Hypocholesterolemia - What Could Be The Cause?

Murtaza

i got a blood panel done a month ago, the results are following :

total serum cholesterol 94 mg/dl
serum triglycerides 59 mg/dl
vit D 110 nmol/L
fasting blood glucose 4.3 mmol/L
Tsh 3.37
free t3 6.33 pmol/L
free t4 18.95 pmol/L

the main reason for doing this blood test was hair fall. the tsh is high but the low cholesterol really came as a shock for me. at these levels even if enough t3 is present my body wont be able to convert it into protective steroids. So to raise it i started consuming orange juice, 5-6 eggs per day, coconut oil tbsp with every meal and ice cream before bed. after doing this for a month i tested my cholesterol again and it barely moved to 96 mg/dl.

im a 21 year old male and my diet is not very peaty as im in university, so i eat out almost everyday. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing such low levels? and no, im not taking any thyroid med right now

rei

The reference range of free triiodothyronine (FT3) in adults is 260-480 pg/dL, or 4-7.4 pmol/L

You could try supplementing thyroid to increase it to upper end of reference range, or supply a good multivitamin to hopefully exclude any deficiency as reason for thyroid and steroidogenesis not working. After those measures intestinal stress/endotoxin is afaik the most common reason for thyroid not working, and cholesterol is used to neutralize endotoxin, so it might be the cause for low cholesterol.

Last edited:
OP
M

Murtaza

The reference range of free triiodothyronine (FT3) in adults is 260-480 pg/dL, or 4-7.4 pmol/L

You could try supplementing thyroid to increase it to upper end of reference range, or supply a good multivitamin to hopefully exclude any deficiency as reason for thyroid and steroidogenesis not working. After those measures intestinal stress/endotoxin is afaik the most common reason for thyroid not working.
my ft3 seems to be in range, its just that my body isnt producing enough cholesterol to be converted into downstream hormones. i was actually supplementing cynomel and cynoplus about 6 months ago.

but didnt feel any effect on temps or pulse.

OP
M

Murtaza

also im seriously considering getting the cholesterol powder from lifegivingstore. if anyone has postive experiences with that please chime in

i got a blood panel done a month ago, the results are following :

total serum cholesterol 94 mg/dl
serum triglycerides 59 mg/dl
vit D 110 nmol/L
fasting blood glucose 4.3 mmol/L
Tsh 3.37
free t3 6.33 pmol/L
free t4 18.95 pmol/L

the main reason for doing this blood test was hair fall. the tsh is high but the low cholesterol really came as a shock for me. at these levels even if enough t3 is present my body wont be able to convert it into protective steroids. So to raise it i started consuming orange juice, 5-6 eggs per day, coconut oil tbsp with every meal and ice cream before bed. after doing this for a month i tested my cholesterol again and it barely moved to 96 mg/dl.

im a 21 year old male and my diet is not very peaty as im in university, so i eat out almost everyday. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing such low levels? and no, im not taking any thyroid med right now

"supply a good multivitamin to hopefully exclude any deficiency as reason for thyroid and steroidogenesis not working"
+1

davvid_1

Hey, do you know your red blood labs? Ive found I have thalassemia minor, symptomless except maybe minor anemia. Reed Blood Count is usually abnormally high (mine is 7.26, normal range: 4.5 - 5.9) , while Mean corpuscular volume is abnormally low (mine is 57, range: 81 - 95). Ive recently found a lot of papers linking low cholesterol with all types of thalassemia, apparently its not very well understood but the theory is the high creation of red blood cells use up a lot of cholesterol or something, not sure hard to understand. Abit shitty knowing i may never be able to produce proper amounts cholesterol and protective steroids.

If anyone has any insight I would also appreciate.
I know unlikely but i feel @haidut would find this interesting.

Hypocholesterolaemia in Thalassaemia – Pathogenesis, Implications and Clinical Effects - touchONCOLOGY
Lipid Profile in Minor Thalassemic Patients: A Historical Cohort Study - PubMed
Error - Cookies Turned Off

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals