Eliminate The Positive. It's Making Us Ill

Makrosky

http://www.markvernon.com/friendshi...25/Eliminate-the-positive.-It-s-making-us-ill.

We live in a dictatorship of positivity. "Yes we can," is the dogma of the age not just the exhausting creed of politicians. You and I must be happy and succeed in all our projects. Business success means maximal production. Kids are washed in affirmation and make entrepreneurs of themselves. We enjoy only amazing holidays, watch simply brilliant films, and generally talk in an excited lexicon flooded by superlatives. And it's making us ill.

This is the conclusion of the Korean-German philosopher, Byung-Chul Han. His essay, The Burnout Society, has recently been published, giving us his work in English for the first time. He describes how a lack of negativity in life leads to hyperactivity followed by burnout. Because no-one can say no - to the boss, to the mobile, to the inner child, to the electorate - we become trapped in cycles of over-productivity, over-communication, and over-achieving. And, of course, no-one can live at this pitch. The upshot is an epidemic of depression and anxiety. "The complaint of the depressive individual, Nothing is possible, is only possible in a society that believes, Nothing is impossible," Han writes.

Worse, our very psyches are overwritten with this code. It's not actually our bosses or politicians who are exploiting us. We are self-exploiting, running the incessant command to achieve. Distractions and deadlines, amusements and multitasking have become a way of life. Earlier this year, Microsoft discovered that the average attention span has dropped to less than that of a goldfish. Microsoft needs to know because if it doesn't deliver the speeding interface consumers crave, its opponents will.

The paradox of positivity is that it wrecks. "It is an illusion to believe that the more active one becomes, the freer one is." Hyper-attention empties. When everything must be exceptional, the good feels naked. We're left nervous, like a creature hunted on the savannah with nowhere to rest - only the threat is not out there, it's internalized. Hence, panic spontaneously erupts when your phone crashes. Anger kicks out when the driver in front of you is fractionally slow at the lights. The midlife crisis is no longer midlife but is first experienced in your teens, then in your twenties, thirties, forties. "Depression is the sickness of a society that suffers from excessive positivity," Han continues. And creation fatigue. Think of the blockbuster films released this Christmas. Star Wars was new 40 years ago; James Bond 60 years ago.

So what does Han counsel? In a word, contemplation or "profound idleness". It's the rediscovery of negativity, the active capacity to turn from this and that, and focus only on the other. For many of us hyper-achievers, this possibility will only emerge after a breakdown. The crash is a gift: no longer able to produce, exhausted by our own ability, we will be forced to say no and, if we are lucky, will realise that it's liberating.

We may go further and learn to see, be mindful. Deep attention may follow after that. And the freshness of life might return. As Nietzsche observed, thinking and culture require "getting your eyes used to calm, to patience, to letting things come to you." It requires unlearning the immediate reactivity to the next stimulus and instead taking control of the "inhibiting, excluding instincts." Gradually, ruminative crowding lessens. Irritable abreactions can be contained. You pause.

Sabbath originally meant "stopping". It's a day not to. It's an interval in which uselessness is celebrated. So this week, dare to exclude yourself, to be negative, to be glad of the fatigue that makes you want to curl up. This supposed social disaster is actually a moment of hope. Look, and you'll see it contains the inspiration to not-to-do. Nothing could be your salvation.

lvysaur

The irony is that the piece denounces "excited language" and "superlatives", while using said language to convey its point.

I also wouldn't characterize our generation as "over achievers".

I agree with the overall point about overstimulation and attention span. "Mental junk food" tends to be the natural endpoint of internet usage, unless one takes conscious steps to avoid it.

OP
Makrosky

Makrosky

I'm glad you read it :):

What about you? When you feel tired or with general unwillingness to be "productive"...do you run to find something to get you out of that state?

