Chelating tannins in Yerba Mate ? (as a source of thiamine)

Apple

Any suggestion to chelate tannins in yerba mate ?

Yerba Mate is a good source of thiamine and other vitamins.
But it is also very rich in tannins which interfere with digestion which makes yerba mate practically useless to me.
Unlike coffee , Yerba Mate supresses digestion. (very bad for me)
(Tannins bind very tightly to proteins by forming hydrogen bonds with the –NH groups of peptides or proteins and these bonds cannot be cleaved by digestive enzymes.)

possible solutions:
- Mixing with gelatin (proteins bind Tannins)
- baking soda ( doesn't work for me since baking soda also supresses digestion)
- using second infusion and discarding first one (tannins are quickly leached into water , very soluble, but so is thiamine)
- mixing with milk didn't help much

Last edited:

Dave Clark

Maybe try guayusa, which is very much like yerba mate, but has less tannins, from what I had read. I believe yerba mate has less tannins than green tea.

清貴杉山

Im still looking for the tannin thing,if im not wrong tannins are bitter,yerba is not super bitter as black tea or even coffee,maybe something else in yerba is upseting your digestion?

OP
Apple

Apple

Maybe try guayusa, which is very much like yerba mate, but has less tannins, from what I had read. I believe yerba mate has less tannins than green tea.
Im still looking for the tannin thing,if im not wrong tannins are bitter,yerba is not super bitter as black tea or even coffee,maybe something else in yerba is upseting your digestion?
there must be a reason that yerba has not been not adopted by Ray Peat. All those tannins and antioxidants can supress digestion . Some people can drink mate all day, I have low stomach acid and yerba literally kills my digestion. It is known that yerba is carcinogenic.

I was not able find much info on content of thiamine in guayusa.
But I found that Hibiscus tea is very rich source of Thiamine and low in tannins. So I'll see if I can find it for a reasonable price. But it maybe too acidic, may require adding a bit of backing soda or milk:)

清貴杉山

there must be a reason that yerba has not been not adopted by Ray Peat. All those tannins and antioxidants can supress digestion . Some people can drink mate all day, I have low stomach acid and yerba literally kills my digestion. It is known that yerba is carcinogenic.

I was not able find much info on content of thiamine in guayusa.
But I found that Hibiscus tea is very rich source of Thiamine and low in tannins. So I'll see if I can find it for a reasonable price. But it maybe too acidic, may require adding a bit of backing soda or milk:)
Wrong,yerba is not carninogenic.you are misleaded by a half readen study,yerba caused GI tract cancer when drinked at 110 celcius,hotter than boiling water,this happened in brazil mostly,if you drink coffee at that temperature would be carcinogenic too.i read that study a while ago.Also how much hibiscus tea you have to drink to have a substantial amount of thiamine?

OP
Apple

Apple

Wrong,yerba is not carninogenic.you are misleaded by a half readen study,yerba caused GI tract cancer when drinked at 110 celcius,hotter than boiling water,this happened in brazil mostly,if you drink coffee at that temperature would be carcinogenic too.i read that study a while ago.Also how much hibiscus tea you have to drink to have a substantial amount of thiamine?
Yes, I noticed that those studies are not complete. When it is drinken through bombilla , it is easy to misinterpret temperature.
So far I'm not convinced about safety of yerba.
Maybe @Amazoniac can help (safety of yerba) ? He always finds reliable studies :)

Amazoniac

清貴杉山

What do you think of safety of Yerba ? :)
i read a ton about yerba before mate,im from argentina,i never found anything besides the dangers of the super hot liquid and metal straw,if i find something related to the mate itself i will hit you a DM

Dave Clark

i read a ton about yerba before mate,im from argentina,i never found anything besides the dangers of the super hot liquid and metal straw,if i find something related to the mate itself i will hit you a DM
There was a cancer issue with drinking hot green tea. Moral of the story, don't drink anything at real high temperatures. Otherwise, all these teas have wonderful health benefits when consumed in a reasonable fashion.

清貴杉山

I haven't looked at it, but it's a traditional beverage, praised as coffee by some people and drank in copious amounts. How it's processed is one concern:
- Yerba Mate Better Than Coffee?
@Apollo read this thread,i checked and there is good info,as i said,the only dangers are about drinking it too hot,i forgot about some varieties are smoked but you can avoid them easily,they always said if its smoked on the package.

OP
Apple

Apple

I haven't looked at it, but it's a traditional beverage, praised as coffee by some people and drank in copious amounts. How it's processed is one concern:
- Yerba Mate Better Than Coffee?
Thanks Amazoniac! I guess I will try different brands
@Apollo read this thread,i checked and there is good info,as i said,the only dangers are about drinking it too hot,i forgot about some varieties are smoked but you can avoid them easily,they always said if its smoked on the package.
I will read that thread. Thanks for the link

OP
Apple

Apple

I have never seen any labels on mate saying smoked. Is it "ahumada" in spanish ?
What brand do you prefer?

Last edited:

清貴杉山

I have never seen any labels on mate saying smoked. Is it "ahumada" in spanish ?
hahaha yes ,ahumado means smoked in spanish,im from argentina as i said and i can help you guys with this thread,the KEY word you want to look for if you look for a yerba are:
BARBACUÁ:its the traditional method of smoking and drying the herbs,not popular anymore and just reserver for certain brands
SISTEMA TRADICIONAL DE SECADO:means traditional drying system,avoid them as they are usually smoked
if they say smoke/smoky flavor avoid them too
there is plenty of common brands,it will be easier if you let me know what brands you have avaliable and i can say if they are smoked or not

清貴杉山

i bought usually "andresito" and "playadito" they are the best tasting yerbas,a bit expensive but like everything here lol
will attach pics
ym-andresito-tradicional-500gr1-873785c0025cbf989a15949916170372-640-0.jpg
51o10o2JjOL._AC_SX466_.jpg

OP
Apple

Apple

@MarianoBecchi , @Amazoniac , @Dave Clark
I found a comprehensive paper on mate/coffee and their effects on obecity , cancer, cardiovascular disease if someone is interested.
Start with page 42 - 'Health beneficial effects of coffee and yerba mate'

What brought my attention :
In overweight patients, yerba mate extract significantly delayed gastric emptying, decreased the perceived time to fullness and ultimately induced a significant weight loss. It is used as a dietary supplement in slimming strategies. No wonder I lose appetite after mate.

Attachments

• Mate and Coffee.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 13
OP
Apple

Apple

And one more paper COMPOSITION AND BIOACTIVE PROPERTIES OF YERBA MATE

Attachments

• COMPOSITION AND BIOACTIVE PROPERTIES OF YERBA MATE .pdf
    919.4 KB · Views: 15

清貴杉山

@MarianoBecchi , @Amazoniac , @Dave Clark
I found a comprehensive paper on mate/coffee and their effects on obecity , cancer, cardiovascular disease if someone is interested.
Start with page 42 - 'Health beneficial effects of coffee and yerba mate'

What brought my attention :
In overweight patients, yerba mate extract significantly delayed gastric emptying, decreased the perceived time to fullness and ultimately induced a significant weight loss. It is used as a dietary supplement in slimming strategies. No wonder I lose appetite after mate.
excellent find brother,yes,indeed,here mate is prescribed when you cant stop overeating,as i said i used succefully to drop some fat pounds,i always had it after a good meal and it reduced my appetite further,also good focus and energy punch

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals