustained effort) but didn't know it was called as such.

IMO "hope" definitely being a neuroplastic therapeutic. :)
Nice @whodathunkit! Back to what you stated earlier, listening to that inner knowing :):

whodathunkit

Nice @whodathunkit! Back to what you stated earlier, listening to that inner knowing :)
:)

BTW, thought about it and changed the wording a bit. "Deliberate hope" (instead of just "hope") being a neuroplastic therapeutic.

Deliberate hope being the diametric opposite of passive, knee-jerk pessimism, or even the wishful, overexuberant "positivity".

L

lollipop

:)

BTW, thought about it and changed the wording a bit. "Deliberate hope" (instead of just "hope") being a neuroplastic therapeutic.

Deliberate hope being the diametric opposite of passive, knee-jerk pessimism, or even the wishful, overexuberant "positivity".
Great distinction. Also like the article spoke about - deliberate use of anger to serve you as opposed to suppressing it and having it come out sideways as arrows directed towards everyone around you.

amethyst

Personally, I'd rather work with a competent, reliable arsehole who tells people to bugger off when they need it than an incompetent, unreliable "nice" person, but most of the world doesn't feel that way anymore.

Well, no one goes thru life smiling all.the.time. Actually, I am quite suspicious of people who always "on", fake smiling, perpetually blissful and professing to never have any problems. Like that's why I hate nighttime TV chat shows. They are SO fake. But they put on this pseudo "hey, hey" all the time to keep it entertaining. A lot of people pretend to others and themselves. Self delusion. I can't handle my problems so I pretend they aren't there. But eventually, their problems come out with various coping mechanisms which people develop like drinking or drug problems. Instead of just dealing with the issues. But being grumpy sometimes is not a bad thing. Now being an **shole all the time is another story. That person has issues too. If someone is having a bad day, they shouldn't lie about it. Doesn't mean you have to tell everyone how miserable you are. But also you shouldn't "fake" smile and say everything is just sunshine and roses when it isn't. If others can't handle that you are not in a good mood, that's their own problem. Who wants to hang around with those who live in perpetual denial all the time?

amethyst

Thought the OP and others contributing to this thread like @goodandevil might find this interesting:

Why it pays to be grumpy and bad-tempered
Why I think it "pays" to be grumpy and bad tempered sometimes, is you are not lying to yourself. Or "stuffing" your emotions which leads to all sorts of health issues eventually. Doesn't mean that you vomit emotionally all over others. But still, there are ways to be honest without being abusive to others at the same time. I do know tho, that a lot of people really cannot handle real truth or honesty. Cuz a lot of times its blunt. They want to be coddled and have shoulders rubbed and their ears tickled instead of hearing the truth when it's necessary.

Queequeg

There is a fine line between being blunt and emotional vomit.

x-ray peat

There is a fine line between being blunt and emotional vomit.

Completely agree... and in my experience, every emotional vomiter thinks that they are just being honest or just being blunt. They usually would be very surprised as how others perceive them. The truth doesn't have to be blunt or abusive and I find it to be more effective when its not. It's all in the manner of its delivery.

smith

I wonder if Love and Light culture was a ruse to create the empowerment culture where any real victims of trauma are blamed for being victims and overly emotional, sort of like how prohibition was a ruse to create mass alcoholism

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals