Death from supplements

PolishSun

llison Hayes
Born March 6th, 1930 – Died Feb. 27th, 1977

Allison Hayes appeared on quite a few television shows and movies, mainly B-movies, in her short career, but never seemed be able to break into the big time. But because of the films that she did make, cult horror fans have always remembered here. With films like Roger Corman’s The Undead (1957) or The Hypnotic Eye (1960), or probably her most famous, Attack of the 50-Foot Woman (1958), she has made a definitely impact on the horror genre. One that will never be forgotten.

Unfortunately, her life was much more dramatic than the movies she appeared in. The last decade of her life, she was battling severe health issues, even having to walk with a cane. The pain was so bad, there were times that she had even thought of taking her own life. It didn’t help that the doctors didn’t seem to take her symptoms seriously. But after some of her own research, she discovered that the calcium supplements that she had been taken for some time, contained high levels of lead, which was causing her to suffer from lead poisoning. She was later diagnosed with leukemia. But before passing away, she had mounted a campaign to have the FDA ban the import and sale of this supplement that she had been taking, and eventually won in 1976.

llison Hayes
Born March 6th, 1930 – Died Feb. 27th, 1977

Allison Hayes appeared on quite a few television shows and movies, mainly B-movies, in her short career, but never seemed be able to break into the big time. But because of the films that she did make, cult horror fans have always remembered here. With films like Roger Corman’s The Undead (1957) or The Hypnotic Eye (1960), or probably her most famous, Attack of the 50-Foot Woman (1958), she has made a definitely impact on the horror genre. One that will never be forgotten.

Unfortunately, her life was much more dramatic than the movies she appeared in. The last decade of her life, she was battling severe health issues, even having to walk with a cane. The pain was so bad, there were times that she had even thought of taking her own life. It didn’t help that the doctors didn’t seem to take her symptoms seriously. But after some of her own research, she discovered that the calcium supplements that she had been taken for some time, contained high levels of lead, which was causing her to suffer from lead poisoning. She was later diagnosed with leukemia. But before passing away, she had mounted a campaign to have the FDA ban the import and sale of this supplement that she had been taking, and eventually won in 1976.

So interesting Sophia! I am linking this to my "Slippery Slope Suppliments" thread.

"A diet of milk and fruit, or milk and meat, provides a nutritional balance with generous amounts of calcium and magnesium. Leafy vegetables are a very rich source of magnesium, but they are also a potential source of large amounts of lead and other toxins. In 1960, many people, including the U.S.government, were advocating the use of a largely vegetarian diet for children, because of the amount of radioactive strontium in milk. I compared the amount of strontium in a diet of vegetables that would provide the necessary quantity of calcium and protein, and it was clear that vegetables were the worst source of radioactive strontium, because their ratio of strontium to calcium was much higher than the ratio in milk. The cows were concentrating calcium and protein from the contaminated plant foods, eliminating much of the strontium. This principle still applies to the toxins that are currently found in the U.S. food supply.
Milk has many protective effects besides providing calcium.
Many babies are being given milk substitutes (health food drinks) made from soy or rice, with terrible consequences. The same products used by adults have less disastrous effects in the short term, but are still likely to contribute to degeneration and dementia." -Ray Peat

Apple

RP says all suppliments have some level of risk. He says egg shell calcium is safest and oyster shell calcium would be next safest.
I was about to buy some calcium supplement, when checked ingredients, there were lots weird stuff including mineral oils...

Ingredients​

3 Coated Caplets: Calcium (as Calcium Carbonate) 1000 mg (100% Daily Value); Magnesium (as Magnesium Oxide) 400 mg (100% Daily Value); Zinc (as Zinc Sulfate) 15 mg (100% Daily Value); Maltodextrin; Talc; Citric Acid; Croscarmellose; Hypromellose; Titanium Dioxide Color; Vegetable Magnesium Stearate; Mineral Oil; Vegetable Glycerin; Triethyl Citrate; Polysorbate 80; Poloxamer; Natural Palm Leaf Glaze

I was about to buy some calcium supplement, when checked ingredients, there were lots weird stuff including mineral oils...

Ingredients​

3 Coated Caplets: Calcium (as Calcium Carbonate) 1000 mg (100% Daily Value); Magnesium (as Magnesium Oxide) 400 mg (100% Daily Value); Zinc (as Zinc Sulfate) 15 mg (100% Daily Value); Maltodextrin; Talc; Citric Acid; Croscarmellose; Hypromellose; Titanium Dioxide Color; Vegetable Magnesium Stearate; Mineral Oil; Vegetable Glycerin; Triethyl Citrate; Polysorbate 80; Poloxamer; Natural Palm Leaf Glaze

That is a lot of crap!

"Purity is important. It’s best to choose calcium supplements with labels that state “purified” or, if you’re in the U.S., have the USP (United States Pharmacopeia) symbol. Avoid supplements made from unrefined oyster shell, bone meal, or dolomite that don’t have the USP symbol because they may contain high levels of lead or other toxic metals."

Birdie

Ingredients​

There is a website that one of our members started to help people choose the supplements with lower or less toxic excipients.

Directory of foods and supplements without questionable additives - Toxinless

Apple

There is a website that one of our members started to help people choose the supplements with lower or less toxic excipients.

Directory of foods and supplements without questionable additives - Toxinless
Usefull website. Thanks for sharing

InChristAlone

Eggshells can also have lead. Particularly the "healthy" pasture raised ones as lead is in our soils from leaded gasoline, lead paint, etc.

Birdie

Eggshells can also have lead. Particularly the "healthy" pasture raised ones as lead is in our soils from leaded gasoline, lead paint, etc.
interesting

I posted a Ray Peat interview, I think on my Slippery Slope Suppliments thread where he said because the egg shells are newly made that they have far less built up, than say, bones from old cows. For the same reason he said oyster shells have more heavy metals being older species. I wonder about coral calcium now?

I think it is the backyard "home grown" eggs that have lead, not commercial organic pasture raised eggs. More the reason to make your own egg shell calcium.

InChristAlone

Yeah I just refuse to use any calcium supplement, rather get vitamin D to increase calcium absorption from my normal diet. It only takes a grain of sand equivalent of lead to poison a child.

Yeah I just refuse to use any calcium supplement, rather get vitamin D to increase calcium absorption from my normal diet. It only takes a grain of sand equivalent of lead to poison a child.

I am with you, I don't suppliment calcium either, milk does the trick.

K

Kayaker

I think it is the backyard "home grown" eggs that have lead, not commercial organic pasture raised eggs. More the reason to make your own egg shell calcium.

I wouldn't risk it either way. How do you test eggshells for heavy metals?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals