Depression and blood tests

Violet

I know someone who is severely depressed and anxious right now, and I'm trying to convince her to go for a blood test to see what her hormones are. I'm going to suggest she get thyroid, serotonin, female sex hormones, and cortisol tested.

Is there anything you guys think would also be beneficial to get checked?

kiran

Vitamin D (25-hydroxy), serum calcium, PTH, lactate.

Any Idea what her vit D levels are like?

Mittir

Total Cholesterol is a major indicator of mental health. It is very easy to increase ,just by eating sugar rich foods.

Ray Peat said:
As was the case with cancer, the pharmaceutical industry continues to deny that their anticholesterol drugs cause suicide, depression, and dementia, but there is a large amount of evidence from human as well as animal studies showing that mood and intelligence are depressed by lowering cholesterol. Simply injecting cholesterol into animals can improve their learning ability. In the Framingham heart study of 1894 people extending over a period of about 20 years, people with cholesterol naturally in the "desirable" range, below 200 mg.%, scored lower on "verbal fluency, attention/concentration, abstract reasoning, and a composite score measuring multiple cognitive domains" than those with higher cholesterol (Elias, et al., 2005).

OP
Violet

Violet

kiran said:

Thank you! No idea about her Vit D - I'll ask her. How do those other things impact mental health? Sorry if that's a huge question! :p

OP
Violet

Violet

Mittir said:
Total Cholesterol is a major indicator of mental health. It is very easy to increase ,just by eating sugar rich foods.

Ray Peat said:
As was the case with cancer, the pharmaceutical industry continues to deny that their anticholesterol drugs cause suicide, depression, and dementia, but there is a large amount of evidence from human as well as animal studies showing that mood and intelligence are depressed by lowering cholesterol. Simply injecting cholesterol into animals can improve their learning ability. In the Framingham heart study of 1894 people extending over a period of about 20 years, people with cholesterol naturally in the "desirable" range, below 200 mg.%, scored lower on "verbal fluency, attention/concentration, abstract reasoning, and a composite score measuring multiple cognitive domains" than those with higher cholesterol (Elias, et al., 2005).

Isnt total cholesterol the cholesterol in your blood that isnt being used for hormone production? If the rats injected with cholesterol got smarter then perhaps it was because the cholesterol was utilised .

The reason I'm unsure about this is because I hit rock bottom about six months ago (depression wise), and it coincided with me having extremely high cholestrol (400). HIgh cholesterol is also a sympton of oestrogen dominance.

kiran

Violet said:
kiran said:

Thank you! No idea about her Vit D - I'll ask her. How do those other things impact mental health? Sorry if that's a huge question! :p

Well, vit D, calcium and PTH go together.
Depression is associated with decreased 25-hydroxyvitamin D and increased parathyroid hormone levels in older adults.

Increased serum calcium can be a sign of hyperparathyroid(high PTH). High PTH can be due to a vitamin D deficiency. I guess you could just do the vit D and serum calcium for now (calcium will be part of a blood chemistry) and wait to see if calcium turns up high and then test for PTH.

Lactate is a marker for stress.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Violet said:
HIgh cholesterol is also a sympton of oestrogen dominance.

And low metabolic rate.

OP
Violet

Violet

kiran said:
Violet said:
kiran said:

Well, vit D, calcium and PTH go together.
Depression is associated with decreased 25-hydroxyvitamin D and increased parathyroid hormone levels in older adults.

Increased serum calcium can be a sign of hyperparathyroid(high PTH). High PTH can be due to a vitamin D deficiency. I guess you could just do the vit D and serum calcium for now (calcium will be part of a blood chemistry) and wait to see if calcium turns up high and then test for PTH.

Lactate is a marker for stress.

Thanks for the info! And if those results were abnormal, what would you suggest doing?

kiran

Violet said:
Thanks for the info! And if those results were abnormal, what would you suggest doing?

Well, you want to get vit D to at least 50 ng/ml or so, and eat adequate calcium. In theory these should also normalize the PTH/serum calcium.

Keep in mind that the lab ranges for PTH and calcium go way too high, so you can treat high-normal as high. I'm not entirely sure what the optimal ranges are.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals