Codeine For Sleep?

Sadcaptain

New member here, posted on the meet and greet thread

My first question is to do with sleep, which is the main reason I ended up where I am (low-carb, terrible sleep, running on adernaline for months/years)

The only thing that ever put me back to sleep during my 'wide awake at 4am and too wired to go back to sleep' days has been codeine. It seems likely it was cortisol that was waking me up/keeping me awake, but it just seems odd that taking just 80mg of codeine allowed me to have another hour or so of sleep, when nothing (and I mean nothing - tried all the sleeping medications) else ever did. Tried googling but found nothing.

Anyone got any ideas about the science behind this? or was it all placebo?..

Frankdee20

Wow, from the frying pan to the fire

paymanz

I think ray would not recommend codeine.

Have you also tried cyproheptadine and diphenhydramine?

Another great drug is clonidine, which lowers your adrenalin.

Frankdee20

Codeine is one of three naturally occurring alkaloids in the Opium poppy. Should only be reserved for acute pain relief short term. If that. Stop, or you'll surely develop tolerance and mess up your brain chemistry.

OP
S

Sadcaptain

Yes it was never a long term or regular thing. It’s been several weeks since I had any. I was purely interested in the science behind it, why that put me to sleep when nothing else could

Frankdee20

Yeah, this used to happen to me early on, waking up like 4,5,6 and can't sleep. I'm not going to claim I know the science behind why, but try anything you can other than narcotics. You'll get there, but it takes time, and trial and error.

L

lollipop

Hi @Sadcaptain, I read in your other thread that you get 6-7 hours a night. Though not perfect, not horrible in my opinion. I remember shooting for this goal :):

What helped me when I wake up at 4:00am is to have some fruit and cheese or a glass of milk and I fall back asleep.

BingDing

I did read somewhere about using codeine for sleeping. Last spring I had a long overnight flight coming up and I can never sleep on planes. So I went to a walk-in clinic and asked the doc for low dose codeine and explained why I wanted it. He wouldn't do it but gave me some benzo, I think it was Lorazepam. That is the first and only benzo I'd ever done and it worked just fine. I got feeling happy go lucky and got to sleep.

But a month after I got home I started thinking about doing another one just for fun. So I threw the rest of them out. From what I've read getting hooked on benzos is just as bad as opiates.

Frankdee20

A lot of opiates do, ever hear of the Heroin itchies ?

DemiDee

I'm sorry, I'm new here so only just discovered this thread. Like the OP, I find that codeine is the only thing that will help me to sleep well too, when having a restless night or an otherwise 'insomniac' night. I presume that the OP's 80mg was a typo. I generally take 2 x 8mg for migraines, but have found that they also reduce my anxiety incredibly well, and definitely help sleep. Personally I have no side effects but do know that it causes nausea in some people.

opson123

Dunno about sleep, but codeine helps with my gut pain, all pain basically disappears almost immediately.

A friend said codeine helped with his gut pain, so I decided to try it. Instant whole body relaxation, could take deep breaths easily and gut pain disappeared and I got a bowel movement. I can't remember the last time I felt so relaxed and pain free. I couldn't actually feel my gut anymore, everything felt normal, "oh wow, is this how you're supposed to feel".

Makes me wonder, if all my gut issues are actually from my sky high anxiety and stress. I'm basically on fight or flight mode 24/7, and have been for 5+ years.

Sorry, thread necro.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals