Acute Physical Symptoms Of Anxiety/Panic Despite Mood

vrd2107

I have suffered debilitating anxiety/panic for 6 or so years now but had success in reducing the actual mental state of panic through psychotherapeutic intervention and practicing self-awareness. Despite this, I have suffered from the acute physical symptoms of anxiety/panic even when my circumstances/mood don't match this physiological reaction. Basically, I feel like my body is in fight or flight mode for prolonged amounts of time. This resolved for the most part late last year after I took a dose of LSD, but now it's back. Even when my mood is elevated.

I have an elevated pulse/racing heart all day, feel short of breath, nausea, complete lack of appetite, and what feels like a prolonged cortisol and adrenaline rush pulsing through my body for hours on end.

In the past when I had these issues, I was put on a benzodiazepine (lorazepam) but would like to avoid these drugs because becoming physically dependent on them is not an option for me. I have been taking cyproheptadine, but it has not mitigated these symptoms at all. Does anyone know if there is anything else that I could try? (Don't think an LSD trip is going to help this time around, ha).

You'll get more useful responses if you describe your diet, lifestyle, etc.

Ray Peat often mentions that hypothyroid people can have high levels of adrenaline.

In addition, in my experience, B vitamin deficiencies can cause the symptoms you mention. For ~2.5 years, I've had bad adrenergic reactions (racing pulse, elevated BP, shortness of breath, etc.) to mild physical stressors. Sufficient B1 can prevent these reactions.

I know what this condition can do to you. I hope you find a way out, and soon.

OP
vrd2107

vrd2107

I’m not hypothyroid. I have an insane metabolism (sugar burning), I eat intuitively (someone I know once called me natural peatarian lol). Basically, I eat all categories of food but because I am south east asian it usually ends up being mostly meat, vegetables, and rice (don’t plan on giving this up). Don’t eat much bread. I do eat lots of full fat dairy, ice cream, cheese, sugar etc. I enjoy food! I enjoy the occasional glass of wine (every 4-6 months, or longer) but I don’t drink much alcohol beyond that.

I’ve had my metabolic rate tested yearly, and if I do nothing (lay in bed all day) I naturally burn 1,800 - 2,100 calories per day. Meaning anytime I am up and doing more than this, I’m burning even more calories.

Before corona I had a stressful job where I was putting in 12-14 hour days, 6-7 days a week. Now, that corona has hit, I’m not doing that anymore so that’s been a big lifestyle change. I’ve been healthy most of my life aside from serious depressive episodes triggered by a sexual assault in college and a psychologically abusive relationship.

I’m thin (probably under 105 lbs at this point) and petite (read: short) and when my appetite isn’t thrown out of whack from this issue I’m having right now, I eat A LOT. I have to, given my metabolic rate.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals