Beyond milk and OJ

Discussion in 'Ray Peat Topics' started by 4peatssake, May 27, 2013.

1. 4peatssake

4peatssake Member

Ray Peat is so much more than milk and OJ.

2. j.

j. Guest

How do we occupy our involuntary systems?

3. OP
    4peatssake

4peatssake Member

Well, I'm reluctant to speak for RP, but "occupy" has many meanings, in this case I take it to mean:

To seize possession of and maintain control over by or as if by conquest.

He uses the key phrase "so-called" involuntary systems. So paying attention is important. That can be achieved in various ways, meditation, painting, playing, mindfulness, walking in nature, laughter, breathwork - involving one's mind/consciousness not just one's brain.

It's akin to going off auto pilot and taking complete charge of your life.

:2cents

4. OP
    4peatssake

4peatssake Member

Oh and music and dance too! Can completely alter consciousness - depending on the music. :P

5. Rem

Rem Member

I think that the basic training of mind, the practice of attention/imagination through senses, is very much like nutrition. Perceptions are full of nutrients for the mind (it's just my story... but Alfred Tomatis for instance said that noise was very important for the brain), but they need, first to be hunted/gathered through attention (no supermarket), second to be processed/digested through "evocation" (recreation in the mind). The Chinese have a word for these twin faculties that are attention & imagination : Yi. For me it's important not to forget the imaginative aspect of "mindfulness", because just "listening to" music can be fruitless (mentally speaking) ... I think that we need to put effort in playing with the collected sounds, for instance, listening with the project of memorizing, or trying to appreciate different qualities : height ? length ? warm, cold sound ? etc etc...

6. gretchen

gretchen Member

And don't forget aesthetics:
    Curiosity, esthetics, creativity, and stimulation are necessarily and deeply linked to metabolic efficiency and structural-anatomical development.

7. Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

Judging by some of the other parts of the interview, I think internalizing the continuous critique of the establishment is important for that "reactivation".

8. pranarupa

pranarupa Member

....Breathe Less.

Breathing is typically claimed to be "controlled" by the respiratory centre in the medulla, voluntary reduction of respiratory rate involves the activity of the cortex of the brain, function builds structure and so attention to the breath should encourage cortical growth, literally expanding the brain.