Why would potatoes give me chills?

Ippodrom47

I had severe carotenemia/vitamin A overdose several months ago, and now avoid all high vitamin A foods. However, potatoes (not sweet potatoes, of course) seem to give me chills after eating them, I feel really cold, my hand and feet are cold, too. Doesn't matter if it's fried or baked skinless. Can it be from the small amounts of carotene in them or something else? Thanks!

VitoScaletta

Cold extremities are simply a sign of Hypometabolism. If this happens often I would suspect that your Thyroid function isn't the best.

I would add a bit of butter and salt with the potatoes, and a cup of OJ

Last edited:
OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

I only started noticing that after re-introducing potatoes to my diet after some time of not eating them. My body temperature is okay, though, which is strange. I indeed have low free T3 levels but didn't feel that cold until a couple of days ago.

minor9

Could it be low blood sugar from high insulin load of potatoes?

aliml

Potatoes contains Pot-II protein, shown to stimulate hormone cholecystokinin (CCK) release. CCK activates your stress response. CCK causes nausea and anxiety. In fact, in the research, it’s used to induce panic attacks in people. Cayenne pepper (capsaicin) prevents the effects of CCK.

Eberhardt

I have the same experience. After severe hypervitaminosis A, if I use potatoes as main carbs I get lots of chills. No idea why but even very white potatoes does it. I just switched to mainly soaked organic white basmati rice from india and pakistan (low arsen presumably).
Even pure white sugar doesnt have the potatoeeffect

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

I have the same experience. After severe hypervitaminosis A, if I use potatoes as main carbs I get lots of chills. No idea why but even very white potatoes does it. I just switched to mainly soaked organic white basmati rice from india and pakistan (low arsen presumably).
Even pure white sugar doesnt have the potatoeeffect
Thanks so much! Could you please elaborate a bit on how (and if) you resolved your vitamin A overdose? What's was your diet and what is it now? If you can go into as much detail as possible, I would be soo grateful as the condition is debilitating at times.

Eberhardt

Thanks so much! Could you please elaborate a bit on how (and if) you resolved your vitamin A overdose? What's was your diet and what is it now? If you can go into as much detail as possible, I would be soo grateful as the condition is debilitating at times.
Hey. Sorry for the late reply, Ivd had Corona for the last two weeks. I dont know if I can go as far as saying I've resolved it but I've at least been able to improve the situation and Im still working on it. My diet was sort of peatish - havent eaten pufa in more then 10 years. I guess I should say all peatish except I didnt really head his precautions on beta-caroteen. I ate a lot of it. I used to eat butter, coconutoil. prunes, rice, potatoes beaf lamb, oysters (fresh like maybe once a week), green leafy vegetables about a pound a day, 1-2 pounds of raw carrot, sweet potatoes, berries and dried berry powder from blueberries and hiprose, some dried nettle powder, a pound of cherry tomatoes, lot of regular potatoes and periodically chicken and beef liver maybe total a pound a week or a little less. I also ate asorted fruits like pears, bananas, peaches, plums cherries, watermelons, honeymelon, honey, white sugar, cheeses, liver pate, cucumber, chokolate (both milk chokolate and dark 95%), sausages, a sort of tortillas sometimes, a random serving of tomatoebeans, chili, curry, honey in liberal amounts, some aubergine and squash, some white button mushrooms, a lot of orange juice manily from cans, coke, sprite, seasalt, white sugar, blackcurrant juice, a bit of milk or gravy in my cooking, about 6 eggs daily, some random white fish, and a bit of sushi, sometimes clams. I aslo used to regularly supplement magnesium, calcium, zinc and sometimes low dose vitamin B (from peaty sources). as well as experiment with NDT, progesterone, pregnenelone, diamant, and metergoline and other serotonin blocker. and i used to take a bit of vitamin D. All in all I have calculated I averaged about 135.000IU of vitamin A daily from both beta-caroteen and retinoid sources. (the number is reached by using average conversion rate of beta caroteen to vitamin A). I also used to do some aspirin.

