COLLAGEN CONFUSION

Gustav3Y

Surely they don't need, but ironically some of the most celebrated and admired young women did a little or a lot to their look.
I not only speaking about the ones in the mass media, even if those are the most easy to tell because we have so many before and after images.
I was rather surprised to hear x person locally had this and that done (young women), I would not have known unless told by them.

CiggyTardust

I tried the Great Lakes collagen (green can) and it gave me a mild reaction--nervousness, throat felt a little constricted, uncomfortble for an hour or so... similar to shellfish but far more mild. Not really sure why? I can drink homemade bone broths typically without issue, although I did once have a similar reaction from pig's feet soup. I need more connective tissue in my diet so not sure what to do here... anyone have any suggestions? Try the gelatin instead?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I tried the Great Lakes collagen (green can) and it gave me a mild reaction--nervousness, throat felt a little constricted, uncomfortble for an hour or so... similar to shellfish but far more mild. Not really sure why? I can drink homemade bone broths typically without issue, although I did once have a similar reaction from pig's feet soup. I need more connective tissue in my diet so not sure what to do here... anyone have any suggestions? Try the gelatin instead?

Have you tried the orange can gelatin? Since reading the comparison of the Great Lakes green can (collagen) and orange can (gelatin) aniciete posted, I started making my gelatin tea with the orange can now. I am allergic to flouride so that bit of info was good for me to know. I just "bloom" the gelatin and pour a cup of boiling water over it and stir till it is dissolved. I sweeten mine with raw honey and some orange marmalade or honey and a sprig of mint, or make a tea out of the first one with chamomile or casacara and add in the honey and/or marmalade. I could drink them all day! I do make weekly homemade bone broths, a corn and soy free chicken one and a beef oxtail or lamb knuckle one. I use EPIC pork rinds crushed and baked into meatloaf or in taco meat (which i posted the recipe for on my "Easy Peaty Proteins" thread). I also make corn and soy free chicken wings almost weekly which i posted the recipe for on my "Gelatenous Chicken Broth & Wings" thread. For my wings I boil them to remove the PUFA's then slather them with a little refined coconut oil before broiling to take care of any residual PUFA'S. I also make nachos and tacos out of the EPIC pork rinds. The epic pork rinds are very low in fat and I toss them in a little refined coconut oil before making something out of them, like Ray Peat refrying his pork rinds and bacon in coconut oil to "displace" their PUFA'S.

Attachments

• 20211111_173150.jpg
    20211111_173150.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210708_124153.jpg
    20210708_124153.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210209_164959.jpg
    20210209_164959.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210217_162414.jpg
    20210217_162414.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210619_190523.jpg
    20210619_190523.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210705_212829.jpg
    20210705_212829.jpg
    512.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210710_125813.jpg
    20210710_125813.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210914_213314.jpg
    20210914_213314.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20211025_123429.jpg
    20211025_123429.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

CiggyTardust

Have you tried the orange can gelatin? Since reading the comparison of the Great Lakes green can (collagen) and orange can (gelatin) aneciete posted, I started making my gelatin tea with the orange can now. I am allergic to flouride so that bit of info was good for me to know. I just "bloom" the gelatin and pour a cup of boiling water over it and stir till it is dissolved. I sweeten mine with raw honey and some orange marmalade or honey and a sprig of mint, or make a tea out of the first one with chamomile or casacara and add in the honey and/or marmalade. I could drink them all day! I do make weekly homemade bone broths, a corn and soy free chicken one and a beef oxtail or lamb knuckle one. I use EPIC pork rinds crushed and baked into meatloaf or in taco meat (which i posted the recipe for on my "Easy Peaty Proteins" thread). I also make corn and soy free chicken wings almost weekly which i posted the recipe for on my "Gelatenous Chicken Broth & Wings" thread. For my wings I boil them to remove the PUFA's then slather them with a little refined coconut oil before broiling to take care of any residual PUFA'S. I also make nachos and tacos out of the EPIC pork rinds. The epic pork rinds are very low in fat and I toss them in a little refined coconut oil before making something out of them, like Ray Peat refrying his pork rinds and bacon in coconut oil to "displace" their PUFA'S.
Wow, epic! Your family is blessed to have someone as conscientious as you.

I haven't tried the gelatin but will try it out next if the collagen keeps bothering me. Where did that info about fluoride content in the green can come from?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Wow, epic! Your family is blessed to have someone as conscientious as you.

I haven't tried the gelatin but will try it out next if the collagen keeps bothering me. Where did that info about fluoride content in the green can come from?

It was posted on page one of this thread, but I don't know where the analysis originally came from.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Using Environmental Protection Agency Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry (EPA 6020A, 3015) at 8 parts per billion, they discovered the following from 28 brands that were evaluated:

64% tested positive for measurable levels of arsenic37% tested positive for measurable levels of lead34% tested positive for trace levels of mercury17% tested positive for measurable levels of cadmium

We made sure to include the results from this report in our overall findings below, but note that Ancient Nutrition, Bulletproof, Orgain & Preferred Elements had levels of lead above what the State of California recommends as safe. Ancient Nutrition, Correxiko, Orgain, Organixx, Reserveage Nutrition, & Vital Proteins had trace amounts of mercury. Bulletproof tested high for Cadmium."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"These brands could be using animal sourcing from a Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation (CAFO), where animals are in cramped conditions. This makes them more likely to get sick, which later increases the need for more antibiotics. These cramped situations are also known as “factory farms” when discussed. Experts say that the increase of antibiotic use in animals is linked to a rise in antibiotic-resistant bacteria which is infecting millions of Americans every year. Brands that did not respond to our inquiries on social media about lead levels also went here.

*Ancient Nutrition Multi-Collagen Peptides: tested for trace levels of mercury

*Beachbody Collagen Peptides

*BioSil Advanced Collagen Generator

*Bulletproof Collagen Protein Chocolate: Has levels of lead and cadmium above what the State of California says is safe.

*Correxiko Marine Collagen, Unflavored: has tested for trace amounts of mercuryIsopure

*Unflavored Collagen Peptides

*Orgain Grassfed Pasture Raised Collagen Peptides: This brand tested for lead amounts above what the State of California says is safe. And also had trace amounts of mercury via labs mentioned.

*Organixx Collagen: This brand tested for trace amounts of mercury via labs

*Picnik Collagen Creamer

*Perfect Keto Collagen Peptides

*Modere Collagen Peptides

*Reserveage Nutrition Collagen Replenish Powder: Tested for trace amounts of mercury

*Vital Proteins Unflavored Collagen Peptides: This brand tested for trace amounts of mercury. After analyzing the California Attorney General’s office we noticed that Vital Proteins has numerous 60-day notices from consumer & consumer groups to the Attorney General. These notices are a precursor to a lawsuit.

*Vital Proteins Beef Gelatin Powder

*Youtheory Collagen Advanced Formula Tablets: has between 0.5 ug/day and 15 ug/day of lead per their prop. 65 warning (lower lead warning)"

livesimply

"These brands could be using animal sourcing from a Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation (CAFO), where animals are in cramped conditions. This makes them more likely to get sick, which later increases the need for more antibiotics. These cramped situations are also known as “factory farms” when discussed. Experts say that the increase of antibiotic use in animals is linked to a rise in antibiotic-resistant bacteria which is infecting millions of Americans every year. Brands that did not respond to our inquiries on social media about lead levels also went here.

*Ancient Nutrition Multi-Collagen Peptides: tested for trace levels of mercury

*Beachbody Collagen Peptides

*BioSil Advanced Collagen Generator

*Bulletproof Collagen Protein Chocolate: Has levels of lead and cadmium above what the State of California says is safe.

*Correxiko Marine Collagen, Unflavored: has tested for trace amounts of mercuryIsopure

*Unflavored Collagen Peptides

*Orgain Grassfed Pasture Raised Collagen Peptides: This brand tested for lead amounts above what the State of California says is safe. And also had trace amounts of mercury via labs mentioned.

*Organixx Collagen: This brand tested for trace amounts of mercury via labs

*Picnik Collagen Creamer

*Perfect Keto Collagen Peptides

*Modere Collagen Peptides

*Reserveage Nutrition Collagen Replenish Powder: Tested for trace amounts of mercury

*Vital Proteins Unflavored Collagen Peptides: This brand tested for trace amounts of mercury. After analyzing the California Attorney General’s office we noticed that Vital Proteins has numerous 60-day notices from consumer & consumer groups to the Attorney General. These notices are a precursor to a lawsuit.

*Vital Proteins Beef Gelatin Powder

*Youtheory Collagen Advanced Formula Tablets: has between 0.5 ug/day and 15 ug/day of lead per their prop. 65 warning (lower lead warning)"

Thanks for posting this!

OP
Rinse & rePeat

Attachments

• clean-label-project_heavy-metals-test-results-collagen-brands.png
    clean-label-project_heavy-metals-test-results-collagen-brands.png
    66.1 KB · Views: 72
OP
Rinse & rePeat
"For a long time, gelatin's therapeutic effect in arthritis was assumed to result from its use in repairing the cartilage or other connective tissues around joints, simply because those tissues contain so much collagen. (Marketers suggest that eating cartilage or gelatin will build cartilage or other collagenous tissue.) Some of the consumed gelatin does get incorporated into the joint cartilage, but that is a slow process, and the relief of pain and inflammation is likely to be almost immediate, resembling the antiinflammatory effect of cortisol or aspirin." -Ray Peat

livesimply

Gotta love RP! :thumbup:

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"It happens that gelatin is a protein which contains no tryptophan, and only small amounts of cysteine, methionine, and histidine. Using gelatin as a major dietary protein is an easy way to restrict the amino acids that are associated with many of the problems of aging." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Some types of cell damage are prevented almost as well by alanine and proline as by glycine, so the use of gelatin, rather than glycine, is preferable, especially when the gelatin is associated with its normal biochemicals. For example, skin is a rich source of steroid hormones, and cartilage contains “Mead acid,” which is itself antiinflammatory." -Ray Peat

livesimply

"Some types of cell damage are prevented almost as well by alanine and proline as by glycine, so the use of gelatin, rather than glycine, is preferable, especially when the gelatin is associated with its normal biochemicals. For example, skin is a rich source of steroid hormones, and cartilage contains “Mead acid,” which is itself antiinflammatory." -Ray Peat
:thumbleft

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals