Why Aren't You Telling Us What Works Over The Long Run

FredSonoma

lol after 4 months of proviron nobody recognised me either and when I told them who I was their jaw dropt :D.
And I think Dht is the single best thing for improving your quality of life, should be non metylated though:):
How old were you when you did that?

danielbb

So many of us get excited about a supplement or nutritional tweak, talk about it, and then the initial flush of enthusiasm wanes. We discover downsides.

Or maybe the supplement or tweak makes things worse over time.

Or maybe it's really because something ELSE we were doing at the same time was responsible for the good result.

I've read SO SO SO many accounts of "this is wonderful" and then nothing...

...I've written some of these myself.

So I am asking you, what tweak over the long run has worked for you that you are positive about?

I would say over a year of use would probably help the most.

So far, the only thing I can be positive about 100% over the long run is red light.
I am very reluctant about supplements as they seem like their main purpose is to separate us from our money.

For the long run:

1) Elimination of PUFA (inflammation in my body has disappeared)
2) Elimination of processed food (especially starch as in flour although I use Italian flour on occasion based on a recommendation from another member here. A perpetual runny nose has been cured and I believe negative feelings and depression have been cured because of the elimination/mitigation of 1 and 2).
3) No raw vegetables other than carrots
4) Sugar (e.g., from milk, honey, OJ, fruit, and Coke) - no doubt at all this is a healing substance and discovered this before finding the works of Ray Peat. Huge testosterone booster for me.
5) Well-cooked white mashed potatoes. (Hormonal power house along with sugar).
6) Liver and oysters

Other no, no's - No legumes, seeds, or other complex carbohydrates other than well-cooked potatoes and white rice, no high fructose corn syrup, no carrageenan.

Still experimenting but highly encouraged:
1. Large quantities of milk
2. Gelatin
3. Chocolate

Last edited:

_Nat_

Im only about 4 months in:

-Carbs ( raised my BP back up to a normal range, stopped the dizziness I experienced on low carb, hairloss stopped like 99.999%)

-vit K2 (improved tooth sensitivity)

Other than that im still experimenting a lot

OP
ecstatichamster
orange juice
LF milk 1%
ground up cooked mushrooms
coffee

that remains...it works for me.

ubiety

For leaky gut (especially exercise induced bloating), and indigestion: Zinc-L-Carnosine and Colostrum
For prostate (keeps the flow strong), and sinus issues (ie clearing and preventing infection): Nettle root. Been helping for years for these symptoms.

These were the ones that had the most impact and still have a lot of impact currently:
-Simple syrup( introduced about 1 year ago): much more effective than sucrose at improving metabolism for me. It was very important for ditching starch. Without it, I think I may still need some starchy foods.

-PUFA restriction( introduced about 2,5 years ago): massive for dealing with inflammation.

-Caffeine( introduced in more or less exact amounts 2 years ago): this is great for increasing metabolism and mood. I believe this was one of the substances that helped me increase drastically the amount of muscle in my arms. It must have really cleaned up my liver. I noticed this effect when I was using 400 mg of it everyday for several months. Nowadays, I only use 100 mg per day.

-Bicarbonate salts( introduced 1 year ago): very good for maintaining muscle, as well as for doing some fasting if mixed with simple syrup.

-Lots of meat: building muscle is much easier with more meat. Cognition and calmness also improved with more meat. I feel much more stable.

-Gelatin: this is amazing for the hair.

Edit: I forgot to put how long I was doing gelatin and lots of meat. I started doing the former about 5 or 6 months ago, so not as long as the other items. The gelatin I've been doing for a long time: since the end of 2016, so probably 3,5 years.

Last edited:
OP
ecstatichamster
For leaky gut (especially exercise induced bloating), and indigestion: Zinc-L-Carnosine and Colostrum
For prostate (keeps the flow strong), and sinus issues (ie clearing and preventing infection): Nettle root. Been helping for years for these symptoms.

isn’t nettle root estrogenic?

Raphael do you take caffeine in pill form or is it from coffee?
In pill form. I don't tolerate coffee well. It gives me acid reflux, and, strangely enough, gives me pretty bad dyslexia.

ubiety

isn’t nettle root estrogenic?
I think so, but when my allergies are bad, that's a trade off I make to get relief and prevent a sinus infection which I would get otherwise. I don't take it every day, just whenever there is a flareup of symptoms.

Jib

Oh boy. Just looking at the pharmacy-sized stack of supplement bottles around my room makes me feel sick. It's very true that the main purpose of supplements is to separate us from our money. There are some valuable ones, and I'm currently trying to decide what those are.

I would say finding projects and people to be passionate about. Having a sense of purpose and community. And also knowing how to set boundaries and protect your time and energy. Psychological "well-being," for lack of a better term. This is the only sure-fire thing that's helped me, and the lack of it the only sure-fire thing that's absolutely destroyed my life.

My energy gets rapidly depleted when I hang out with people for longer than I'd like to, or just people I'd rather not hang out with, which I do very frequently. It's awful. Saying "No" feels 100% impossible. Two books I've found helpful are "Not Nice" and "When I Say No I Feel Guilty." However it's easy to listen to these books on Audible and then not put them into practice. It's very hard work, especially when the thought of saying "No" to someone causes you extreme distress, as severe as a panic attack. Which ironically happen anyway when you're in situations you don't want to be in. I'll have to keep that in mind ;)

I'll second sex. I've been completely depressed after me and my first girlfriend broke up over a year ago. I was a very late bloomer, am still a recluse, and being in a loving relationship with lots of sex was the best thing that ever happened to me in my life. I never thought it would happen for me but later into my mid 20's it did. It was the only time I felt "normal" and I consistently had good levels of energy. During those several years I socialized and met more people and got more work than I ever had before in my life. My ex and I had a lot of issues, both having extremely dysfunctional/abusive childhoods, which is tragic to me. It's taking me quite some time to even understand what happened. I ended up taking the relationship for granted and before I knew it, it was over. Regular sex, especially (for me) in the context of a loving relationship, was hugely beneficial, pretty much more than anything else I can think of.

A few close friends moving away as well as the breakup, and for no apparent reason not being invited out to parties I was regularly attending before, threw me into a deep depression I'm still trying to claw my way out of. I was regularly jamming with a couple bands, playing out for paid gigs once a week, getting somewhat regular clients, and was excited about developing my skills, buying and learning how to use new tools, etc. When that all collapsed and I went months without any work at all, people trying to take advantage of me, and no one around that I genuinely wanted to interact with, no sex/love; that's when I just spiraled and landed into a pit.

Sunlight. It's a bit of an interjection here, but it works 100% for me. I forced myself to go outside today, as it was a beautiful day out, and simply sit in the sun for a while. Made a huge difference compared to lingering in a dark room. Changed my mindset almost immediately.

I can remember vaguely what it felt like to be excited, but it's something I haven't felt in a long time. I do know that in the past I could go from being practically catatonic on my bed to snapping out of bed and working happily for 12 hours if something unexpected and exciting came along. Night and day difference, far beyond anything I ever experienced from diet or nutrition. There's a lot to be said for that. It was just like an instant shot of energy, and the only source for the energy was being excited about working on something.

Same with getting into that relationship. Experiencing sex for the first time with someone I was in love with when I was sure I would never experience it in my whole life was absolutely mindblowing. Absolutely beyond words. Sex is only 'not a big deal' to people who have it regularly. I know because when I started having it regularly, I started taking it for granted. Funny how that works. Now that I've gone without for a long time again, its importance is once again very clear to me.

So I've been trying to "tune in" more to what my actual passions are. I could die tomorrow for all I know. I came very close to dying a week ago. It could all be over in an instant at any time. With that in mind, what would you want to accomplish before you die? What would actually mean something to you? What would excite you? What would make you feel fulfilled? Being able to answer those questions, and act on those answers, is a sure-fire way to increased energy and health. Probably more-so than anything else.

I know because I've been in the polar opposite state: stuck in a cycle of grief and absolute stagnation. I would say I've never felt worse in my life, and I have been at some extremely low points in the past. By knowing what absolutely inhibits and destroys energy and creativity we can deduce some information about what encourages and grows it.

To bring it full circle, I'd use Ray Peat himself as an example. His work is a result of him doing something he's passionate about: researching and writing and teaching about health and nutrition in a way no one else is. Exercising creativity and having a sense of community and purpose, worth and value to what we do -- that is extremely important. Feeling inspired about being alive and having the ability to create and interact is the greatest energy source there is.

danielteleman

And people share their momentary enthusiasm MUCH MORE EASILY than their failures.

According to nearly 20 years of experience as naturotherapist and etiotherapist :

1) Being aware aging and loss of faculties are mainly an effect of the accumulation of calcium in inorganic forms in our bodies, we can slow aging process by avoiding the main sources of inorganic calcium and minerals : phosphates and carbonates. For example, never admit use of supplements containing calcium carbonate or phosphate. Fresh vegetables and fruits are the food naturally containing the higher proportion of organic usable nutrients, and the smallest proportion of inorganic unusable elements (which accumulates in the body and block it).

We should only drink water very poor in mineral content (inorganic and unusable) as some very astonishing studies about mortality have shown. A water containing 30 mg/l of total minerals is acceptable, a water containing 100 g or more is not on the long run.

2) Being aware the skin is the way by which the largest quantity of undesirable elements (the body try to eliminate), is evacuated during our lifetime, everything related to making or keeping the skin pores open and clean is fundamental and its value is gold. Kidneys can not eliminate by themselves everything the body needs to eliminate in order to function normally. Acting on the skin, then in an external way, is essential. Everyday dry skin friction (before shower or bath) is highly recommended and very beneficial on the long run.

3) Being aware elevated heat disassembles structures, can create new toxic components and tend to make food similar to inorganic substances, we should avoid very high temperature when cooking. Steam cooking is ideal, as every method not exceeding 100°C. Tarts cooked at 200°C are not recommended at all in a healthy diet, same remark for fried food, etc

4) Supplements are not needed when lifestyle and habits are healthy and bring balance. They favor unbalances and most of them lead to negative effects on the long run because of that. If I were to mention a few good ones though, I would talk before everything else, about René Quinton Plasma (purified sea water rich in usable transformed minerals). The safest vegetable supplements are those made with the totality of the plant rather than a specific isolated component presented in concentrated form. Minerals and/or vitamins (except vitamin C) should never be taken as mono-supplementations because they depend on each other. Never take zinc chelate supplement alone, or iron, or copper, or a single vitamin B for example; this is very dangerous and so many people destroy their health in doing so. Anyway supplements will never be your core weapon. Food will, and also the way you think, your habits etc.

5) Do some exercice often, learn to laugh and to relax. Create and imagine exercices, be creative. Physical exercices must take into consideration the suppleness is the key function we should try to maintain, the movements they promote also aid in all the detoxifying process. But you are not a physical being only. Causes of our illnesses cannot be understood if we look only at physical laws. Then what really cures ourselves cannot either be understood that way. The human being is made of physical body, soul and spirit all in one. This triple constitution reflects on the 3 states of substances the different sciences study (macromolecular laws, micromolecular laws (biological/colloidal), and subquantic laws) and that we find every cell in its triple constitution to be in relation with. In order to maintain or acquire good health, we must get mature about metaphysics and ideas. Thus you need to enlarge your thoughts, and deeply and honestly follow some kind of spiritual path, teaching or inspiration. But don't forget you have to becomme your own teacher and master...

6) Several therapeutic approaches can be beneficial. The best because they respect the human being in its integrity, are the ones we call “holistic”. As far as I am concerned I found myself and many people satisfied with the ethics and results given by the etiotherapy technique, which was created by Dr Latour in France. I found many people recovering from physical problems as well as psychological ones, thanks to this approach. It is now teached in some other countries.

Awesome post. Thanks

accelerator

dealing with guilt from the past

treating dog well : )

holding breath

bronkaid ( but made me feel much worse if abused )

Bronkaid? Peat hasn't recommended that, has he? I thought the guaifenesin was harmful?

All these keep working for me and if I run out I go backwards

Progesterone *
Pregnenolone *
B1
Magnesium *
T3 *
Aspirin
Theanine *
Clonidine
Cypro heptadine

Of these the most markedly helpful are the ones with stars

Pregnenolone started with euphoria followed by headaches, but I suspected it would be worth revisiting, a few times if need be, and it was

What brand theanine do you take? I've never noticed anything with it.

SQu

I get a bulk powder. I do find different results from different suppliers.

Other family members feel nothing from it. It doesn't seem to help severe anxiety for them. I gave it a long break, restarted recently. Still love it but the effects do seem to get milder over time.

To update this list I would also add methylene blue.

Bronkaid? Peat hasn't recommended that, has he? I thought the guaifenesin was harmful?