COLLAGEN CONFUSION

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Hi Dr. Peat!

I have been putting the Great Lakes collagen in my coffees in the morning, but wondering if the heavy metals in the powdered in gelatin isn't worth it. Do what are your thoughts on that?

"Powdered gelatin causes digestive problems for some people; if it has a noticeably good effect, then it’s valuable. Usually, I think it just spoils the taste of coffee." -Ray Peat

ME to Ray Peat:

Good to know! Collagen powder has been a positive for me. I agree the thick gelatin spoils the taste of the coffee, but the collagen powder is unnoticable to be, but I put frothed milk in my coffee and cinnamon sugar on top so it is a treat and REALLY balances my blood sugar. I had oxtail bone broth today and chicken wings last night so I skipped yesterday and today. Here is a pic of how my coffee looks. I bought this bone marrow collagen, and wondered if it is MORE beneficial than standard gelatin, do you know?

"Marrow contains little collagen, but lots of iron. Cartilage extract is good, but I don’t think it’s good to include marrow." Ray Peat

Attachments

• 20220302_122943.jpg
    20220302_122943.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220302_122933.jpg
    20220302_122933.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220121_174341.jpg
    20220121_174341.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 9

BibleBeliever

"Some of the clearest evidence of the protective effects of saturated fats has been published by A.A. Nanji's group, showing that they can reverse the inflammation, necrosis, and fibrosis of alcoholic liver disease, even with continued alcohol consumption, while fish oil and other unsaturated fats exacerbate the problem (Nanji, et al., 2001). Glycine protects against fat accumulation in alcohol-induced liver injury (Senthilkumar, et al., 2003), suggesting that dietary gelatin would complement the protective effects of saturated fats." -Ray Peat
Thank you for providing these useful quotes, I notice you do this in other threads sometimes too.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thank you for providing these useful quotes, I notice you do this in other threads sometimes too.
I am glad they have fallen on the right person! When I read his articles I find interesting things that I get anxious to share. I find when his stuff is broken into smaller portions it is easier to digest :)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
ME:
Good morning Dr. Peat!

Is there such a thing as too much bone broth? Can too much of is cause any harm?

RAY PEAT
Bone broth made with marrow bones can be harmful, because of the iron and fat. Cartilage and skin make the best gelatinous broth.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
ME:
Good morning Dr. Peat!

Is there such a thing as too much bone broth? Can too much of is cause any harm?

RAY PEAT
"Bone broth made with marrow bones can be harmful, because of the iron and fat. Cartilage and skin make the best gelatinous broth."

ME:
Oh wow, and here I thought bone marrow was a good thing. I love roasted bone marrow, is it something I should avoid for good health?

RAY PEAT
"The fats are easily oxidized by iron."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
ME:
Oh wow, and here I thought bone marrow was a good thing. I love roasted bone marrow, is it something I should avoid for good health?

RAY PEAT
"The fats are easily oxidized by iron."

ME:
"Thank you for clarifying. Back to my original question, is there any drawbacks to drinking a homemade gelatinous bone broth, cooked under 3 hours, three or more times a day, bone marrow free of course?"

RAY PEAT:
"I don’t know of any drawbacks."

OP
Rinse & rePeat

Attachments

• 20210619_190523.jpg
    20210619_190523.jpg
    472.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210209_164959.jpg
    20210209_164959.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 10

BibleBeliever

I am glad they have fallen on the right person! When I read his articles I find interesting things that I get anxious to share. I find when his stuff is broken into smaller portions it is easier to digest :)
Thank you. Agreed digesting is very good when easy.
Do you know where you found that gelatin quotes to be read in their entirety?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thank you. Agreed digesting is very good when easy.
Do you know where you found that gelatin quotes to be read in their entirety?
Yes they were to me this morning. I attached them for you!

Attachments

• 20220304_190204.jpg
    20220304_190204.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220304_190311.jpg
    20220304_190311.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220304_190545.jpg
    20220304_190545.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 26

BibleBeliever

Thank you, you have been useful to me.

Do you know where you found these quotes too?

"
"Although I pointed out a long time ago the antithyroid effects of excessive cysteine and tryptophan from eating only the muscle meats, and have been recommending gelatinous broth at bedtime to stop nocturnal stress, it took me many years to begin to experiment with large amounts of gelatin in my diet. Focusing on the various toxic effects of tryptophan and cysteine, I decided that using commercial gelatin, instead of broth, would be helpful for the experiment. For years I hadn't slept through a whole night without waking, and I was in the habit of having some juice or a little thyroid to help me go back to sleep. The first time I had several grams of gelatin just before bedtime, I slept without interruption for about 9 hours. I mentioned this effect to some friends, and later they told me that friends and relatives of theirs had recovered from long-standing pain problems (arthritic and rheumatic and possibly neurological) in just a few days after taking 10 or 15 grams of gelatin each day." -Ray Peat

"Some of the clearest evidence of the protective effects of saturated fats has been published by A.A. Nanji's group, showing that they can reverse the inflammation, necrosis, and fibrosis of alcoholic liver disease, even with continued alcohol consumption, while fish oil and other unsaturated fats exacerbate the problem (Nanji, et al., 2001). Glycine protects against fat accumulation in alcohol-induced liver injury (Senthilkumar, et al., 2003), suggesting that dietary gelatin would complement the protective effects of saturated fats." -Ray Peat

"

Thank you for your time and effort.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Although I pointed out a long time ago the antithyroid effects of excessive cysteine and tryptophan from eating only the muscle meats, and have been recommending gelatinous broth at bedtime to stop nocturnal stress, it took me many years to begin to experiment with large amounts of gelatin in my diet. Focusing on the various toxic effects of tryptophan and cysteine, I decided that using commercial gelatin, instead of broth, would be helpful for the experiment. For years I hadn't slept through a whole night without waking, and I was in the habit of having some juice or a little thyroid to help me go back to sleep. The first time I had several grams of gelatin just before bedtime, I slept without interruption for about 9 hours. I mentioned this effect to some friends, and later they told me that friends and relatives of theirs had recovered from long-standing pain problems (arthritic and rheumatic and possibly neurological) in just a few days after taking 10 or 15 grams of gelatin each day." -Ray Peat
I got the one, above, from his article on "Gelatin, Stress & Longetivity". I am not sure about the other one right now. I will try to remember tomorrow :)

Attachments

• 20220304_194200.jpg
    20220304_194200.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 11

amd

If I drink coffee (always with milk), I can't have it without gelatin. Once tried, you can't go back. In terms of flavor, I rather have cocoa.

76er

fwiw:

My morning hot coffee latte is thus:

- 15g of gelatin (NOW brand – bloomed with ~ounce of milk)
- 2 tsp of cocoa (Bensdorp 22/24 Fat Dutched Cocoa)
- dash of salt
- 8 ounces of milk (heated in the microwave).
- 8 ounce of strong coffee (french pressed – fine ground)
- 2 tsp of molasses (Plantation Blackstrap Molasses, Organic)
- 1 tbsp of maple syrup (Local – New England)

I then have two more cold lattes later in the day but with no gelatin.

I do use a scoop of collagen to make my daily banana pancakes.

Here is the batter:

- 2 duck eggs
- 1/4 cup of non-fat powered milk (Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 scoop of Hydrolyzed collagen (Zen Principles)
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of non-aluminum baking soda

Have you tried the orange can gelatin? Since reading the comparison of the Great Lakes green can (collagen) and orange can (gelatin) aniciete posted, I started making my gelatin tea with the orange can now. I am allergic to flouride so that bit of info was good for me to know. I just "bloom" the gelatin and pour a cup of boiling water over it and stir till it is dissolved. I sweeten mine with raw honey and some orange marmalade or honey and a sprig of mint, or make a tea out of the first one with chamomile or casacara and add in the honey and/or marmalade. I could drink them all day! I do make weekly homemade bone broths, a corn and soy free chicken one and a beef oxtail or lamb knuckle one. I use EPIC pork rinds crushed and baked into meatloaf or in taco meat (which i posted the recipe for on my "Easy Peaty Proteins" thread). I also make corn and soy free chicken wings almost weekly which i posted the recipe for on my "Gelatenous Chicken Broth & Wings" thread. For my wings I boil them to remove the PUFA's then slather them with a little refined coconut oil before broiling to take care of any residual PUFA'S. I also make nachos and tacos out of the EPIC pork rinds. The epic pork rinds are very low in fat and I toss them in a little refined coconut oil before making something out of them, like Ray Peat refrying his pork rinds and bacon in coconut oil to "displace" their PUFA'S.
Your recipes look fantastic, as always! I only see pictures...do you have the recipes themselves?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
If I drink coffee (always with milk), I can't have it without gelatin. Once tried, you can't go back. In terms of flavor, I rather have cocoa.
I agree with you. I haven't put gelatin in my coffee the last two days because I was having homemade bone broth both days and wings and didn't want to overdo the gelatin. I found that I didn't feel as good from the coffee without it.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Your recipes look fantastic, as always! I only see pictures...do you have the recipes themselves?
Yes!! You've been missing out!

PEATY PROTEINS

PEATY FRUITS & VEGETABLES

NO CREAM ICE CREAM

CHICKEN BONE BROTH & WINGS

PEATY SWEETS & SAUCES

Yes!! You've been missing out!

PEATY PROTEINS

PEATY FRUITS & VEGETABLES

NO CREAM ICE CREAM

CHICKEN BONE BROTH & WINGS

PEATY SWEETS & SAUCES