I do.

goodandevil

OMG I'm so sick of positivity, such slave bull****. Everytime I see a positively-in-denial person I just want to say something negative to them. Who thinks denying the truth makes you a better person? Those adapting to a sick system. Slaves. **** that. So sick of positivity I could vomit. Two thumbs up.
155076379.jpg

goodandevil

People should have a purpose for complaining, every else is bull****. that's what twists people up.

goodandevil

Explain us your thoughts. I don't get what you're saying man!

Well for me it's like, you don't want to compain all the time about little ***t, that's annoying, but I think people are tricked into seeing that works, and is appropiate socially, and they extrapolate that to the mkre important issues. like there's all kinds of ************* out there who should be shocked into thinking more deeply and should be spurred to look for more satisfying answers concerning the great questions, the big things. I think people are lulled into positivity because it helps them worry about themselves, keep their mouth shut over little ***t, but taken to an extreme they become inhuman. So now TV and alex jones are the only people that get worked up about things, or femininsts, menininsts, etc. U dig?

raypeatclips

The beginning of the piece talks about eliminating being positive, but by the end it seems to be talking about over-stimulation and the inability to be away from technology, and the two points being mixed, but they are very different.

I agree with the technology point, but the eliminating being positive seems like some of the worst advice I can think of. It's like the stupid health advice, "If it tastes good, spit it out." Positivity is a wonderful thing. The people at work who are entirely negative are horrible to be around, make my skin crawl and stress increase. The positive ones are a delight, happy and smiling, yes sometimes they get annoyed and complain, but that is normal, and balanced. Often their complaints are humourous, and different to the people that are "entirely negative." I think the article is a weak piece that seems to suggest dumb advice but never states the case for why.

amethyst

I can sum up what the article is basically saying. I think the title misses the mark.It's not positivity that is killing us. It is collective denial about the reality of how things really are that is killing us. Our society perpetuates UNreality, and lies. It actually thrives on it. Our mass media, in all forms, is one big lie and in order to play the game ...ie "be accepted" in this fraudulent system, we must learn to lie and lie well. Most people can't handle the truth. Most people want others to lie to them. It is an accepted thing, though not admirable. That is the crux of the issue IMO.

It's usually the truthtellers who end up getting maligned because they don't perpetuate the false. There's risk involved in telling the truth. Most don't want to take that risk, as there are usually reprecussions. No one wants to be looked at as the bad guy. But if you buck the system, there are consequences. Don't question authority. Believe your leaders. Trust your doctors....they know what's best for you. Never break out of the box that has been created for you. Accept your slavery. And in doing so, you slowly kill the core essence of who you are as an individual and die a nice, acceptable and tidy death, never advancing in your spiritual development and perfection, or expanding to your full potential as a unique individual God created being.

goodandevil

I can sum up what the article is basically saying. I think the title misses the mark.It's not positivity that is killing us. It is collective denial about the reality of how things really are that is killing us. Our society perpetuates UNreality, and lies. It actually thrives on it. Our mass media, in all forms, is one big lie and in order to play the game ...ie "be accepted" in this fraudulent system, we must learn to lie and lie well. Most people can't handle the truth. Most people want others to lie to them. It is an accepted thing, though not admirable. That is the crux of the issue IMO.

It's usually the truthtellers who end up getting maligned because they don't perpetuate the false. There's risk involved in telling the truth. Most don't want to take that risk, as there are usually reprecussions. No one wants to be looked at as the bad guy. But if you buck the system, there are consequences. Don't question authority. Believe your leaders. Trust your doctors....they know what's best for you. Never break out of the box that has been created for you. Accept your slavery. And in doing so, you slowly kill the core essence of who you are as an individual and die a nice, acceptable and tidy death, never advancing in your spiritual development and perfection, or expanding to your full potential as a unique individual God created being.
****** A'

Queequeg

What I think is confusing about the article is that like @raypeatsclips alludes to, he is using the word positive in two confusing ways. 1) positive in that everything has to be wonderful and 2) positive as in positively accepting everything that is asked of you. I think the point he is trying to make is that it is the combination of these two “positives” that is driving everyone a bit loopy.

I think @amythyst brilliantly lays out how being continually positive in spite of the evidence to the contrary can be very damaging and even more damaging to those who don't see things as such. We have all taken the red pill to some extent so we instinctively know how tough it is to lay down the truth on someone who doesn't want to see it. But I think the article is saying that these Pollyannas are hurting themselves even more. Since they only see "positive" they can’t accept anything that isn’t perfect. They are forced to try to make everything in their lives perfect and of course can’t possibly do this and are constantly at war with themselves and the world around them. It is this cognitive dissonance between what they believe, and what really is, that is very damaging.

The other aspect of "positive" the article addresses is just as troubling. By "positively" accepting every task or opportunity presented to us, we end up on a never ending hamster wheel with no end in sight. Of course by itself, this is very damaging. The fact that we also require that everything we do must be perfect as well, really messes us up and we end up failing at both.

So I think the article is saying that it is the combination of both perfectionism and hyper-activity that leads to the eventual burnout and crash. The sloppy use of the word positive was definitely confusing. IMHO you don't need "profound idleness" or to have a meltdown to solve this problem; you just need to learn how to say no ( f' that) and how to say good enough (f' this).

Regina

What I think is confusing about the article is that like @raypeatsclips alludes to, he is using the word positive in two confusing ways. 1) positive in that everything has to be wonderful and 2) positive as in positively accepting everything that is asked of you. I think the point he is trying to make is that it is the combination of these two “positives” that is driving everyone a bit loopy.

I think @amythyst brilliantly lays out how being continually positive in spite of the evidence to the contrary can be very damaging and even more damaging to those who don't see things as such. We have all taken the red pill to some extent so we instinctively know how tough it is to lay down the truth on someone who doesn't want to see it. But I think the article is saying that these Pollyannas are hurting themselves even more. Since they only see "positive" they can’t accept anything that isn’t perfect. They are forced to try to make everything in their lives perfect and of course can’t possibly do this and are constantly at war with themselves and the world around them. It is this cognitive dissonance between what they believe, and what really is, that is very damaging.

The other aspect of "positive" the article addresses is just as troubling. By "positively" accepting every task or opportunity presented to us, we end up on a never ending hamster wheel with no end in sight. Of course by itself, this is very damaging. The fact that we also require that everything we do must be perfect as well, really messes us up and we end up failing at both.

So I think the article is saying that it is the combination of both perfectionism and hyper-activity that leads to the eventual burnout and crash. The sloppy use of the word positive was definitely confusing. IMHO you don't need "profound idleness" or to have a meltdown to solve this problem; you just need to learn how to say no ( f' that) and how to say good enough (f' this).
:clapping: (and amethyst too)

lvysaur

What about you? When you feel tired or with general unwillingness to be "productive"...do you run to find something to get you out of that state?

Yeah, I usually have a small snack, or close some distracting internet tabs, or some other form of conscious control.

people are lulled into positivity because it helps them worry about themselves, keep their mouth shut over little ***t, but taken to an extreme they become inhuman. So now TV and alex jones are the only people that get worked up about things, or femininsts, menininsts, etc.

I don't agree with this. I think positivity in one's personal life is what makes life worth living. Of course, the positivity must come from inside, and not outside. (IE: be thankful for what you have, and enjoy your present state, and be outcome-independent of the things you're working towards. In other words, plan for the future but live in the moment.)

Negativity is required for social change, but experiencing excess negativity is harmful to the individual. I don't think it's healthy to be an "internet" feminist, or a meninist, or a raving conspiracy theorist, or a die-hard supporter of any political party. This is not a value judgement on having beliefs, but a value judgement on investing an inappropriate amount of one's life satisfaction in things that are largely outside of their control.

It is collective denial about the reality of how things really are that is killing us. Our society perpetuates UNreality, and lies. It actually thrives on it. Our mass media, in all forms, is one big lie and in order to play the game ...ie "be accepted" in this fraudulent system, we must learn to lie and lie well. Most people can't handle the truth. Most people want others to lie to them.

I don't fully agree with this, and to some extent, I think that some of our social ills stem from being a little too cognizant of reality.

"Denying reality" has been the MO of certain sectors of human society for a while now, from shamans faking medicine for placebo, to the last 103 years of nothing-backed currency, and everything in between.

There are very many "true" things that almost everybody chooses to deny, or at least ignore, for the sake of their own egos and happiness. This is because we all prefer "primitive" happiness with a lack of truth, to sadness or emotionlessness with an abundance of truth.

I agree a bit more with your second paragraph, meaning that there are instances where reality denial is bad on an individual level. This very forum is a great example of this.

The best way to sum up my position is that reality ignorance is bad if and only if reality cognizance would lead to improvements in quality of life, or the avoidance of a drop in quality of life. Else, the ignorance of reality is either good, or inconsequential.

Examples:

Doctors tell you PUFA is good, you learn the reality that PUFA is bad. You stop taking PUFA, life improves. Acknowledging reality was good.

Close family member dies, you get sad. You think about this aspect of reality a lot, you get sadder. The reality should have been ignored more.

Sociologists prove that some unchangeable trait that you possess is seen in a negative light. You acknowledge this reality a lot, and grow sad. The reality should have been ignored more.

Last edited:

goodandevil

I don't agree with this. I think positivity in one's personal life is what makes life worth living. Of course, the positivity must come from inside, and not outside. (IE: be thankful for what you have, and enjoy your present state, and be outcome-independent of the things you're working towards. In other words, plan for the future but live in the moment.)

Were we, and all creatures, given by our creator a full range of emotions? Then to restrict ourselves to a certain subset is attain a fraction of our power. To you, positivity may be the metric of a life well-lived, but to me it's truth. You can't have truth and positvity, some truth is pleasant, some truth his not, but the meaning of life is changing what you don't like. You can't change what you don't accept. Speaking personally, I don't like people that are too positive. What humans seek is validation of themselves: if you're inordinately positive, you seek those kinds of people, whereas if you're inordinately negative, viz. not fitting to the facts of each situation, well then you seek out negative people. If you are true, you seek out true people. But there's nothing inherent in each type of person that's universally attractive. I feel the true person is the best for society because they can handle things as they are and intuitively know what changes need to be made and how.

Last edited by a moderator:

Integra

I'm in one of those cultures that runs on achievement and self-negating narcissism as a yardstick for basic worth, so I also get stuck in the "do-do-do-done-ah-***t-do-do-do" pattern, but since I'm not a native to it I'll be throwing in the towel approximately every 2.5 weeks, when I DEMAND a ******* Sabbath or what-have-you, a day where I can just sit down and do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Grammar requires I have a 'do' in that sentence, but I don't want to do even that :android: YEAAAHHH THIS FELT GOOD

--and it also feels good reading a piece that confirms that it's not madness when you need to feel your shitty feelings, and maybe need to chew on your bad days, alone.

Thanks @Makrosky

OP
Makrosky

Makrosky

I'm in one of those cultures that runs on achievement and self-negating narcissism as a yardstick for basic worth, so I also get stuck in the "do-do-do-done-ah-***t-do-do-do" pattern, but since I'm not a native to it I'll be throwing in the towel approximately every 2.5 weeks, when I DEMAND a ******* Sabbath or what-have-you, a day where I can just sit down and do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Grammar requires I have a 'do' in that sentence, but I don't want to do even that :android: YEAAAHHH THIS FELT GOOD

--and it also feels good reading a piece that confirms that it's not madness when you need to feel your shitty feelings, and maybe need to chew on your bad days, alone.

Thanks @Makrosky
Integra,

You are a very bad society member. A lazy person. What you should do is write a book about not wanting to do nothing and sell it over the internet on your sabbath days.

;-)

whodathunkit

Beware: upcoming tl;dr.

Anyway: what I see is that optimisim and hope are the two timeless human concepts lumped together and then contorted to make up the current concept sometimes annoying, narcissistic concept of "positivity" embodied by Al Frankens' SNL character of Stuart Smalley.

:lol: :lol:

One thing I've discovered and that I'm currently experiencing in a BIG way is that when there is any energy dearth at all, and/or when very disordered energy is present (within the individual or the individual's immediate environement), optimism and hope become much harder, if not impossible, to experience...let alone maintain as a persistent outlook. The bigger the energy deficit and/or the more chaotic the energy, the harder it becomes to maintain optimism and hope. If the deficit or chaos is intense enough, it becomes almost impossible. Around here we sometimes call this "serotonin brain", but that's often an oversimplification for a lot of folks, even if it's a valid observation. There's more than body chemistry involved or just a change in diet involved. But the energy deficit and disorder can be brought on by a variety of things both physically pathological (poor nutrition, viruses, funguses, bacteria, etc.) and energically subtle (home environment, work environment, early childhood emotional conditioning, etc.)

Overcoming the energy deficit and disordered energy can take a long time, and a lot of trial and error. Most of the same kinds of therapeutic measures can work for everyone, but arriving at the right combination of techniques can be difficult. For example, to address poor nutrition some folks only need to address diet, while others also need supplements. And some need different supplements than others. Some may need abx to address bacteria, while others may do well with less intense measures like flowers of sulphur. To address energy disorder some may need to declutter and/or clean the home and work environment (desk or office) before trying internal technques. Some may do well starting with or only using an "internal" technique like chakra meditation, affirmation, visualization, or CBT, while others may need exogenous subtle energy aids like bells or tuning forks. Some people may do well using only physical recovery techniques, and some may need only the subtle energy techniques. Etc.

Because recovering from energy deficit can be so complex it's much easier for the really hard cases to give up and live with and embrace negativity, unless they reach the point of realizing the only alternative to the status quo is death. You either change or you die. Death can mean dying a little more sadly each day, or it can be all at once by giving in to suicidal tendencies. I say this because I teetered on that edge for over a decade. It's only recently that I've been able to pull back, then walk, then run away from it. In the past I've been a VERY hard case.

Recovering from energy deficit and chaos DOES NOT MEAN SUBLIMINATING OR NEVER EXPERIENCING NEGATIVE EMOTIONS. But what it does mean is that you don't get overwhelmed by them, they don't seem like the only thing you'll ever experience, and you know (some call it having faith) that they'll pass eventually, within a time limit proportional to the stimulus that brought them on. So a death or divorce or traumatic accident or whatever will take a much longer time to recover a positive outlook than having a minor quarrel with a neighbor you barely know, for example. But I know people (used to be one) who have never recovered from having fights with their neighbors, for example. The negativity never passes, and they relive it and live in it every single day, just as if it was a life trauma that really mattered. Or they blow up and allow ***holes in traffic to ruin their entire day or even week. Politics may also have a disproportionate effect on folks with an energy deficit...if their candidate doesn't win, it's the end of the world. That sort of "hanging on" and accumulative negativity indicates a deficit of the ordered energy necessary to move on from an event.

I guess my larger point is that positivity may be easier to accept as the eternal concepts as simple hope and optimism, rather than the almost-frenetic modern spin that often gets put on them as "positivity". Frenetic energy also being chaotic even if it seems forward moving.

Smaller point is that if it's really hard to accept simple hope and optimism, it probably indicates energy problems, even if we physically feel good enough to work out at the gym and exercise.

The land of Hope and Optimism is a good place to live. Now that I'm finally inside the border, I know that for sure. I hope we can all get here. But it's NOT anywhere near Pollyanna-ville, which is where the Stuart Smalleys of the world live and are probably not really content.

Last edited: