Cold After Niacin - Anyone Else?

webbt

After taking niacin I start feeling cold and particularly my hands and feet get very cold. Oral temp doesn't seem to drop.

Is this an idiosyncratic response or does everyone experience this?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
In the Niacin Groups it is reported that this is showing a person is low in Selenium. If you go to Kelsey's Telegram group I have linked below and search "cold hands" you will see discussion on it.

Peater

After taking niacin I start feeling cold and particularly my hands and feet get very cold. Oral temp doesn't seem to drop.

Is this an idiosyncratic response or does everyone experience this?
I got it yesterday after taking a high enough amount for a significant flush.

In the Niacin Groups it is reported that this is showing a person is low in Selenium. If you go to Kelsey's Telegram group I have linked below and search "cold hands" you will see discussion on it.

Isn't it more likely to be low blood sugar/stress response? I doubt I am deficient, I supplemented for quite a long time as part of trying iodine, and ate liver until recently.

OP
webbt

webbt

I used to supplement a good quality selenium supplement daily and back then my hands and feet would go cold from niacin still. Maybe something else is going on. If someone is running off of stress hormones and niacin lowers them, the body may not be used to running that way.

InChristAlone

Sounds like you were in fat oxidation, the niacin lowers fat oxidation so you need to have good liver health to store glycogen, without it niacin can cause a stress response. And then if sugar doesn't solve it I agree it could be selenium. If you continue to feed yourself enough carbs and work on liver health soon niacin will feel good.

OP
webbt

webbt

Sounds like you were in fat oxidation, the niacin lowers fat oxidation so you need to have good liver health to store glycogen, without it niacin can cause a stress response. And then if sugar doesn't solve it I agree it could be selenium. If you continue to feed yourself enough carbs and work on liver health soon niacin will feel good.
My recent dose of niacin was with two cans of evaporated milk, about 75 g carbs. It seems the shift in metabolism by the niacin is revealing a glucose oxidation problem.

InChristAlone

My recent dose of niacin was with two cans of evaporated milk, about 75 g carbs. It seems the shift in metabolism by the niacin is revealing a glucose oxidation problem.
Yes, it can be rough to realize you weren't oxidizing properly, happened to me a few weeks ago. It gets better!

Don

I get this too (cold) sometimes with a stronger flush response. Interesting.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals