Cyproheptadine & Bodybuilding - ZERO Pumps?

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
yeah me too bro, but consider this - to achieve big lifts/high reps in the gym one needs to tap into the sympathetic nervous system (thats why its hard to lift a max. weight without warm up sets for example)
cypro is very good at turning off the stress response/sympathetic activation, thats kinda why we love it so much

Ah yessss - very good points here indeed. It is definitely calming.

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Can someone please explain is this from Cyproheptadine?!?!

At 12 noon today, I experienced a MASSIVE headache, and extreme slowness of the mind, slurred speech and brain fog.... No issues with energy though.

I was making sure to get plenty of sugar, literally had over 400 grams of carbs by 3pm and it still didn't help. It's 7pm and I still feel super verbally incompetent and got this massive cold headache.... It almost feels related to vasodilation/vasoconstriction.

I even tried having Thiamine 25mg but it didn't really seem to help.

This was after using cypro for 3 nights in a row up to 4mg.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Exactly right. For some reason it makes my muscles ULTRA weak, zero pump and just plain bad. Even right now, I can barely even get a good contraction at rest....

I thought it may be due to its calcium channel blocking effect?

@haidut?

I think cypro definitely helps with strength and endurance as it blocks formation of lactic acid and prevents the so-called "central fatigue". It does cause sedation but once that effect wears off with chronic use all that remains is the ergogenic effects. Try it for a week or two and you will see.

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
If this is what H1 activation causes:

• Potentiate and Activate GABA release (1) - is Ca2+ dependent.
  • Inhibit or Stimulate Noradrenaline Activity, enhances norepinephrine and glutamate especially when H(3)'s are blocked. (2) (3) (4)
  • Inhibit Potassium-evoked serotonin release. (5)
  • Increases phospholipase C and PKC (Protein Kinase C)-induced NT release. (6)
  • Increases tyrosine hydroxylase (and thus production of dopamine from tyrosine). (7)
  • Increases cortisol, ACTH, beta-endorphin and Prolactin release. (8) (9) (10)
  • Increases neuronal nNOS, iNOS and eNOS (nitric oxide synthases, increases N.O) (11)
  • Nitric Oxide is partly increased by histamine through Ca2+, although other channels may be involved as well.
  • Upregulation of Alpha-Adrenergic Receptors and Activity (12)
  • Amplifies NMDA-induced depolarization. (13)
  • Induces Calcium Channel induced cAMP (cyclic adenosine monophosphate) and Cytosolic Ca2+ concentrations. (14) (15)
  • Increases and Amplifies Glutamate Release (16)
  • Increases Acetylcholine Release (17)
  • Increases GnRH (Gonadotropin-Releasing-Hormone) and thus stimulates production of sex hormones (18).
  • Inhibits growth hormone release. (19)
  • Stimulates Oxytocin Release. (20) (21)

Then cypro would likely induce the opposite of the above?

TripleOG

Been cutting and I find cypro to be a great aid. I only take it the nights of training days, depending on symptoms. Gym performance has actually improved, which doesn't normally happen when I cut.

aquaman

I have been using Cyproheptadine for the past few days in the evenings, around 4mg.

I have been noticing complete absence/lack of PUMPS in the gym. Literally feel so flat and weak.

What's the actual mechanism of action here?

Thanks!

How many supps are you currently taking?

4mg of cypro is very high, try 1mg (2mg makes me feel crap the next day)

aquaman

Can someone please explain is this from Cyproheptadine?!?!

At 12 noon today, I experienced a MASSIVE headache, and extreme slowness of the mind, slurred speech and brain fog.... No issues with energy though.

I was making sure to get plenty of sugar, literally had over 400 grams of carbs by 3pm and it still didn't help. It's 7pm and I still feel super verbally incompetent and got this massive cold headache.... It almost feels related to vasodilation/vasoconstriction.

I even tried having Thiamine 25mg but it didn't really seem to help.

This was after using cypro for 3 nights in a row up to 4mg.

As above, 4mg is a huge dose. Try much lower.

Every day I seem to see you posting about a new supplement. Maybe you’re taking too many (and too much of each), and/or mixing them up too much.

brix

Been cutting and I find cypro to be a great aid. I only take it the nights of training days, depending on symptoms. Gym performance has actually improved, which doesn't normally happen when I cut.

How does it help with cutting? Feel like it would be great for bulking due to the hunger effect.

TripleOG

How does it help with cutting? Feel like it would be great for bulking due to the hunger effect.

Best way I can describe is it sort of "resets" the high stressed state I typically get when cutting. Sleep quality, digestion, hunger, mental clarity has remained intact. In the past, they've plummeted as time went on.

I keep an eye on calorie and macro intake. I also make it a point to keep TDEE as high as possible.

So far so good.

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
I was literally losing weight on Cyproheptadine - even though I was eating upwards of 700 grams of carbs per day! It definitely reduced water retention, probably because it was altering my already VERY low aldosterone and cortisol.
But somehow it is a cure for my PSSD when it wears off - 4 days after using it - it completely feels like it fixes my PSSD.

Mr.Tayto

I have been using Cyproheptadine for the past few days in the evenings, around 4mg.

I have been noticing complete absence/lack of PUMPS in the gym. Literally feel so flat and weak.

What's the actual mechanism of action here?

Thanks!

Cyproheptadine can increase prolactin and lowers hgh. I found the same effect with me aswell. Lack of pumps and motivation. I know alot of people on this forum rave on about but doesnt do anything beneficial for me, if anything it set me back a bit. I would even go as far to say that perhaps it might even lower T but im only speculating.

There is some studies confirming this also just cant seem to find yhem at the moment.

Cyproheptadine - Increases Prolactin?

Kartoffel

@haidut You mentioned that doses up to 2mg will tend to lower prolactin, but that doses > 2 or 4mg can raise prolactin due to dopamine antagonism. Many people have repeated this claim in several threads, but so far I have never seen any study demonstrating that, and as far as I can see you haven't cited anything, either. Do you know of any study/trial where they actually reported raised prolactin?

Cyproheptadine can increase prolactin and lowers hgh. I found the same effect with me aswell. Lack of pumps and motivation. I know alot of people on this forum rave on about but doesnt do anything beneficial for me, if anything it set me back a bit. I would even go as far to say that perhaps it might even lower T but im only speculating.
There is some studies confirming this also just cant seem to find yhem at the moment.

The studies in the thread you linked to show prolactin levels in response to TRH injection. Basal levels were lowered by cyproheptadine, and in hyperprolactinemia even very large doses of cypro lower prolactin very drastically. Even metergoline does not prevent a prolactine increase after TRH stimulation.

J Reprod Med. 1987 Feb;32(2):115-9.
Metergoline as an inhibitor of prolactin release.
Caballero A Sr, Mena P, Caballero-Díaz JL, Caballero-Asensi A.
Abstract
In a randomized, double-blind study, 12 and 16 mg of metergoline and 5 mg of bromoergocriptine were given daily to three groups of 100 women each for ten consecutive days to prevent lactation. Excellent or good results were obtained in 86%, 90% and 83%, respectively. Serum prolactin (PRL) levels were evaluated in three settings. The first was after a single dose in four groups of patients (4, 6 and 8 mg of metergoline and 2.5 mg of bromoergocriptine were studied for ten hours). Second, for a study of the suckling reflex, PRL levels were measured 15, 30 and 60 minutes after breast stimulation in four groups of five patients each: two groups on the fourth postpartum day with and without metergoline treatment and two groups on the eighth postpartum day (the reflex was suppressed in the two groups treated with metergoline). Third, serum PRL levels rose after the intravenous administration of 200 mg of thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH) in another two groups of ten patients, one treated with metergoline and the other not so treated. TRH stimulation was not blocked in the treated groups.

Last edited:

Waynish

I've seen others report this too. Making flesh softer and sort of pudgier within a day. The mechanisms of these drugs may not be understood in their root causes.

Isn't
I've seen others report this too. Making flesh softer and sort of pudgier within a day. The mechanisms of these drugs may not be understood in their root causes.
Isn't that what a low-serotonin state looks like though? Less fibrosis= softer tissues

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals