Blood Panel for Hyperthyroid/Stress Hormones?

Peater503

Planning to get a blood test done to confirm my suspicions of either having hyperthyroid or running on stress hormones. Someone recommended me:

-Catecholamines
-Cortisol / ACTH
-Reverse T3
-Total and free T3
-T3 uptake
-Thyroid antibodies

Anything important missing here? Maybe some of these unnecessary?

I also just tried the body temperature test before and 30 mins after eating, and my temp was essentially almost exactly the same. Would this point more towards hypothyroidism then since body temp is supposed to increase after eating? I'm quite confused...

OP
P

Peater503

Planning to get a blood test done to confirm my suspicions of either having hyperthyroid or running on stress hormones. Someone recommended me:

-Catecholamines
-Cortisol / ACTH
-Reverse T3
-Total and free T3
-T3 uptake
-Thyroid antibodies

Anything important missing here? Maybe some of these unnecessary?

I also just tried the body temperature test before and 30 mins after eating, and my temp was essentially almost exactly the same. Would this point more towards hypothyroidism then since body temp is supposed to increase after eating? I'm quite confused...
Update: My doctor recommended me this more basic panel instead:
  1. CBC (Complete Blood Count)
  2. CRP (C-Reactive Protein)
  3. ASAT (Aspartate Aminotransferase) and ALAT (Alanine Aminotransferase)
  4. Ferritin
  5. CPK (Creatine Phosphokinase)
  6. Fasting Blood Sugar
  7. TSH (Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone) ultra-sensitive
    • If TSH ≥ 10 mUI/L: measure T4L
    • If TSH ≤ 0.1 mUI/L: measure T4L
    • If TSH ≤ 0.1 mUI/L and normal or low T4L: measure T3L
  8. Plasma Creatinine with eGFR Calculation (CKD-EPI)
  9. Sodium and Potassium
  10. Calcium + Albumin (calculate corrected calcium if albumin < 40 g/L)
  11. Plasma Cortisol at 8 a.m.
  12. Urine Analysis
Should I go with this panel instead or rather the one from my original post?

I don't mind the difference of costs of the two, I just want to get the most relevant one for my situation, which is just to know about the state of my thyroid and stress hormones. I don't suspect to have any problems with anything else, so I feel markers 1/2/3/4 are not necessary for me. I don't know, what do you guys think :confused:

Peater

Thyroid hormones, liver panel, T/E, prolactin and cortisol I think would cover you.

People overlook the liver but it stores glycogen, converts T4 to T3, removes excess estrogen...

OP
P

Peater503

Thyroid hormones, liver panel, T/E, prolactin and cortisol I think would cover you.

People overlook the liver but it stores glycogen, converts T4 to T3, removes excess estrogen...
Gotcha, so essentially the panel my doc prescribed me is overkill, right?

Peater

I'm not qualified to say if those tests are unnecessary, there are some tests there like TSH that are definitely worthwhile - just that I would personally consider those other ones either in addition to, or instead of, the panel the Dr recommended. :)

OP
P

Peater503

I'm not qualified to say if those tests are unnecessary, there are some tests there like TSH that are definitely worthwhile - just that I would personally consider those other ones either in addition to, or instead of, the panel the Dr recommended. :)
Oh ok :)

I think I will start with the panel my doc gave me then because they're pretty expensive for me, and I can get that test reimbursed from my insurance as it's prescribed.

Then, if I find literally nothing suspect in those results, I'll do a full liver panel + all the more specific thyroid hormones in my first post (Reverse T3, Total and free T3, T3 uptake, Thyroid antibodies) to see if I can find anything there.

I don't know, does that sound like a logical plan? 😅😅

Peater

Oh ok :)

I think I will start with the panel my doc gave me then because they're pretty expensive for me, and I can get that test reimbursed from my insurance as it's prescribed.

Then, if I find literally nothing suspect in those results, I'll do a full liver panel + all the more specific thyroid hormones in my first post (Reverse T3, Total and free T3, T3 uptake, Thyroid antibodies) to see if I can find anything there.

I don't know, does that sound like a logical plan? 😅😅

If those initial tests are insurance covered then definitely. I'm surprised they didn't include cortisol in there though.

OP
P

Peater503

If those initial tests are insurance covered then definitely. I'm surprised they didn't include cortisol in there though.
I'm not sure but I think cortisol is marker 11 of the panel, but I have no idea why it's called "plasma"

Ahmed ELH

These are the basic tests that a general practitioner will give you here in France.

Adding the one you mentioned above to the prescribed one would be perfect.

sunny

I would get the Dr rx, and then you can get this on your own if you can't talk them into a complete Thyroid panel.

Pro tip: read up on symptoms for the condition associated with the test you want. Then describe to the doctor that you think you have x, y, z based on said symptoms, and ask them to test for it.

Logan-

Pro tip: read up on symptoms for the condition associated with the test you want. Then describe to the doctor that you think you have x, y, z based on said symptoms, and ask them to test for it.
+1

OP
P

Peater503

These are the basic tests that a general practitioner will give you here in France.

Adding the one you mentioned above to the prescribed one would be perfect.
Ah, I see. Generally, doing TSH alone is not enough to give a clear idea of thyroid function, right?

OP
P

Peater503

I would get the Dr rx, and then you can get this on your own if you can't talk them into a complete Thyroid panel.
Ok :thumbsup:
Yeah tried this, doc said only if that general panel gives any indication to. But I'm just not sure if TSH alone is enough to get a clear picture of thyroid function (I'm suspecting to be hyperthyroid, I have literally almost every single symptom associated with it)

OP
P

Peater503

Update #2: Results came in

Plasma Cortisol - 454,1 nmol/l

TSH - 2,063 mIU/l

Didn't RP say something about TSH ideally being around 0.2? 😅😅

youngsinatra

Update #2: Results came in

Plasma Cortisol - 454,1 nmol/l

TSH - 2,063 mIU/l

Didn't RP say something about TSH ideally being around 0.2?
Was the blood test done in the morning? (regarding the cortisol)
Also what’s the reference range for plasma cortisol? (I only know serum)

OP
P

Peater503

Was the blood test done in the morning? (regarding the cortisol)
Also what’s the reference range for plasma cortisol? (I only know serum)
Yes, but I didn't manage to do it at 8 am like it says on the panel, it was around 10:30.

Reference range for plasma (according to my results paper) is 101,2 - 535,7 nmol/l at 8 am.

If cortisol peaks at 8 am and then slowly decreases from there throughout the day, that means at 8 am my value was probably around 500, right?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals