Clonazepam (rivotril)

My background last december im having tremors shakiness and unusual heartbeat that makes me not sleep for three day straight. Even i feel tired i cannot sleep and im just on the bed close my eyes and cannot sleep. The tremors or something is moving is at the upper back near lungs, back of head and heartbeat is different.

So out of desperation of not sleeping i took rivotril 1 mg and my head move involuntary of 3 to 5 seconds and normalize. My mother the one who gave me the rivotril. At first i dont want to take it because its a regulated drug. But i dont know what is happening in my body so i took it. Before taking the rivotril i went to the ER and have CBC, electrolytes and even the TSH came out normal. Was given antihistimine and told to go home and sleep. The itarax brand of antihistamine work a day. The next day it did not work.

I went to another laboratory to check again my TSH, T4 T3 FT3 FT4

And these are the result.

T3 1.06 (0.80-2.0 ng/ml)
T4 105.3 (66.0 - 181.0 nmol/l)
FT3 5.09 (3.10 - 6.8 pmol/ l)
FT4 17.79 (12.0 - 22.0 pmol/l)
Ultrasensitive HTSH 6.57 (0.270 - 4.20 miu/L)

Im semi-peating since 2013(im not taking any thyroid medicaton) lots of ice cream and cheese. Mostly foods. But this november im undereating becasue of work and worries.

I was diagnosed subclinical hypothyroidsm i think year 1999 or 2001 and started taking year 2002 T4meds 25mcg. For a time i tried stopping for a year the T4 because i think it made me lost weight but i think im just not eating well. When i learned about ray peat i tried for 3 years stopping 2013 to 2015 and it work lots of ice cream, cheese, sugary drinks, fruits.

We dont have T3 and NDT in my country.

Is this clonazepam safe? I read it lowers gaba and serotonin? My endo told me to go a neuropsych and ask to me take rivotril for 2weeks straight 1mg and after 2 weeks everyother day.

By the way when my mother gave me the rivortril (not yet seen by the neuropsych) i just take them for two days and of the third day and tried to sleep without rivotril and and on the fourth day i didnot work.

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Clonazepam is in the benzodiazepine family and may inhibit mitochondrial respiration. See this link:
https://raypeatforum.com/community/posts/103415/
The first generation antihistamines and possibly other tactics mentioned on the forum might be a safer route to explore especially if you are looking at long-term use.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
hi blossom in layman's term what is mitochondral respiration?
It's what we are working on optimizing here and a key part of Peat's work. It's sometimes called cellular respiration and put in simplified terms it is the process of cells turning fuel into energy. It's something we don't want to interfere with if at all possible.
I used clonazepam years ago and as you can see I'm still around but it wasn't much fun quitting that drug. People have to make their own choices based on their situation but I did want to provide that information as it seems important.

milk

Clonazepam worked excellently for anxiety the couple times I tried it. It definitely makes me shed more hair than usual, though. I'm sure someone can give a scientific breakdown of why it's not peaty/bad for metabolism.

Cyproheptadine (Peat recommened) lowers serotonin and is renowned for its anxiety-alleviating and sleep-inducing effects, which I can attest to.

OP
HealthisWealth
Thanks blossom and milk.

In my country we dont have cyproheptadine. What other list of antihistamine do you recommend? I read about here about clemastine post by haidut. Brand name in my country marsthine. Or do you have any any list cyproheptadine like alternatives?

I tried itarax (hydroxizine) It work on the first day and cannot sleep the second day.

My symptoms are shakiness when i was not taking either T4 and Clonazepam. Will redo the Thyroid Test. If i start taking T4 when should i test if its working already?

Blossom what were the symptons when you quit clonazepam? My doctor told me take it for 14 days 1mg and for the next two weeks every other day.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Blossom what were the symptons when you quit clonazepam? My doctor told me take it for 14 days 1mg and for the next two weeks every other day.
I don't remember anything physically bad happening other than a return of the anxiety that seemed somewhat worse than it had been originally. I went back and forth with clonazepam for years until I decided I had to explore other ways of managing anxiety and sleep if I didn't want to continue to feel dependent on the drug. Your situation seems different than mine at this point and I do believe short term use isn't as risky. I know that the antihistamines doxylamine and benadryl have helped some forum members with sleep issues.

OP
HealthisWealth
Thanks again blossom. Will check doxylamine if its available in my country. But benadryl is popular here but i remember it makes me drowsy.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals