Thyroid Blood And Iron Works

Fil72

Hi, I hope someone could enlighten me on these blood tests.
Test done Nov 16
TSH 3.73 (inFeb 17 it gone down to 1.55)
Free T4 16.1
Free T3 4.3

This is a client of mine and as I am just starting to treat clients (I'm a Nutritional Therapist) but before I go head with making reccomendations I would really appreciate some input from this forum.
She takes a daily does of 50mg of levothyroxine (every other day she takes 75mg). She says her doctor has said it's autoimune thyrodism which I take it as being Hashimotos?
Her Serum Ferritin iron levels are low - 11 (22-275) and according to her doctor and she should supplement with iron.
She gets very tired after eating even a small meal. And she also is allergic to dust and her immune system is generally low and she gets coughs and colds very easily.

Some thoughts on where how to start? Her diet is lacking dairy and fruit..

Many thanks,

Last edited:

aguilaroja

[QUOTE="Fil72, post: 223365, member: 4744"TSH 3.73 (inFeb 17 it gone down to 1.55)
Free T4 16.1 Free T3 4.3
This is a client of mine and as I am just starting to treat clients (I'm a Nutritional Therapist) ...
She takes a daily does of 50mg of levothyroxine (every other day she takes 75mg)...
Her Serum Ferritin iron levels are low - 11 (22-275) and according to her doctor and she should supplement with iron.
She gets very tired after eating even a small meal. And she also is allergic to dust a... and she gets coughs and colds very easily.[/QUOTE]

The low ferritin report is concerning. It is not easy for iron stores to sink low in a well nourished person. It raises questions of nutrient intake and absorption, appetite, even blood loss. For a female who is still cycling, menstrual flow, and its metabolic/hormonal relation, may also be a factor in iron stores. If iron is low, other nutrient factors may also be low, even basic ones like protein.

Presumably the doctor has done other tests to make an assessment of anemia and recommend iron supplement. There are many dietary sources of iron if the person’s intake and absorption are functional.

Tracking pulse and temperature, plus symptom inventory is helpful to assess thyroid function. With better nutrition support, there may be a positive spiral of improved nutrition, boosting thyroid function, boosting appetite, further improving nutrition.
I am not a nutritional therapist nor coach, do not have the context here, and am only commenting generally.

HLP

Ray would not recommend an iron supplement. Iron's Dangers Is this person overweight? Get enough protein with carbs (preferably not from starch)
Fruit is not optional but a must. What kind of diet is this person consuming. More information would be helpful.

OP
F

Fil72

Ray would not recommend an iron supplement. Iron's Dangers Is this person overweight? Get enough protein with carbs (preferably not from starch)
Fruit is not optional but a must. What kind of diet is this person consuming. More information would be helpful.
Thanks. She is definately not over weight. Her diet is quite normal i guess. Some dairy, some yogurt, doesn't drink milk. some veggies/meat. No junk food it seems at all. One coffee a day. She was worried i would take her off the coffee. She has also rhinitis (when your nose is constantly blocked) she developed asthma from having respiratory issues. But her main worry is her autoimmune diagnosis. Young girl, about 23. Suggested she first try and remove gluten as I know that consuming that can make the hashimotos worse.

HLP

Wow. More coffee but not plain. Cream and sugar added for sure. 80 - 100 grams of protein daily ... including eggs, cheese, Greek yogurt, liver (weekly), oysters, shrimp would be top picks. Add tropical fruits. Try some Buteyko breathing techniques. Nip any tendency to yawn or sigh as they lead to more breathing issues. Don't let the system "label" you as a disease. Face any weaknesses with a strong belief that your body can amazingly overcome anything with the right foods. As for gluten, you don't need to worry about it, just don't eat anything starchy. Sugar is a far better source of energy. Starch can be OCCASIONALLY added back later when her health improves.

OP
F

Fil72

Wow. More coffee but not plain. Cream and sugar added for sure. 80 - 100 grams of protein daily ... including eggs, cheese, Greek yogurt, liver (weekly), oysters, shrimp would be top picks. Add tropical fruits. Try some Buteyko breathing techniques. Nip any tendency to yawn or sigh as they lead to more breathing issues. Don't let the system "label" you as a disease. Face any weaknesses with a strong belief that your body can amazingly overcome anything with the right foods. As for gluten, you don't need to worry about it, just don't eat anything starchy. Sugar is a far better source of energy. Starch can be OCCASIONALLY added back later when her health improves.
That is the sort of thing I am going to suggest to her, she lives with her aunt who is from Malaysia and it appears that her diet could be slanted the RP way without too much trouble. Thanks for the suggestion of weight in protein as that gives her, and me something to go on. How much of the other food should she have? Is it just to feel full and nourished? She is studying psychotherapy and both her parents are doctors and phychoterapists (mother specialsing in psychosomatic disorders) so hoping that the encouragment 'she can over come it' will not come as strange suggestion. She won't do liver so could i suggest some dessicated liver capsules instead?
Interesting you say not to worry about gluten. Everywhere you read they all say to cut out gluten as that makes Hashimoto sufferer's feel better? I suggested she could have some sourdough.

HLP

I meant no grains, so gluten doesn't even come in to play. She will regain health quicker that way. Always remember that there is the law of "Herring" when it comes to healing. She will likely go back through symptoms as she heals. Patience is required. Some improvements could be felt soon but may take months or even years. Sleep would be one of my first concerns. Sleeping sound through the night being the first goal. Also the body likes routine. Be careful with water drinking. Many people overdo water. Fruit contains large percentages of water with minerals intact. Pulse and body temperature are other things to monitor.

Last edited:

sele

She says her doctor has said it's autoimune thyrodism
Estrogen causes autoimmune thyrodism (hashimoto's).

She takes a daily does of 50mg of levothyroxine
When liver is over burdened by estrogen, it is hard to convert T4 to T3.
T4 will put extra burden on her liver.

My ferritin was always low when I was hypothyroid.
To measure your total iron storage you need both Ferritin and Transferrin saturation index.
Ferritin alone is less reliable because infection, inflammation and some diseases can give misleading results.
I would not try supplemental iron.
Focus on nutrition to raise metabolism and lower stress.

OP
F

Fil72

Thanks everyone. She is taking liver capsules now and trying to follow the suggestions I have made. More protein to support her liver, more fruit and carbs and regular F/C/P snacks and i have included dairy in her suggestions (but removed grains). She came back and asked me for what the rationale was for including it in her diet as wouldn't that stimulate her antibodies further? Tbh I want to give her a well reasoned reply other than that ...well....I am not sure. If she feels well on it then i think she should carry on but I think she wants a more scientific reply. Thank you!

HLP

You mentioned she gets very tired after just a small meal. Sugar (fruit/honey/actual sugar) takes way less energy to digest than starchy carbs. Experiment with a low starch meal to see if her energy is better. If she doesn't get enough sugar with her protein it sets her up for hypoglycemia which never feels good. Very little water drinking would be on my list of fixes too. Fresh orange juice would be a good addition for her. You get enough "water" from food but could use a little if she is eating very concentrated foods like cheese or dried fruit. People with hypothyroidism don't hang on the either sugar or salt well and this is why water is not recommended. Is constipation an issue? If so, Cascara would be good and I have found it strengthens lung function at the same time. Sulmedol by Now or Flowers of Sulphur would help digestion. How does she sleep? Healing requires effective sleep. @tca300 has some very good dietary ideas.

Last edited: