Chronic swelling and puffiness on the cheeks | Ask for help

werams

Forum Supporter
Hello everyone,
I know that the topic of swelling has already been discussed on this forum, but I have never heard of anyone describing their problem based on actual photos of their face. Why I decided to include a photo of my face in this post to better illustrate what I have been struggling with since childhood.

I've only been peating for 8 months and I'm already seeing improvements in my daily functioning, but I don't see any improvement in my cheeks, which have been swollen for as long as I can remember.

I will be very grateful for any tips and advice on reducing this swelling. Thank you in advance :))

IMG_8922.png

How do you know they are swollen? They may swollen but you may just be more predispositioned to store fat on your face, but even then, your face is not that round, and you seem to have a normal tone and shape to your face.

I suffer from a swollen face, aswell and the inflammation changes over the day - with it being less swollen in the evening. A low protein, high carb diet, helped the most and taking thyroid helped a lot as well.

youngsinatra

A puffy face is a sign of hypothyroidism. Have you gotten a thyroid panel, or measured your underarm temperature and heart rate?

macheddy

Hello everyone,
I know that the topic of swelling has already been discussed on this forum, but I have never heard of anyone describing their problem based on actual photos of their face. Why I decided to include a photo of my face in this post to better illustrate what I have been struggling with since childhood.

I've only been peating for 8 months and I'm already seeing improvements in my daily functioning, but I don't see any improvement in my cheeks, which have been swollen for as long as I can remember.

I will be very grateful for any tips and advice on reducing this swelling. Thank you in advance :))

View attachment 58067
are they tender? worse in the morning?

OP
werams

werams

Forum Supporter
How do you know they are swollen? They may swollen but you may just be more predispositioned to store fat on your face, but even then, your face is not that round, and you seem to have a normal tone and shape to your face.

I suffer from a swollen face, aswell and the inflammation changes over the day - with it being less swollen in the evening. A low protein, high carb diet, helped the most and taking thyroid helped a lot as well.
The fact that it is swelling is my guess because it gets worse when my stress increases (hunger, sleep deficit).

As for stored fat, I don't rule it out either, because my diet used to be rich in PUFA

OP
werams

werams

Forum Supporter
A puffy face is a sign of hypothyroidism. Have you gotten a thyroid panel, or measured your underarm temperature and heart rate?
I didn't have a blood test for my thyroid because, truth be told, I'm afraid of needles. However, I will get around to it in the coming months.

As for body temperature, it is lower and fluctuates around 35.5 degrees Celsius

macheddy

My eyes are a little puffy in the mornin which i think is relatively common. Judging by your profile pic pic it looks like it goes away. Any chance you have tooth issues?

OP
werams

werams

Forum Supporter
My eyes are a little puffy in the mornin which i think is relatively common. Judging by your profile pic pic it looks like it goes away. Any chance you have tooth issues?
it has not disappeared for several years. I don't have any dental problems

Peater

I didn't have a blood test for my thyroid because, truth be told, I'm afraid of needles. However, I will get around to it in the coming months.

As for body temperature, it is lower and fluctuates around 35.5 degrees Celsius

Can you get a DIY home test? You just prick your finger with a lancet. It's not worse than getting a small splinter.

bloooeh

@werams
Could be retaining fluid; stress related… Have you tried doing guasha on your face (including forehead, cheeks, jaw line and neck)? Maybe explore sauna to cause the body and face to sweat.

mayku-T-meelo

Cześć, witaj na forum.

Type in "puffy" and you will get your clues. I suppose, if your diet is in check, progest-e as a supplement would help as it is directly opposing cortisol and works synergistically to promote thyroid function.

I myself started the journey with first listening to and then reading Peat around 6 years ago and I remember I was frustrated because at first I couldn't raise my basal temperature. I haven't supplemented thyroid, so I can't comment on that, but I was able to raise my temperatures gradually during these years by eliminating stressors and PUFA, listening to Peat and my gut.

I'd work on being well fed every day and paying attention to daily temperatures fluctuation and see what type of activities and foods help with making you warm-blooded.

Mauritio

Hello everyone,

View attachment 58067
For me that is mostly related to intestinal health and thyroid. I suspect that that causes endotoxin overload which stresses the liver which increases estrogen and cortisol, which then can increase swelling. You also look like you have a bit of a dark circle thing going on. To me that is also related to intestinal health / irritation.
For me stress and sleep deprivation can definitely increase swelling in the face.

What helped me is making my liver work better, taking T3 and caffeine (in that order; caffeine only if my liver already works well otherwise it makes me puffy)

A weird side fact is that every time a dormant viral infection rises up in me again, it increases my facial puffiness, not sure why exactly.

Your body temp is very low, so that is a good clue. You can't really expect to function well on 35.5 C° . You could try a very low dose of T3 (0.5-1mcg) and see how you react to that and if it helps. Actually you should do that regardless of your facial swelling because when your body temp is that low you are almost certainly hypothyroid and facial swelling is a classical sign of hypothyroidism.
Thyroid is the gold standard for myxedema for many decades.
Here is a before and after thyroid for people with myxedema (these are extreme cases of hypothyroidism).
Broda Barnes talks about that a lot in his book: "hypothyroidism the unsuspected illness" The book can be found on the forum somewhere for free.

1699701552860.png

Last edited:

mayku-T-meelo

For me that is mostly related to intestinal health and thyroid. I suspect that that causes endotoxin overload which stresses the liver which increases estrogen and cortisol, which then can increase swelling. You also look like you have a bit of a dark circle thing going on. To me that is also related to intestinal health / irritation.
For me stress and sleep deprivation can definitely increase swelling in the face.

What helped me is making my liver work better, taking T3 and caffeine (in that order; caffeine only if my liver already works well otherwise it makes me puffy)

A weird side fact is that every time a dormant viral infection rises up in me again, it increases my facial puffiness, not sure why exactly.

Your body temp is very low, so that is a good clue. You can't really expect to function well on 35.5 C° . You could try a very low dose of T3 (0.5-1mcg) and see how you react to that and if it helps. Actually you should do that regardless of your facial swelling because when your body temp is that low you are almost certainly hypothyroid and facial swelling is a classical sign of hypothyroidism.
Thyroid is the gold standard for myxedema for many decades.
Here is a before and after thyroid for people with myxedema (these are extreme cases of hypothyroidism).
Broda Barnes talks about that a lot in his book: "hypothyroidism the unsuspected illness" The book can be found on the forum somewhere for free.

View attachment 58089

Attachments

• Broda O. Barnes, M.D. and Lawrence Galton - Hypothyroidism_ The Unsuspected Illness-Harper & R...pdf
    95.6 MB · Views: 32

PopSocket

You are very beautiful even with slightly baby cheeks. So I wouldn't worry too much. But this does seem like thyroid issues especially with the low body temperature. You need full thyroid panel with rt3 also included and then find a way to raise body temperature either through continued "peating" or through proper thyroid supplement combined with a good diet. Being with low temperatures is not good long term and can lead to a lot more serious issues than the cheeks.

In the meanwhile I would recommend good quality MCT oil + Gua Sha treatment 2x per day for the puffiness as a quick temporary fix. The water gets flushed out when done consistently for just a few days. When doing the treatment you need to get the water from the center to the periphery. There are videos on youtube that show how it is done. What most of them miss is that the stone needs to be warm (cleaned under hot water) for it to work best. Makes the face chiseled and more attractive.

Hello everyone,

View attachment 58067
“Peating” on this form is loosely defined. What does a day of “Peating” look like for you? What did you eat yesterday?

Jonk

Have you read these? Salt, energy, metabolic rate, and longevity and Water: swelling, tension, pain, fatigue, aging.

From the first article: "...He explained that sodium, in association with serum albumin, is essential for maintaining blood volume. Without adequate sodium, the serum albumin is unable to keep water from leaving the blood and entering the tissues. The tissues swell as the volume of blood is reduced."

Maybe try eating a salt and sugary snack before bed!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals