Animal fats worsen sleep / make me wake up in middle of the night.

jet9

Guys hi

Did anyone else notice that animal fats (tallow, marrow, fatty meat cuts, etc) effect sleep quality?
Even small amounts, like yesterday i added 10g of tallow to 11am meal (yes, not 11pm) and i had difficulty falling asleep, and then woke up at 4am and couldn't go back to sleep not matter what. Usually i sleep soundly till 6:30am.

I tolerate eggs fine, MUFAs (olive oil, avocado) is also ok, but not the fats listed above.

p.s. I used to be paleo for 5 years and ate lots of animal fats and seemed to be ok at that time, last 3 years i eat high carb (lots of fruit and tubers) + seafood/shelfish, chicken, eggs and feel much better comparing to paleo days. From time to time i have odd craving for animal fats (tallow, marrow, fatty meat cuts) but they don't like me anymore :)

Anyone else?

Sefton10

Guys hi

Did anyone else notice that animal fats (tallow, marrow, fatty meat cuts, etc) effect sleep quality?
Even small amounts, like yesterday i added 10g of tallow to 11am meal (yes, not 11pm) and i had difficulty falling asleep, and then woke up at 4am and couldn't go back to sleep not matter what. Usually i sleep soundly till 6:30am.

I tolerate eggs fine, MUFAs (olive oil, avocado) is also ok, but not the fats listed above.

p.s. I used to be paleo for 5 years and ate lots of animal fats and seemed to be ok at that time, last 3 years i eat high carb (lots of fruit and tubers) + seafood/shelfish, chicken, eggs and feel much better comparing to paleo days. From time to time i have odd craving for animal fats (tallow, marrow, fatty meat cuts) but they don't like me anymore :)

Anyone else?
I find isolated animal fats like tallow irritating to the gut, which can impact sleep. No such issues with cocoa butter and dairy fat (primarily feta cheese and goat milk at the moment).

TheCodez

Saturated fat pushes the autonomic nervous system in the sympathetic direction about as potently as anything you can eat. For folks that already tend toward sympathetic dominance, this can be problematic if consumed in too great a quantity. You may be able to balance it with some potent parasympathetic stimulator like magnesium.

dlind70

And why is waking up at 4 bad for you? What about the farmers who have to keep that schedule. Many people sleep in phases. Also, waking up at lung time at 4 am, according to solar timing and Meridian timing meaning you're actually healthy. Cheeses could have strontium in them. I believe Ray has a quote about fat having less radioactive strontium then even vegetables. Strontium is involved in lung function

aniciete

I find isolated animal fats like tallow irritating to the gut, which can impact sleep. No such issues with cocoa butter and dairy fat (primarily feta cheese and goat milk at the moment).
Do you still notice this with tallow? I bought some grass fed and finished tallow and I think it doesn’t digest properly. It also tastes like ***t lol

Dean

My issue has always been with "meat" protein (unless it is gelatinous) late in the day. No such sleep problems with dairy or eggs.

Sefton10

Do you still notice this with tallow? I bought some grass fed and finished tallow and I think it doesn’t digest properly. It also tastes like ***t lol
Not had tallow/animal fats for a long while now. Cocoa butter and egg yolks are the main fats in my diet.