Now Im three years into detox. I have gradually narrowed my diet down and did a several month experiments with beans f.ex that left me with reduced bodytemperature and a bit of hair-shedding. First half year I kept eggs and orange juice, and also first 1.5 year included curcummin. Now I eat almost the same at all meals. Organic indian or pakistani white basmati rice that I soak and rince, some white potatoes, raw or fried semi-organic beef or ground beef, lambchops, fried or raw apples about 2 every day (also for fiber), one fried organic banana, minute amounts of coconut oil, about a spoon of white butter, seasalt, glacier water from glass bottles, and small amounts of ginger and honey if I feel sick-ish. I also might supplement a drop of B's from health natura and a 25mg dose of zinc if I feel sick like last week. And I do lots of grounding and try to get sunshine which for me feels good. also stopped almost all use of infrared light as it is triggering for me. Thats all I do. I feel better but my blood tests show theres still quite some way to go...I have much better night vision and bloodsugar control and less brainfog and pain. Bone swelling all gone, but still got lots of inflamation in my body - I had a complex situation so that part is heavily simplified for this writing. But also I have reduced my calory need by 20-25% ( have a tendency to underweight "naturally"). I also do a lot of grounding (on Clint Obers methods and thoughts) last 1.5 years and it has been lifechaning. without it I might seriously not have made it through, but who knows .. I try to stay grounded as much of the day as possible and sleep grounded both above me and below. I dont know how this helps you but this si about my current regime.
ps. I now get about 450 -700 units of vitamin A aday all sources included. so thats like a 99%reduction lol. Also my calcium intake is about 15% of what it used to and my teeth, hair and nails are much stronger. LOL (Ive also checked my serum calcium and PTH levels since I was worried about my low calcium but both are looking fine(!))

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

Hey. Sorry for the late reply, Ivd had Corona for the last two weeks. I dont know if I can go as far as saying I've resolved it but I've at least been able to improve the situation and Im still working on it. My diet was sort of peatish - havent eaten pufa in more then 10 years. I guess I should say all peatish except I didnt really head his precautions on beta-caroteen. I ate a lot of it. I used to eat butter, coconutoil. prunes, rice, potatoes beaf lamb, oysters (fresh like maybe once a week), green leafy vegetables about a pound a day, 1-2 pounds of raw carrot, sweet potatoes, berries and dried berry powder from blueberries and hiprose, some dried nettle powder, a pound of cherry tomatoes, lot of regular potatoes and periodically chicken and beef liver maybe total a pound a week or a little less. I also ate asorted fruits like pears, bananas, peaches, plums cherries, watermelons, honeymelon, honey, white sugar, cheeses, liver pate, cucumber, chokolate (both milk chokolate and dark 95%), sausages, a sort of tortillas sometimes, a random serving of tomatoebeans, chili, curry, honey in liberal amounts, some aubergine and squash, some white button mushrooms, a lot of orange juice manily from cans, coke, sprite, seasalt, white sugar, blackcurrant juice, a bit of milk or gravy in my cooking, about 6 eggs daily, some random white fish, and a bit of sushi, sometimes clams. I aslo used to regularly supplement magnesium, calcium, zinc and sometimes low dose vitamin B (from peaty sources). as well as experiment with NDT, progesterone, pregnenelone, diamant, and metergoline and other serotonin blocker. and i used to take a bit of vitamin D. All in all I have calculated I averaged about 135.000IU of vitamin A daily from both beta-caroteen and retinoid sources. (the number is reached by using average conversion rate of beta caroteen to vitamin A). I also used to do some aspirin.

Now Im three years into detox. I have gradually narrowed my diet down and did a several month experiments with beans f.ex that left me with reduced bodytemperature and a bit of hair-shedding. First half year I kept eggs and orange juice, and also first 1.5 year included curcummin. Now I eat almost the same at all meals. Organic indian or pakistani white basmati rice that I soak and rince, some white potatoes, raw or fried semi-organic beef or ground beef, lambchops, fried or raw apples about 2 every day (also for fiber), one fried organic banana, minute amounts of coconut oil, about a spoon of white butter, seasalt, glacier water from glass bottles, and small amounts of ginger and honey if I feel sick-ish. I also might supplement a drop of B's from health natura and a 25mg dose of zinc if I feel sick like last week. And I do lots of grounding and try to get sunshine which for me feels good. also stopped almost all use of infrared light as it is triggering for me. Thats all I do. I feel better but my blood tests show theres still quite some way to go...I have much better night vision and bloodsugar control and less brainfog and pain. Bone swelling all gone, but still got lots of inflamation in my body - I had a complex situation so that part is heavily simplified for this writing. But also I have reduced my calory need by 20-25% ( have a tendency to underweight "naturally"). I also do a lot of grounding (on Clint Obers methods and thoughts) last 1.5 years and it has been lifechaning. without it I might seriously not have made it through, but who knows .. I try to stay grounded as much of the day as possible and sleep grounded both above me and below. I dont know how this helps you but this si about my current regime.
ps. I now get about 450 -700 units of vitamin A aday all sources included. so thats like a 99%reduction lol. Also my calcium intake is about 15% of what it used to and my teeth, hair and nails are much stronger. LOL (Ive also checked my serum calcium and PTH levels since I was worried about my low calcium but both are looking fine(!))
Thanks for your reply! I hope you feel better now. It turns ous I also had corona a few weeks ago, discovered by a blood antibody test :)

Vinero

Potatoes have quite a bit of soluble fiber, which can cause a bile dump.
Bread and rice have almost no soluble fiber.
I eat whole wheat sourdough bread and white rice as my carb sources, and they digest perfectly. No gas, no bloating, no chills.
Whole wheat sourdough bread is very high in fiber, but it's mostly insoluble fiber which is the fiber Ray recommends. This type of fiber does not cause bacterial growth in the intestine and in fact helps to sweep the intestine clean. It also speeds up transit time and prevents constipation. I'd say the bread improves thryroid function.
Maybe some types of potatoes are better than others. Maybe try different varieties to see if one type doesn't cause chills and hypothyroid symptoms.

:M :B.

I have experienced the same with potatoes. upping my T4/T3 dose the last few weeks has helped. I also started adding a couple 2 or 3 tablespoons of white sugar to my mashers and that might be helping me out because of the fructose.

I've been baking the potatoes, then scooping them out into a bowl of warm cream/salt/sugar and then mashing.

SamYo123

Potatoes have quite a bit of soluble fiber, which can cause a bile dump.
Bread and rice have almost no soluble fiber.
I eat whole wheat sourdough bread and white rice as my carb sources, and they digest perfectly. No gas, no bloating, no chills.
Whole wheat sourdough bread is very high in fiber, but it's mostly insoluble fiber which is the fiber Ray recommends. This type of fiber does not cause bacterial growth in the intestine and in fact helps to sweep the intestine clean. It also speeds up transit time and prevents constipation. I'd say the bread improves thryroid function.
Maybe some types of potatoes are better than others. Maybe try different varieties to see if one type doesn't cause chills and hypothyroid symptoms.
"This type of fiber does not cause bacterial growth in the intestine and in fact helps to sweep the intestine clean. It also speeds up transit time and prevents constipation."

Whats the difference between mine and ur microbiome if I get ur results with only soluable fiber, such as oat bran? no affects with carrot salad

paymanz

i think it must be messing with lymphatic system around bowel. large granules of starch...
also phytochemicals and high phosphorus possibly.

peter88

The same happens to me. I figured it has to do with solanine because it happens a day or two after consuming.

youngsinatra

The same happens to me. I figured it has to do with solanine because it happens a day or two after consuming.
Thats my running hypothesis aswell. I think I don’t do well on most vegetables (esp. nightshades like tomatoes, bell peppers..) because they tend to inhibit acetylcholinesterase. (in turn increase acetylcholine)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals