Eliminate The Positive. It's Making Us Ill

whodathunkit

Some people become realists.
There seems to be a pervasive belief now-days that hope is divorced from "realism". But it so isn't.

Realism = I know what my life is. I see it clear as a bell, objectively.

Hope = The possibilities open to me if I'm not entirely satisfied with what is and strive to change it for the better. Or, if I'm satisfied with the status quo, I strive to maintain it. Do I reach my ultimate goal? Who knows. Usually I don't, not entirely. But other positive things happen as a result of the striving, so striving is usually time well spent.

If I'm not willing to strive then I don't have hope. I'm indulging in magical thinking.

Hope and magical thinking ARE NOT synonymous. It's sad that current usage has conflated the two concepts. A whole lot of people are missing out because of that.

amethyst

There seems to be a pervasive belief now-days that hope is divorced from "realism". But it so isn't.

Hope = The possibilities open to me if I'm not entirely satisfied with what is and strive to change it for the better. Or, if I'm satisfied with the status quo, I strive to maintain it. Do I reach my ultimate goal? Who knows. Usually I don't, not entirely. But other positive things happen as a result of the striving, so striving is usually time well spent.

If I'm not willing to strive then I don't have hope. I'm indulging in magical thinking.

Hope and magical thinking ARE NOT synonymous. It's sad that current usage has conflated the two concepts. A whole lot of people are missing out because of that.
I can't say as I necessarily disagree with your statements but what is the point you are trying to make?

whodathunkit

I can't say as I necessarily disagree with your statements but what is the point you are trying to make?
Just commenting what I think about stuff I see and observe, same as you.

Based on the fact that I've experienced it firsthand, I kind of see the commonly accepted concept of "realism" as a "subset" of cynicism when someone claims they're a realist instead someone who has hope...as if reality somehow excludes hope. :meh: Also, as if hope were illogical magical thinking instead of just a subtly different way of looking at reality. Hope only becomes magical thinking if I'm not willing to work towards what I hope for. As long as I'm workin' and hopin', I'm real. Standing in front of a mirror gazing into my own eyes while mouthing affirmational platitudes not necessarily being "work". Although I am a fan of affirmations and visualization as an adjunct to actual work.

Anyway...I'm also very well aware that that subtly cynical mindset that excludes hope from reality is a reaction to conflating the uber-annoying Stuart Smalley positivity in with the actual positive feeling/emotion of hope. If that makes sense. Basically, positivity is a warping of what is a normal human frame of mind (hope), and because we conflate the two and one is uber-annoying, we turn away from it. That's kinda disturbing to me now, although for years I lived it. I'm annoyed that I bought into the whole warping. It helped me waste pretty much my entire youth on what I believed at the time was an urbane, sophisticated, philosophical "realism". Now I see it as a total depressing, energically draining dead-end mindset. YMMV. Although those are charged words, please believe that it's not a judgment. As I said, I lived it. I know where it comes from and what drives it. It's a fairly logical mindset that is difficult to see through. Just...kind of riffing what I think, in case it helps someone look at things differently. If not, that's cool. We all have different paths. :)

L

lollipop

Trout this was an interesting addition to this conversation:

"It appears ego depletion may be just another example of the way belief drives behavior. Thinking we’re spent makes us feel worse, while rewarding ourselves with an indulgence makes us feel better. It’s not the sugar in the lemonade that produces the sustained mental stamina, but rather the placebo effect at work."

The Way You Think About Willpower Is Hurting You

Last edited by a moderator:

giphy.gif

denise

I got a set of Solfeggio forks and start with the big one on my feet chakra, working through knees and all "traditional" chakras to the crown. I also got a few big weighted ones and use those on bones associated with energy centers (pubic bone, sacrum, sternum, cranium, etc.). You just strike them on a special piece of rubber made into a striker, or a rubber hockey puck, or even your knee or the fleshy part of your hand beneath your thumb (both the latter can hurt a bit after a few strikes, so rubber is better) and then point the tines of the fork at the chakra you're targeting until you can't hear the tone any more. I usually go on how the fork feels in my hands, so I go until I can't feel the vibrations any more. I usually listen to the tone at least once, then point a couple times. Maybe listen again. Then move to the next area. Do whatever works for you.

Some people like the regular Harmonic scale forks as opposed to Solfeggio scale (would have bought a set of Harmonics, too, except not flush with $$$ right now). Don't pay any attention to "Dr. Puleo and the 'discovery' of the 'soooper-seeekrit' Solfeggio scale", BTW. Solfeggio has been around a long time...it's the "do-re-mi" scale from Sound of Music, for example. I think Puleo extrapolated a couple of tones to add to it, but that's it. Mysterious New Age clap-trap urban legends drive me crazy. :roll:

If you've only got $$ for a couple of forks you might read Beaulieu's book and look into the C & G tuners. They're supposed to create a "perfect" musical interval that sets up a healing frequency/vibration. I don't understand music theory yet although my experience with the forks has provoked me into learning it and also learning to play piano. Slow going since so many irons in the fire ATM. Anyway, C and G are both included in the Harmonic set. Again, something I want to try but can wait since I've gotten really good results with the tuners I have.

So good luck. Let me know if you decide to try them and what you think! :)
This has me intrigued. Would you consider creating a separate thread (so we can pester you with questions without hijacking this thread)?
Also, I skimmed through the Human Tuning book this weekend, and his claim is that the tuning forks actually raise NO levels, and that this is where a lot of the benefit is coming from. 'Round these parts, though, NO is seen as something you don't want to be stimulating more of. I'm wondering if you'd read/thought about this?

whodathunkit

It appears ego depletion may be just another example of the way belief drives behavior. Thinking we’re spent makes us feel worse, while rewarding ourselves with an indulgence makes us feel better. It’s not the sugar in the lemonade that produces the sustained mental stamina, but rather the placebo effect at work."
I'm gonna differ here on that. It's so funny but I used to be the person who wrote that article. The pint of ice cream and chillin' to Netflix with my dogs in the recliner was the thing I looked forward to most all day while I was at work.

I don't mean this as harsh as it sounds, but this sounds like another version of "Your fatigue is all in your head". But it ain't. Energy depletion is not just a psychological phenomenon. Not by a long shot.

IMO and IME, just like you have to have a reservoir of physical energy available for subtle energic therapies to work, you conversely have to be fairly physically run down for the deficit to show up chronically in your outlook. But if the physical depletion is minor, subtle and CBT-like therapies can be very helpful to get things moving again, and might be all that's needed.

However, it's actually harmful to people with severe physical energy deficit to promote therapeutics that are predicated on the theory that the problem is all in the mind. When there is severe physical energy deficit present, believing it's all in the mind causes a self-perpetuating cycle of failure, because no subtle therapy tried ever works right...it CAN'T work right because the physcial energy isn't there to bolster it...and then the patient takes the blame when strategy after strategy is tried and fails.

Just sayin' as food for thought. I hope you don't take it the wrong way, Lisa, because you're one of the nicest people around and I know you mean nothing but good. :kisscheek

Last edited:

whodathunkit

Also, I skimmed through the Human Tuning book this weekend, and his claim is that the tuning forks actually raise NO levels, and that this is where a lot of the benefit is coming from.
Yeah, I don't pay too much attention to that. It's debatable how much it actually increases NO...this is a very subtle therapeutic strategy so I'm doubtful how much NO could actually be generated. At any rate, he also says not to tone the weighted bone forks (the biggest generators of NO, IIRC) more than twice in the same area, just to be on the safe side. Supposedly toning only once or twice will give a beneficial amount of NO without overload.

In my experience, less is definitely more with tuning forks. They're so subtle and sound so pretty it's hard not to get excited and overdo them when you first get them. But it is absolutely possible to get very overstimulated with them. I had a couple of fairly unpleasant "overstimulation" kundalini experiences after overdoing tuning forks, once with just the forks and another time while also using a powerful essential oil at the same time. Also had one just with the oil but that's a whole other topic. Point is I had always half-disbelieved in kundalini energy and that things like tuning forks or essential oils could be so powerful, but these experiences totally set me straight on that. Maybe the overstimulation is due to NO generation...I dunno. But I do know that it doesn't occur if you don't overdo.

If you want to start another thread for the forks, please do, and then just tag me. I'll answer what I can and tell you straight up I don't know if I don't. :)

InChristAlone

I would be interested in a tuning fork thread. I just bought the C&G set. I'm excited! I'm reading the book and watched some presentations by Eilleen. She is amazing. I wish I could have a session with her.

denise

Trout this was an interesting addition to this conversation:

"It appears ego depletion may be just another example of the way belief drives behavior. Thinking we’re spent makes us feel worse, while rewarding ourselves with an indulgence makes us feel better. It’s not the sugar in the lemonade that produces the sustained mental stamina, but rather the placebo effect at work."

http://www.nirandfar.com/2016/11/the-way-you-think-about-willpower-is-hurting-you.html
I almost didn't finish reading that article because it was frustrating me (and this reply btw has nothing to do with your quotation, or, really, with the topic of this thread!), but I slogged through to the end and was rewarded. Thinking about willpower as an emotion is FAR more useful, I think, and also resonates very deeply with me. If I'm (mentally, emotionally) digging in my heels about doing something, I'm always better off if I can just go with it and not force myself to do it. The only really bad situations are when this happens at work, and the project is fairly urgent.

Actually, it makes even more sense to think about willpower as a stimulant (like caffeine) that you can use to bolster low energy. It can be useful in the right doses at the right times, but if you are already energy depleted, etc., and rely on it too much, it can do harm in the long run. This relates, I think, to what @whodathunkit was saying.

L

lollipop

I'm gonna differ here on that. It's so funny but I used to be the person who wrote that article. The pint of ice cream and chillin' to Netflix with my dogs in the recliner was the thing I looked forward to most all day while I was at work.

I don't mean this as harsh as it sounds, but this sounds like another version of "Your fatigue is all in your head". But it ain't. Energy depletion is not just a psychological phenomenon. Not by a long shot.

IMO and IME, just like you have to have a reservoir of physical energy available for subtle energic therapies to work, you conversely have to be fairly physically run down for the deficit to show up chronically in your outlook. But if the physical depletion is minor, subtle and CBT-like therapies can be very helpful to get things moving again, and might be all that's needed.

However, it's actually harmful to people with severe physical energy deficit to promote therapeutics that are predicated on the theory that the problem is all in the mind. When there is severe physical energy deficit present, believing it's all in the mind causes a self-perpetuating cycle of failure, because no subtle therapy tried ever works right...it CAN'T work right because the physcial energy isn't there to bolster it...and then the patient takes the blame when strategy after strategy is tried and fails.

Just sayin' as food for thought. I hope you don't take it the wrong way, Lisa, because you're one of the nicest people around and I know you mean nothing but good. :kisscheek

Not at all offending me. ❤️ My thoughts:

A) point of posting: what you believe, think, feel, tell yourself matters. I had no other reason.

B) I agree with you and disagree at the same time :) I work with multiple levels with my clients: energetic (subtle and physical), emotional, mental, physical. Actually I see them all as intertwined :)

When in emergency and super low energy state - agree completely need to boost the biochemical, chemical energetic foundation upwards before even attempting physical, emotional, mental work.

AND Not fully sunk in that lower state I have seen different approaches switch biochemistry of person: mental shifts (what you tell yourself, what you tell the world), emotional shifts (I have found gratitude one of the easiest emotional upwards trends to help people find). Even physical shifts can affect that biochemical energy state: like inversions and backbends in Yoga. Not to mention the sugar and caffeine boost that shifts the biochemical foundation towards greater energy.

In essence different pathways "in" do work. It is not as linear and simple as the "energetic level first" idea, imho. Depends on person's health history, personality, current condition, current situation, current environment, etc. long list of things I take in consideration when making choices of how to support a person's path up into highest wellness/well being possible.

As point of reference, I have worked with people at all different starting points (just saved from the clasp of being committed to a mental institution all the way to high powered executives) and must say not one way works for everyone. Highly individual.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

lollipop

I almost didn't finish reading that article because it was frustrating me (and this reply btw has nothing to do with your quotation, or, really, with the topic of this thread!), but I slogged through to the end and was rewarded. Thinking about willpower as an emotion is FAR more useful, I think, and also resonates very deeply with me. If I'm (mentally, emotionally) digging in my heels about doing something, I'm always better off if I can just go with it and not force myself to do it. The only really bad situations are when this happens at work, and the project is fairly urgent.

Actually, it makes even more sense to think about willpower as a stimulant (like caffeine) that you can use to bolster low energy. It can be useful in the right doses at the right times, but if you are already energy depleted, etc., and rely on it too much, it can do harm in the long run. This relates, I think, to what @whodathunkit was saying.
Hi @denise, not trying to frustrate you. The very first sentence about beliefs mattering was the point: As I said in my response above, the point of posting: what you believe, feel, think, tell yourself matters.

Pboy said it in another thread quite eloquently when he was speaking about the immune system.

Nova

I agree with most of this.

Realism is a mental state / perspective of the world where I take things as they are. No projections, no bull. "It is what it is."

Hope implies a willingness to project, that I'm willing to align to a vision that may or may not come to fruition. Things may not go as planned. I am not in perfect control of every situation, not capable of seeing every outcome. "So it is, and so it will be."

Striving is the uphill climb, the light at the end of tunnel. Convinced that there may be something better, something beyond "All that is."

Magical thinking is hope without logic, usually based in emotion. "Wish in one hand, ***t in the other and let's see which one fills up the fastest."

Hope and magical thinking are very similar concepts, which is why people often confuse the two. Magical thinking is a lot like a child playing pretend. Adults often have flights of fantasy too, especially the creative and esoteric types such as myself. It's not a bad thing, but if you take it too far, you'll lose your mind. Which I have done before.

Magical thinking leads away from logic and into depressive states, in my case. I try not to indulge in magical thinking very much. Whenever I do, things have a way of going way off the tracks.

lvysaur

If you can tell me what those snps control or what problems can be precipitated if they get turned on

FADS genes code for the desaturase enzymes (desaturating the fat you eat), and TLR4 codes for the "toll-like receptor", which sets off the immune system and can recognize endotoxin.

Each of these genes has multiple mutations that are associated with different specific things.

whodathunkit

FADS genes code for the desaturase enzymes (desaturating the fat you eat), and TLR4 codes for the "toll-like receptor", which sets off the immune system and can recognize endotoxin.
I'll try to look through some of my reports and see if I can find anything. Nothing jumps out of my memory right now, but that may be because I wasn't looking for these things specifically last time I trolled through my results. Now I'm curious.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals